Follow

Cyclops

Character » Cyclops appears in 11225 issues.

The first X-Man, Scott Summers possesses the mutant ability to fire powerful concussive blasts through his eyes that act as a portal to another dimension full of the force that makes up his optic blast. He is visually distinctive for the ruby quartz visor he wears to control his devastating power. A born leader, Cyclops succeeded his mentor Professor X to command the X-Men.

Cyclops: A complete Jerk?

• 57 results
    Avatar image for death_to_sane_people
    Death_to_sane_people

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Trodorne

I think he is total bad ass not a jerk he gets the work done that needs to be done.

castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By castleking

depends if you think leaving your wife and kid for your teenage girlfriend counts as a jerk thing to do.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By joshmightbe
    @castleking: and then he cheated on the woman he dumped his wife and kid for and then sent his kid on a suicide mission
    Death_to_sane_people

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: @castleking: Yup. Totally what I was getting at. I just love when Best tells it to 'em! :)
    No Caption Provided
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6  Edited By SC  Moderator

Is there an option for people that think some writers ain't so flash?   Lacking in characterization? Plot plants over characterization sluts? 

I can't really view Cyclops as a jerk. I feel sorry for him, nothing is worse than having a writer make your favorite character unlikable to every other fan of other characters LOL I mean hell, Mike Carey is a good X-Men writer, and people still tend to resent Rogue a fair bit, and you don't have other characters blowing smoke up her, oh and Emma, poor Emma, if I think Cyclops is a jerk, I have to concede that she is a bimbo wreck, who constantly fawns over Cyclops, yikes. Anyway, over in Astonishing Cyclops was being an awesome leader, and a nice guy, and well Slim. Not sure who the guy dressed in a blue condom over in Uncanny X-Men has been, people like to tout he is a great leader because he makes hard decisions, but mots of them have been stupid and cost characters lives, and now and its the same guy who had sex in the middle of a mission and killed a bunch of dinosaurs instead of making sure there was enough ice Cream on Utopia. Then again that guy isn't a jerk, just written poorly. 

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By joshmightbe
    @SC: actually he ditched his wife and kid back when good writers were running the X titles 
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cattlebattle

Cyclops would tell you he's "duh, winning"
    Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#9  Edited By The Impersonator

Cyclops is a great leader even though he has ups and downs but still he's one of the best X-Men.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By joshmightbe
    @cattlebattle: He's no where near Sheen level doucheness he's not Reed Richards you know
    rogue_mar1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By rogue_mar1e
    @The Impersonator said:
    " Cyclops is a great leader even though he has ups and downs but still he's one of the best X-Men. "
    Death_to_sane_people

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SC: Okay # uno!  DO NOT, DO NOT! Start in on me about emma!!! My gosh!!! She makes my blood roil every time i hear that snipy god-knows-what accent! (not a big fan of her, if u cant tell!:)) and yes, i do admit some writers have cyclops written better than others. But personally i have never liked him. Yes, he may be a relatively good decision maker, BUT he is still to, i don't  know.... Beast said it well, "BAD DOG, BIG SHOT!" sooooooooooooo... yeah, can see your point, but still think he's a bit of a jerk. 
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @joshmightbe said:
    " @SC: actually he ditched his wife and kid back when good writers were running the X titles  "

Actually editors >> writers, come on now son, you know the story no? lol Out of all the X-Men, Cyclops is the one I like the least. Literally any character you see with an X ever? I have liked more, even I know, how rough a time the character and his fans have had. ^__^
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By End_Boss
    @Death_to_sane_people: I can't read a single word in those panels.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By joshmightbe

Why is no one just like meh with Emma they either love her dearly or hope she dies forever

LightBright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By LightBright

75% Jerk, 20% Hot Air, 5% Laser Eyes...

