Can Henry Cavill do well as Cyclops?

• 55 results
#1 Posted by jhazzroucher (16383 posts) - - Show Bio

When there wasn't an x-men film, I was already thinking which actors would take the roles and I actually got 3 right. Halle as Storm cos I saw Halle in BAPS which she had her hair white, Patrick Stewart as Professor X cos i saw him in Star Trek and James Marsden who really looked like Cyclops when i saw him from a few of his films.

But right now, we need younger actors for the X-Men.

So, eventhough he is taking the role as Superman, I believe Henry Cavill can play well as Cyclops.

so what do you all think?

#2 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

What is it with you taking stuff from Superman and applying it to the X-men?

#3 Edited by jhazzroucher (16383 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

well, didn't Halle Berry take the roles as Catwoman and Storm?

#4 Posted by TDK_1997 (15079 posts) - - Show Bio

He would do well but we don't need him as Cyclops.

#5 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15114 posts) - - Show Bio

@TDK_1997: we need him as superman.

#6 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

No, because he's Superman. Stoppit.

#7 Posted by Ms. Omega (4523 posts) - - Show Bio

Another way to weasel Storm into a topic again.......

#8 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1008 posts) - - Show Bio

Just let him be Superman. Also, tbh, I thought James Marsden was good as Cyclops. The problem was the X-Men films didn't do anything with his character. It sucks that Singer didn't film the 3rd film because it was supposed to revolve around Cyclops.

#9 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a little too jacked for it IMO. Plus, how tall is he? I know most artists ignore it but Scott is supposed to be 6'5" and 195 lbs (1.83m & 88.5 kg). That's pretty tall and thin. I'd like to see more of "Slim" in the movies.

#10 Edited by God_Spawn (38234 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: I thought Cykes was 6'3? And 1.83, is like 6 feet I believe.

#11 Posted by God_Spawn (38234 posts) - - Show Bio

Regardless, I cannot see Henry Cavill as Cyclops. Might as well throw him in with John Cena and whoever else in your poor man's X film.

#12 Edited by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@fodigg: I thought Cykes was 6'3? And 1.83, is like 6 feet I believe.

I didn't check it before posting but based that off memory. I'll double check. The height must be off if the converter I used didn't work for the five inches. I was trying to be inclusive but I'm still an ignorant American. I'll check that too.

EDIT: Marvel database has the following: Height 6' 3"; Weight 195 lbs (89 kg). Using a better converter I got 1.905 m for 6'3", and 1.96 m for 6'5".

Also, I went back and tracked down the link I read the other day and that matched the above, so my mistake on that.

#13 Edited by God_Spawn (38234 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: Edit: Gotcha. Also, I just checked a collector's bio book on Cyclops that is current to that of a few years ago and they actually have his height at 6'1 and his weight 181lbs which is new to me lol.

#14 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: I can see 6'1" the way he's drawn--not too much taller than Logan--but 181 lbs with that much muscle?

#15 Edited by GreenFuse (295 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like mixing actors in roles like this. Seems lazy actually. Do some actual casting instead of recycling actors.

It should be someone new for Cyclops. Someone who isn't already playing a superhero lol.

#16 Edited by God_Spawn (38234 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: I think it's definitely possible. I'm a personal trainer myself and I've worked out with bodybuilders and wrestlers before and a lot of it comes down to genetics, height, muscle placement etc. I'm 6'2-6'3 myself and 183-185 pounds with a 10-12% body fat percentage and I don't look as big as Cyclops, but I've trained with people that are maybe 10-30 pounds lighter than me and they look like they could pass for 200+ pounds because of their genetics and height. Being 2 inches shorter or taller could add or take away a look of 10-20 pounds on a person. As far as comics go, it also depends on who draws characters. Jason Todd, Punisher and Daredevil are all 6 foot and 200 pounds but sometimes Jason and DD don't look it. For Cyclops, sometimes he really lives up to that Slim name of his and looks to be 170 pounds like how Coipel or Cassaday draw him. Sometimes they draw Cyclops punier than Havok and Alex is supposed to be 175 pounds which is a marginal difference if Scott is 195lbs but there is also that height Scott has which makes a difference. Other times he looks like he is closer to the 200 pounds like if Land or Silvestri are drawing him.

