Follow

Cyclops

Character » Cyclops appears in 11232 issues.

The first X-Man, Scott Summers possesses the mutant ability to fire powerful concussive blasts through his eyes that act as a portal to another dimension full of the force that makes up his optic blast. He is visually distinctive for the ruby quartz visor he wears to control his devastating power. A born leader, Cyclops succeeded his mentor Professor X to command the X-Men.

Cyclops' new ability query (This Will contain SPOILERS babeh)

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Baberaham_Lincoln

HI!!! my first topic on Comicvine, pretty sweet ^_^. On point though.

After reading uncanny X-men #1, What exactly is Cyclops' new power?? I saw it... but didn't quiet understand. With his new powers though... is he able to butt rape heroes like Captain America now X/

Sorry if this is retarded.... i'm semi-retarded

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

He doesn't have a new power. He just has very little control over his blasts now since the output seems much greater than before.

One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By One_Eye

@god_spawn: @Baberaham_Lincoln: And he seems to tire out more so now from excessive use.

Kain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Kain

Not a new power, just a power boost to his optic blast.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Gambit1024

How did he get an upgrade? Secondary mutation?

Kain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kain

@Gambit1024 said:

Nope. Side effect from his possession of the Phoenix force.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Gambit1024

@Kain said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Ah. That makes sense, I guess... Did the rest of the 5 get power-ups? Because Namor's the same in New Avengers.

Doombert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Doombert

Probably a result of containing the whole Phoenix vs Namor and the others that only had a fraction of its power.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By John Valentine

@Gambit1024 said:

@Kain said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Ah. That makes sense, I guess... Did the rest of the 5 get power-ups? Because Namor's the same in New Avengers.

What's the change to Namor's powers?

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By cameron83

@Gambit1024 said:

@Kain said:

@Gambit1024 said:

No.I think Magneto has incredibly limited control of his magnetic powers now.And Emma lost her telepathy.Cyclops enhancement was already stated I guess,and Magik is same old same old

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@One_Eye said:

@god_spawn: @Baberaham_Lincoln: And he seems to tire out more so now from excessive use.

Well, he has always been like that. He has just managed to build up his stamina and control the output better over the years to where he didn't get tired as easily. I mean when he used to push himself, he would fall over almost dead to right before AvX where he can obliterate the entire area and not it bug him so much. He's kind of like in a mix of those states. He can't control the output again as it seems in overdrive.

@Gambit1024:

They really aren't power ups, they are more or less broken in some fashion with varying results. Emma has no telepathy but still has her diamond form. Cyclops's output seems higher but he is good for like 1 shot right now but just levels the area. Magik was given the only upgrade without a backlash as she can manipulate her limbo energy in new ways. What they are have yet to be specified. Colossus is sort of jigsawed (he is stuck between human and metal form) and is forced to wear this special armor that allows him to control his powers. And Magneto has limited magnetic control due to being hit by the force or something.

@John Valentine:

Namor has no change that we know of. Hickman either hasn't brought it to attention or nothing is wrong. He's where he was prior to being possessed as far as we know.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By John Valentine

Magneto has been significantly weakened, Emma's lost her TP, Cyclops has greater output but limited control and he seems to fatigue more easily, Colossus has lost control of his transitioning into his organic metal state and Magik appears to be a lot stronger than before.

I'm not sure about Namor.

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By slimlim

I believe Cyclops has had a slight alteration to his powers along with a power boost. Uncanny X-Men seems to suggest that his blast is omni-directional now. Or at least can be. Whether he blasts and energy sphere around him or his blasts can twirl around him hasn't been made absolutely clear. From the pages of All New X-Men, his blasts do seem to twirl around a bit. But then again, that was at the start of his powers showing "problems". That coupled with artistic licence of both Bachalo and Immonen, its hard to say what exactly has changed about his Optic Blast other then he seems to have lost some control overit, and it seems to have received a power upgrade as well as being able to destroy more than what is in a straight line in front of him.

As for the rest of the P5 and Magneto, it seems all of them have had alterations besides Namor. but that remains to be seen.

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: This is super awesome feedback, thanks for clearing things up :]. I'm happy Cyclops got an upgrade tbh.

