Cyclops full power

#1 Posted by staphin (193 posts) - - Show Bio

there is a lot of speculation about cyclops full power how strong do you think it is and why the writers don't use it

#2 Posted by New_World_Order (11243 posts) - - Show Bio

#3 Posted by AnyWhichWayButUp (760 posts) - - Show Bio

The eyes see 180 degrees so the blast radius would be too much for anyone and cyclops would end up killing everyone which isn't his thing.

#4 Posted by lightsout (1811 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually its about 120* (including peripheral) in humans :D

#5 Posted by Havenless (1278 posts) - - Show Bio

@staphin said:

there is a lot of speculation about cyclops full power how strong do you think it is and why the writers don't use it

I would put him below Havok yet above Gambit in sheer power.

#6 Posted by BlackWind (4113 posts) - - Show Bio

@ThunderGodsWrath said:

Exactly. He only had the visor off for a second and this is easily large building+ level destruction.

#7 Posted by Veshark (8560 posts) - - Show Bio

Hasn't he been described as capable of 'leveling mountains' or something? I don't know, it could be indulging in hyperbole...I'm pretty sure there's an article or a blog on the Internet somewhere detailing Cyclops' max powers though...

But I guess the entire idea about him not using his powers so much is a justified one - seeing as how he's very concerned with control because of his lack of a grip over his own powers.

#8 Posted by Avenger85 (1530 posts) - - Show Bio

Now his power has decreased. His blasts are stronger than what they used to be, but he can only do one or two before tiring out.

#9 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

If written as he should be in terms of power, when he cuts loose, he can drop cities and mountains. And when focused; cut a planet in half.

The last part was hyperbole, but considering how stupidly overpowered the rest of the X-Men have come, it's about right for the X-Man.

#11 Posted by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh. Cyclops has literally punched a hole through a series of canyons in the series with one blast. So, him leveling a mountain is not a hyperbole.

For those interested, I do not have the scans, but it was when Avalon fell and Cyke was in the outback with Scanner, Uniscone, and one or two other Acolytes. They were in a deep canyon and the old X-Men base was somewhere on the otherside. Cyke didn't even take his visor off. He just let loose one blast and blew right through, pulverising stone into dust.

#12 Posted by lorex (928 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkxSeraph said:

Eh. Cyclops has literally punched a hole through a series of canyons in the series with one blast. So, him leveling a mountain is not a hyperbole. For those interested, I do not have the scans, but it was when Avalon fell and Cyke was in the outback with Scanner, Uniscone, and one or two other Acolytes. They were in a deep canyon and the old X-Men base was somewhere on the otherside. Cyke didn't even take his visor off. He just let loose one blast and blew right through, pulverising stone into dust.

The depiction of his powers has changed over the years depending on the creative team, though I do recall he has been refered to as the guy that can blast holes on mountains. Also with the time you mentioned where Avalon crashed into the desert and he and a few Acolytes were trying to survive. He also blasted into the earth to get to water but I do not remember if it said how far down he had to go.

#13 Edited by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure how far down. But that issue was the first and last time I respected Cyclops and thought he was just a hard a$$ (for quite some time). He was full on leader mode in that issue, telling the acolytes to drink and keep moving, pushing Scanner just enough to get the job done, but not hurt herself.

It really highlighted, for me, how the Acolytes must have saw him: Man, this guys is freakin' nutso drill sergeant... but we all survived and made it and no worse for the wear. He's good.

Of course, within an issue or two it was gone and he was back to boyscout. Meh.

Which is why I like current Summers more.

#14 Posted by New_World_Order (11243 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackWind: Yep

#15 Posted by XsPectre28 (672 posts) - - Show Bio

cyclops full power really cant be measured because he along with havok absorb energy constantly but yet only scott has shoen some of his upper level optic blast powers as havok needs regulators to keep his power level in check but thats because his powers can expell from his whole body while scott only releases his powers from his eyes. i feel that thats what this new blast is about because most times when scott uses a blast of this level he has to remove his visor making me believe that the reason his powers are under his normal level of control is because a power boost that he is able to eventually control is on the horizon same as magneto who is suffering from lack of control as well & maybe even colossus but between hosting both the phoenix 7 the juggernaut who knows what colossus' power will become once the fluctuations have pasted.

#16 Posted by BlackWind (4113 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkxSeraph: Levelling a mountain, I have no problem believing.

But what about that busting a planet in half thing?

#17 Edited by God_Spawn (36011 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackWind said:

@DarkxSeraph: Levelling a mountain, I have no problem believing.

But what about that busting a planet in half thing?

I think it was issue 1 of Cyclops's mini series from some odd 10+ years ago. Anyways, he was fighting the Juggernaut and Black Tom Cassidy and said he hit Juggernaut with enough power to split a small planet in half with an optic blast. Cyclops was just indulging in hyperbole to describe the amount of force he hit Juggernaut with, not that he can hit with that much force.

This is different than "punching holes in mountains" because Cyclops has actually punched holes in mountains. No where has he ever shown he can split a planet in two nor do any of his showings suggest such.

#19 Posted by Baberaham_Lincoln (896 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger: I don't know if this is true, but i vaguely remember reading from some other forums, that Cyclops' eye blasts is just the peak of an entire iceberg (Cyclops' full power)... idk, i may just be talking out of my butthole so my bad if so, but if i was right, how else can he apply the energy from the optic blasts?? can he essentially manifest his entire body to become that red laser stuff? like proteus.

#21 Posted by royers13 (46 posts) - - Show Bio

His power levels have varied a lot, depending on the writer. If written well, my opinion, his blasts should be able to fell most any opponent. He has been written as being able to do so much damage and have so much power, yet many writers turn him down multiple notches just so they can have the story progress the way they want it to. We've seen him punch through mountains, punch a hole through the blob, break Onslaught's armor and more. Yet there are many times where they have him say, "I'm going full power." and then he does practically nothing with it.

#22 Posted by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio
" yet many writers turn him down multiple notches just so they can have the story progress the way they want it to"

This can be said of many characters. However, to say that Cyclops should just be able to blast away and defeat any enemy is kind of silly. What's the point of him having a team then? Army of sentinels? Okay. Broad beamed optic blast. Done. Oh, look... Magneto, bane of the X-Men back in the day... optic blast. Okay, done.

Turning every major battle into a 1 panel fight is what this would do. And you know what that would make? A bunch of boring stories, titles canceled, and people shaking their heads.

People give writers a LOT of hate around these parts and I don't get it... I don't like what some writers have done to some characters AT ALL, and dislike them, but if everyone knows so well what should be done with characters... why aren't they writing? Why not do their own book and try to work on getting to the coveted X-titles?

Meh. But, I digress. Haters gonna hate on anyone. Give everyone happiness and someone will complain about it.
#23 Posted by slimlim (254 posts) - - Show Bio

It's true there's no consistency with how powerful or what exactly his "full power" could be. the very essence of the character dictates that he is forever holding back. unlike wolverine (and some his hypocritical avenger buddies), Summers is not a natural born killer. he can be ruthless and even cold, but would usually draw the line at totally cutting loose on someone. So i accept that writers and artists tend to take creative liberties as to the full extent of his powers.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.