Death_to_sane_people

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@End_Boss: srry. quality sucks. :(
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @Death_to_sane_people said:
    " @SC: Okay # uno!  DO NOT, DO NOT! Start in on me about emma!!! My gosh!!! She makes my blood roil every time i hear that snipy god-knows-what accent! (not a big fan of her, if u cant tell!:)) and yes, i do admit some writers have cyclops written better than others. But personally i have never liked him. Yes, he may be a relatively good decision maker, BUT he is still to, i don't  know.... Beast said it well, "BAD DOG, BIG SHOT!" sooooooooooooo... yeah, can see your point, but still think he's a bit of a jerk.  "

lol, I try and ignore her writing in last couple of years too... thats okay as well, we all have our favorites and not so favorites. I have never liked him either, it did play a very important team balance role though. He is a good character for other characters to play with. Sometimes some characters need to be a bit jerky now and then, I think current writers don't realize how jerky he comes off. >.>
    lastdrag0n89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By lastdrag0n89

Of course the most hardcore mutant comes off as a jerk, to those who cant handle his badassness!!! lol

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By joshmightbe
    @SC: I understand that he did what he thought he had to do but still he was a jerk in that moment whether he intended to be or not but some times good leaders have to be jerks like Patton, total dick but a great general
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Gambit1024

He's not a jerk, he just finally grew a pair. 

drkhwk2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By drkhwk2001
    @Gambit1024 said:
    " He's not a jerk, he just finally grew a pair.  "
    This............
    Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Overkill

Nice, another I hate Cyclops thread...

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @joshmightbe said:
    " @SC: I understand that he did what he thought he had to do but still he was a jerk in that moment whether he intended to be or not but some times good leaders have to be jerks like Patton, total dick but a great general "

Wait which example? The leaving Maddy one? 0_0 

Thats just writers, well editors changing their minds back and forth and screwing with writers. I can't divorce myself from the reality of the real life circumstance. Characters are characters, they get written to be jerks, not actually be jerks, it can be good? Wolverine is written like a jerk all the time, usually its good writing and characterization. Cyclops examples, tend not to be good characterization, nor good writing. I think people would be okay if those aspects were there. Bad leaders can be jerks too lol, being a dick, jerk, turkey, gunga, lip syncher, reality TV star, and making hard decisions? Yeah, possibly a sign of a good leader, but not always. Actual examples and specifics tend to be lacking for plot reasons. I get what you mean though, my criticism is as usual, at writers/editors.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By joshmightbe
    @SC: I was actually talking about the Cable suicide mission but I see your point
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheCrowbar

You know it's pretty annoying the whole "lol he left his wife and kid and cheated on them"

1.) He did leave them after the relationship was long dead, read the actual comic the marriage was over. Whether he left 6 months later or right then, they were going to separate. In fact they were in a huge fight when the phone rang and they found out Jean was alive again.  Madelyn was the one who forced him out and told him not to return.

No Caption Provided

2.) He was actually estranged from Jean Grey as well because he was wracked with guilt, he never cheated on Madelyne. 
    3.) He went back to them when he could and they were gone.
    4.) Cyclops never left his wife and kid for a "teenage girlfriend" Jean and Madelyne were the same age physically. And see 2.)

Are we done being stupid? Excellent!
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @cattlebattle said:
    " Cyclops would tell you he's "duh, winning" "
    LMAO
    kiss_lamia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By kiss_lamia

still a jerk, never liked him never will, and yes he did leave maddy for jean! oh my dead girlfriend is alive so im just gonna leave. and maddy gave him and ultimatum and any wife would he chose to leave instead of working it out like he should have, and when he left then the maruders went after her and the baby so no he didn't look for her, coming back to the apartment doesn't classify as looking for her!! and he's the reason they were arguing all the time in the first place he was a lousy father he didn't even help her most of the time and she gave birth to cable by herself in the mansion nice supporting daddy not.