I wanna know though from everyone else, number one, you think cyclops can be a big time player in the marvel verse now?? and number two, is this 'change' or 'upgrade' for the better or for the worse?? (i know it's only been an issue in for Uncanny X-Men #1, but i'm talking about potential... long term thinking =D)

Thanks all.

chocobojam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By chocobojam

Cyclops doesn't really get new power nor his power is enhance in any way.

its just that he lost his ability to fully control his powers which make it seems to look like too powerful.

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By chasereis

@slimlim said:

Uncanny X-Men seems to suggest that his blast is omni-directional now.

I hope not, everyone seems to forget that Scott can ricochet his beams off of just about any surface with the skill of a trigonometry master. However the output seems more like his brother Alex's cosmic plasma blasts. I don't know if that is artistic license or intent.

CTG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CTG

@slimlim said:

I believe Cyclops has had a slight alteration to his powers along with a power boost. Uncanny X-Men seems to suggest that his blast is omni-directional now. Or at least can be. Whether he blasts and energy sphere around him or his blasts can twirl around him hasn't been made absolutely clear. From the pages of All New X-Men, his blasts do seem to twirl around a bit. But then again, that was at the start of his powers showing "problems". That coupled with artistic licence of both Bachalo and Immonen, its hard to say what exactly has changed about his Optic Blast other then he seems to have lost some control overit, and it seems to have received a power upgrade as well as being able to destroy more than what is in a straight line in front of him.

As for the rest of the P5 and Magneto, it seems all of them have had alterations besides Namor. but that remains to be seen.

Thank you!

I'm reading this thread like, "Did no one else see the blast was omni-directional? Really?"

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By chasereis

@CTG: Well actually I did some research and found a few example of wide beam impacts. He has fired many wide pattern cone (some were almost cylindrical) shaped blasts in earlier books notably in 80's. There may be some artistic license in there as well. I think I'll wait till someone in the book actually says that...or see a few artists replicate it.

The Finality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The Finality

It's probably going to be something similar to Cyclops powers in the Ultimate universe. Or maybe the Phoenix possession allowed him to reach his full potential, as he holds back to avoid the full destructive force of his powers. Maybe he'll gain control of it within time.

Kain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kain

@chocobojam said:

Cyclops doesn't really get new power nor his power is enhance in any way.

its just that he lost his ability to fully control his powers which make it seems to look like too powerful.

No, he's more powerful. His blasts had become so powerful that they were blasting his visor from his face. His control is limited to his visor, the fact that his visor can't even stay on due to the power of his blasts shows he's got a power increase. The reason he has lost control now is because they're more powerful.

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By chasereis

@Kain: Alternatively it could be that ruby quartz has been rendered less effective with no change in power levels, but there is very little evidence other than artistic license at this point...

AROSS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new problems with Cyclops' powers are not from the effects of the Phoenix Force. What the Phoenix truly does is enhancing the power of the host or granting them a form of psychic ability. What really happened in UXM-1, is that our protagonists have their powers broken, and it is done by someone far too familiar. The culprit behind the dampening of Magneto, Emma, Scott, and Colossus is none other than Dark Beast. A cruel and socio-psychopathic counterpart of one of the original X-Men, Dr. Henry "Hank" Philip Mccoy.

The same mad-scientist counterpart from the popular alternate X-Men reality of Earth-295, aka "The Age of Apocalypse". What he did to these four is infecting them with nano-sentinels. The very same microbots used by none other than Cassandra Nova in the past. These machines are the sole reason why the powers of our protagonists seem broken and uncontrollable in the first place.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 god_spawn  Moderator

@aross: No, it was pretty clear it was the Phoenix Force broke their powers. Nowhere did Dark Beast come in contact with Colossus because he not only was Colossus in hiding, he was in a completely different book. It was Cable’s vest that helped him. And Magik was more of an upgrade but when Dark Beast did infect them it just made their powers worse and at points uncontrollable. Hence why when Cyke was shooting blasts at the school, he said it wasn’t him, or it was Magik. I can’t remember but both were involved and their powers were malfunctioning. It doesn’t help that after the nano-sentinel infection it still took them time to retrain their abilities. Emma overcame, Scott was eventually depicted as having his normal blasts.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 god_spawn  Moderator

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.