Follow

Cyclops

Character » Cyclops appears in 11232 issues.

The first X-Man, Scott Summers possesses the mutant ability to fire powerful concussive blasts through his eyes that act as a portal to another dimension full of the force that makes up his optic blast. He is visually distinctive for the ruby quartz visor he wears to control his devastating power. A born leader, Cyclops succeeded his mentor Professor X to command the X-Men.

Cyclops altered phoenix enhanced powers

Darksider555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Darksider555

In the recent All new X-men cyclops and the rest of the phoenix five have experienced alted powers:for instance emma and scotts powers arent function properly while iliyana can conjure energies from the limbo dimension.So my question to you is: how did the phoenix alter cykes powers and what sort of new abilities is he going to gain and what are you hoping it to be?please leave your anwsers below. :) Tnx.

PassionFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By PassionFlower

I think he is going to zig zag his beams ala Darkseid.

Darksider555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Darksider555

@PassionFlower said:

I think he is going to zig zag his beams ala Darkseid.

i was hoping that and the ability to generate fire flames from that dimension of his....

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

No flames. No reason to make that myth real.

Aside from that, they should just give him control like he did with the Phoenix Force but not enough to where he does not need his visor or glasses.

One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By One_Eye

@Darksider555: What's weird is that even Magneto's powers are wigging out.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DarkDay

@One_Eye said:

A lot of people are theorizing that that was Scott and personally I think it could be interesting if it's true. I'm thinking that maybe his body is absorbing more than just solar energy these days and adding other more exotic energy types and having them have unexpected effects on his powers could be kind of cool. I just hope he doesn't fall into Vulcan (I can manipulate all energy types) Mary Suedom.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@DarkDay said:

@One_Eye said:

A lot of people are theorizing that that was Scott and personally I think it could be interesting if it's true. I'm thinking that maybe his body is absorbing more than just solar energy these days and adding other more exotic energy types and having them have unexpected effects on his powers could be kind of cool. I just hope he doesn't fall into Vulcan (I can manipulate all energy types) Mary Suedom.

Interesting theory and I could see it happen. I haven't read the issue yet myself (I have it right next to me, just too lazy to get to it) but I can see Mags' powers wigging out due to like just being close to them and my theory on Cykes' powers going nuts was a weakening in the psionic field that surrounds him allowing his blasts to kind of go ...everywhere. But to be honest, if Bendis does make a mention of either or, then kudos for him. Cyclops absorbing solar radiation to help keep the apertures open and the psionic field aren't exactly touched upon very often.

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JohnnyGat

I'm curious to see how Colossus powers will act up.

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By slimlim

@DarkDay said:

@One_Eye said:

Yeah that would be kinda cool. gives his powers a new dimension. pretty much all his peers have had their powers develop over time. from secondary mutations to realising their potential to genetic altering. and all this time cyclops power has been essentially, "i can shoot lasers from my eyes" (yes i know they arent actually lasers). but my point is, his power, although useful is very one dimensonal compared to the superheroes of today. so its about time they explored something further. being able to absorb different energy types to have different outcomes to his blasts is indeed very interesting. its like Rogue meets Bishop, but with a twist. I for one would be happy if that is how his powers evolve. hopefully though, its something he can control so he can still fight alongside other "energy" mutants.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DarkDay

@god_spawn said:

@DarkDay said:

@One_Eye said:

Interesting theory and I could see it happen. I haven't read the issue yet myself (I have it right next to me, just too lazy to get to it) but I can see Mags' powers wigging out due to like just being close to them and my theory on Cykes' powers going nuts was a weakening in the psionic field that surrounds him allowing his blasts to kind of go ...everywhere. But to be honest, if Bendis does make a mention of either or, then kudos for him. Cyclops absorbing solar radiation to help keep the apertures open and the psionic field aren't exactly touched upon very often.

Well they're both theories that I think could turn out to be interesting in practice. Also LOL at the too lazy, I know that feeling. XD

Agreed though, because I think I'd like it very much if they touched on the mechanics of his powers more often.

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By stephens2177

i think it wpuld be cool.to have his optic blast turn into a very basic TK,like puttong a shield up in front of him,closing himself in his power then using it to propel.himself through the air,controlled blast direction and movement.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@DarkDay: Agreed. Focusing on the small things sometimes can make a huge difference in stories. And it shows writers have done their research.

Darksider555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Darksider555

@god_spawn said:

@DarkDay: Agreed. Focusing on the small things sometimes can make a huge difference in stories. And it shows writers have done their research.

agreed,the reason why i wanted flames was for him to sort of marked by the phoenix.But given the total sum of great ideas for a power boost(TK and sort of others).but what said is very interesting in the fact that it would give another "taste" to his powers depending on the energy he had taken.

P.S God-spawn sry if I spoiled this for you. =( . Please dont hate me :(

Zxankou14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zxankou14

Well why dont they just give the powers that his Earth 1610 counterpart had when he was on that "Banshee" drug he was pretty cool.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@Darksider555: Pssh. That's no reason to hate you and I wouldn't have come in the thread if I felt like it would ruin something that I cared about.