Alch21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Alch21
    @Gambit1024 said:
    "He's not a jerk, he just finally grew a pair.  "
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @kiss_lamia said:
    " still a jerk, never liked him never will, and yes he did leave maddy for jean! oh my dead girlfriend is alive so im just gonna leave. and maddy gave him and ultimatum and any wife would he chose to leave instead of working it out like he should have, and when he left then the maruders went after her and the baby so no he didn't look for her, coming back to the apartment doesn't classify as looking for her!! and he's the reason they were arguing all the time in the first place he was a lousy father he didn't even help her most of the time and she gave birth to cable by herself in the mansion nice supporting daddy not. "
    1.) Actually he did look for her, Sinister had wiped/replaced the people in the town and removed any trace of Maddy or Nathan there. 

2.) Actually it wasn't "Oh my dead girlfriend is alive so I'm going to go" They were in the middle of another argument. 

3.) People seem to forget that Maddy was created by Sinister to seduce Scott, that's not a good basis for a marriage anyway.

4.) If you actually read the comic she wasn't doing shit to solve the problems, she was just yelling at him.

5.)  He was actually helping around the house, in fact most of the time to avoid arguing with Maddy he'd be working around the House.
    kiss_lamia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kiss_lamia
    @TheCrowbar said:

1.) Actually he did look for her, Sinister had wiped/replaced the people in the town and removed any trace of Maddy or Nathan there.   2.) Actually it wasn't "Oh my dead girlfriend is alive so I'm going to go" They were in the middle of another argument.   3.) People seem to forget that Maddy was created by Sinister to seduce Scott, that's not a good basis for a marriage anyway.  4.) If you actually read the comic she wasn't doing shit to solve the problems, she was just yelling at him.  5.)  He was actually helping around the house, in fact most of the time to avoid arguing with Maddy he'd be working around the House. "

1) Still not good enough! 

2) The only reason they were arguing was because they were supposed to spending the day together and he got phoned by warren with the jean news hence she got pissed that he had to leave again to bail the X-men/ X-factor out again.

3) Originally she didn't know that so you can't pin that on her.

4)good i would yell at him too she's a first time mother, who gave birth to there son on the floor of the mansion, where both she and him could have died, so call it post natal derpession mix with i hate you coz you left me you asshole while i was approching labour.

5) That does not count as helping her with the child, as she was probably suffering from post natal depression she needed help with the kid not building of the house.
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ssejllenrad

I hope Cyke would stare in the face of these haters and remove his visors.

Overkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Overkill
    @ssejllenrad said:

" I hope Cyke would stare in the face of these haters and remove his visors. "

QFW!
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @kiss_lamia said:

" @TheCrowbar said:

1.) Actually he did look for her, Sinister had wiped/replaced the people in the town and removed any trace of Maddy or Nathan there.   2.) Actually it wasn't "Oh my dead girlfriend is alive so I'm going to go" They were in the middle of another argument.   3.) People seem to forget that Maddy was created by Sinister to seduce Scott, that's not a good basis for a marriage anyway.  4.) If you actually read the comic she wasn't doing shit to solve the problems, she was just yelling at him.  5.)  He was actually helping around the house, in fact most of the time to avoid arguing with Maddy he'd be working around the House. "

1) Still not good enough!   2) The only reason they were arguing was because they were supposed to spending the day together and he got phoned by warren with the jean news hence she got pissed that he had to leave again to bail the X-men/ X-factor out again.  3) Originally she didn't know that so you can't pin that on her. 4)good i would yell at him too she's a first time mother, who gave birth to there son on the floor of the mansion, where both she and him could have died, so call it post natal derpession mix with i hate you coz you left me you asshole while i was approching labour.  5) That does not count as helping her with the child, as she was probably suffering from post natal depression she needed help with the kid not building of the house. "
     1.) He can't just make up a lead to find her. It explicitly stated that Sinister removed any trace of her and Nathan. Ought implies can, and he couldn't do anything more.
    2.) The arguments they were having were more than just that one.
    3.) I'm not pinning that on her, but it's a fact and it's a poor basis for a marriage. It started bad.
    4.)Marriage is a partnership and neither of them were acting like it, it's not solely his fault. 
    5.) Actually I'm pretty sure keeping the house warm and in good repair is an important part of raising the kid. In fact it's an integral part of  raising a child, keeping it safe from the elements. 