You're fine, dude.

Aero_gt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Aero_gt

Maybe his "punch" can form like a punch defensive shield over his face or like form physical appendiges to grab objects.Basically him having the ability to bend his physical beams like a green lantern. I know the idea sounds farfetched, but I could get behind something like that if written and drawn right.

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By XsPectre28

my question is why have none of the other phoenix force wielders have augmented powers (Jean grey aside because her powers were altered)

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

trutrutru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By trutrutru

im still very curious about the single light source in his upcoming costume...its right in between his eyes. i just hope they dont make him in to an actual cyclops lol.

it seems like his eyes are covered....im just worried about what hints if any the new costume give us to his new powers

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#21  Edited By McKlayn

@XsPectre28 said:

my question is why have none of the other phoenix force wielders have augmented powers (Jean grey aside because her powers were altered)

I think they are, at least the phoenix 5 are. I think the idea is that none of the Phoenix 5 were actually powerful enough to HOST the phoenix so the time it spent their left sort of side affects for them to deal with

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

Kind of curious as to what his deal is. So far he lost majority of his control and the blast he fired in the woods had a spiral like effect among the straight beam. Seemed almost like a drill at certain parts of the blast.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By fodigg

Cyclops has been cursed with awesome.

"Wait, so instead of shooting lasers out of his eyes, he will now shoot EXPLODING LASERS out of his eyes? How WILL the comic book community learn to embrace THIS tortured soul?"
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@McKlayn said:

@XsPectre28 said:

I think they are, at least the phoenix 5 are. I think the idea is that none of the Phoenix 5 were actually powerful enough to HOST the phoenix so the time it spent their left sort of side affects for them to deal with

when jean came back after a few years (from the dark phoenix saga) she couldnt use her tp (temporary) but her tk was twice as strong

weird how emma lost her tp too....

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

trutrutru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By trutrutru

what issue is that from?

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By slimlim

@trutrutru: X-Treme X-Men #7.1 i believe

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By John Valentine

@slimlim said:

@trutrutru: X-Treme X-Men #7.1 i believe

Yes, it is.

Kain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Kain

His powers haven't really changed from what has been shown. They've become a lot more powerful and thus more difficult to control. The new costume is to help him deal with this, as his new power-up keeps making his visor blast off of his face. The helmet he will start wearing is to make it easier to control and make him less of a danger to his allies.

xmentas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By xmentas

@Kain said:

His powers haven't really changed from what has been shown. They've become a lot more powerful and thus more difficult to control. The new costume is to help him deal with this, as his new power-up keeps making his visor blast off of his face. The helmet he will start wearing is to make it easier to control and make him less of a danger to his allies.

I really hope this isn't the case. Although I personally believe his beams are crazy powerful already, many people believe Cyclops needs a little something else; which I personally wouldn't mind seeing.

Imperius_Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Imperius_Rex

I think it's more powerful and just harder to control. I think in all new x men 4 they showed us when him and young Scott crossed beams...lol...but that could've been that Scotty is just more inexperienced thank Scott. I really love how his blasts look now. It just looks more powerful!

One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By One_Eye

@Imperius_Rex said:

I think it's more powerful and just harder to control. I think in all new x men 4 they showed us when him and young Scott crossed beams...lol...but that could've been that Scotty is just more inexperienced thank Scott. I really love how his blasts look now. It just looks more powerful!

I can't wait for him and the rest of Extinction Team to try their newly-altered powers out in battle!:)

Lordhuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lordhuck

Cyclops is a glass cannon. He might be able to pulverize a tank with one optic blast but he has zero defense.  A kid could kill him with a slingshot.  

I hope his new power add some sort of defensive powers.  A force field or shielding made from the same energy as his blasts.  Something to make him more durable.

infectedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By infectedhero

@Lordhuck: good idea

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HushoftheWind

@Lordhuck: i actually think that's balance for him to still be as vulnerable as a basic human, BUT if he did receive some type of defense boost, it should be only to energy based attacks. Honestly, i think he's good just showing off his agility and dodging attacks and also hanging back in the background zoning with is optic blast commanding his team from the distance.

photowill404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By photowill404

i like the idea of his powers becoming more tk or psionically based. just making him stronger doesn't give his power the much needed depth it deserves.

LBoogieSkells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LBoogieSkells

Cyclops might be releasing energy from places other than his eyes. Look at the panel here, he has on his glasses when he wakes up. Also that could explain why his visor is unable to control his optic blast, his powers aren't being funneled correctly.

LBoogieSkells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new costume looks like it might be designed to funnel the extra energy he is releasing.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@lboogieskells: Or..he slept with his glasses next to him and put them on before getting up? And the old visor just flew off which is why he switched to a cowl that has a visor attached to it. The extra red on his outfit is probably just design.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.