And don't even try to use the psychological issues Madylyne was suffering from as an excuse. Scott has much more deep seated and scarring issues. 

Not to mention, that it was Scott that raised Nathan in the end, he gets no points for that at all.
    girth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By girth

He is a bit of a jerk, but he is a great leader that does what needs to be done.

kiss_lamia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kiss_lamia
    @TheCrowbar:  well just have to agree to disagree lol
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @kiss_lamia said:
    " @TheCrowbar:  well just have to agree to disagree lol "
    We have some common ground then :P
    kiss_lamia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kiss_lamia
    @TheCrowbar:  ROFL looks like it  :D see ya round lol
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Cyclops is the greatest Leader in Comics and the best X-Man character by an unbelievable margin. 

That time when he left his wife he was being downplayed so other, worse but more popular characters, could look like saints (cough, Wolverine, cough). The same happened to Hank Pym (cough, Iron Man, cough). 

And let's not bring up the fact that he never cheated on Jean, was technically psychically raped by his therapist, and was tormented by his supposed wife flirting with the guy who chipped at his confidence every chance he got. Oh yeh, there was also that little matter of becoming fused with the malevolent entity called Apocalypse, but there's no way that could mess you up (sarcasm mode).

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @FadeToBlackBolt: 
    Lets not forget that he has deep seated abandonment issues and the only family he ever had after being orphaned was a paramilitary group.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @TheCrowbar: Or that his youngest brother was basically sent to death by his only father figure (****ing retcons >_>).

Cyke rules.
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Green Skin

Cyke isn't a jerk, he's a badass.  People used to complain that he was too much of a boy scout and now that he's grown a pair they complain that he's a jerk.  Just goes to show you that comic fans will always find something to bitch about.

coolbeans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By coolbeans

To some it may seem like he is being a jerk but in all honesty he is doing whats best for the mutant race even if some of his actions are questionable.  It's all about survival and he is doing what he has to do even though he doesn't even like it sometimes.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:

"Cyclops is the greatest Leader in Comics and the best X-Man character by an unbelievable margin.   That time when he left his wife he was being downplayed so other, worse but more popular characters, could look like saints (cough, Wolverine, cough). The same happened to Hank Pym (cough, Iron Man, cough).   And let's not bring up the fact that he never cheated on Jean, was technically psychically raped by his therapist, and was tormented by his supposed wife flirting with the guy who chipped at his confidence every chance he got. Oh yeh, there was also that little matter of becoming fused with the malevolent entity called Apocalypse, but there's no way that could mess you up (sarcasm mode). "

I would'nt call pym a better character than stark ,infact i would say it's the other way around by miles,the wolverine/cyclops fanboy rivalry always amused me though.    
    Avatar image for deadpoolvironfist
    DeadpoolvIronFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclops is one of my favorite characters.....

Czr3pka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Czr3pka

Cyclops is my favorite X-Men (along with Iceman,) because he's a good example of being a normal person that isn't always perfect. He's made some terrible choices, but his leadership and stern attitude are irreplaceable. At least he's not Wolverine, CONSTANTLY doting on his every little mistae and his past.
    Avatar image for the_umbra_sorcerer
    The Umbra Sorcerer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

He used to be Badass and a favourite of mine but with Matt he's a jerk

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7
    @coolbeans: Could not agree more. People complain about him being like Magneto, but I see him more as a realist, someone between Magneto and Prof X. The main criticism seems to be about Scott creating X-Force, but that was a pretty good move considering the mutant population is in the hundreds and they have to due with so many lethal threats from people with powers.
    xmenfallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By xmenfallen

NO he is a great leader ............ sometimes he just steps on people to get correct results... he just gets the work done 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.