#17 Posted by GR2Blackout (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@AtPhantom said:

well, didn't Halle Berry take the roles as Catwoman and Storm?

Think of it: the Catwoman movie sucked eggs.

#18 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: Hmm. I don't have the expertise to question you, but I will say I think in matters like this that verisimilitude is more the goal than reality. Even if it's possible, to a layman it may not seem like it makes sense.

#19 Posted by jhazzroucher (16383 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@fodigg: I think it's definitely possible. I'm a personal trainer myself and I've worked out with bodybuilders and wrestlers before and a lot of it comes down to genetics, height, muscle placement etc. I'm 6'2-6'3 myself and 183-185 pounds with a 10-12% body fat percentage and I don't look as big as Cyclops, but I've trained with people that are maybe 10-30 pounds lighter than me and they look like they could pass for 200+ pounds because of their genetics and height. Being 2 inches shorter or taller could add or take away a look of 10-20 pounds on a person. As far as comics go, it also depends on who draws characters. Jason Todd, Punisher and Daredevil are all 6 foot and 200 pounds but sometimes Jason and DD don't look it. For Cyclops, sometimes he really lives up to that Slim name of his and looks to be 170 pounds like how Coipel or Cassaday draw him. Sometimes they draw Cyclops punier than Havok and Alex is supposed to be 175 pounds which is a marginal difference if Scott is 195lbs but there is also that height Scott has which makes a difference. Other times he looks like he is closer to the 200 pounds like if Land or Silvestri are drawing him.

that's sounds interesting.

#20 Posted by Dernman (15440 posts) - - Show Bio

He can't do any worse then James Marsden.

#21 Posted by jhazzroucher (16383 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

He can't do any worse then James Marsden.

so you mean, you agree with me? : )

#22 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

We need him as Superman, sorry.

#23 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to see a virtually unknown actor to play Cyclops. It works well in most cases.

#24 Posted by jhazzroucher (16383 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_ said:

We need him as Superman, sorry.

But if you were Henry, wouldn't you also take Cyclops role if it's been offered to you?

#25 Posted by soduh2 (868 posts) - - Show Bio

Halle Berry was not a good storm....

#26 Posted by jhazzroucher (16383 posts) - - Show Bio

White Mage please comment on this thread.

#27 Posted by White Mage (18747 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

.........................How did you know that I would be over here?

Personally, I like his look a lot more.....I don't like James Marsden's face......not for Cyclops anyway...........however, since the X-Men are now teenagers, I'm afraid that this is something that won't be happening anytime soon

#28 Posted by God_Spawn (38234 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

Personally, I like his look a lot more.....I don't like James Marsden's face......not for Cyclops anyway...........however, since the X-Men are now teenagers, I'm afraid that this is something that won't be happening anytime soon

In case you didn't know, Cyclops lives >:D. Axel Alonso spoiled it.

#29 Posted by White Mage (18747 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

In case you didn't know, Cyclops lives >:D. Axel Alonso spoiled it.

..........................................Well................................did he speak on Emma's fate as well?

#30 Posted by God_Spawn (38234 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage: Nope. He only mentioned specifics on Cyke and Wolverine and everyone else was just broad in aspect.Quoted from

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=39970

Are the five young X-Men the main characters in this series? Would you say the main X-Men we've had over recent years are, if not antagonists than at least side characters?
Alonso: I would say no. I'd say that the young characters and the current cast of the X-Men share time on the story. And there's a third entity I'm not allowed to talk about yet that will also share screen time. But the story is really about the effect of these young Lee and Kirby X-Men arriving in the present. It's both the story of young Jean Grey coming back and wondering why everybody is looking at her so weird, and it's the story of Logan and Cyclops coming to terms with the fact that this young girl, who they both fell in love with, is now back in some way, shape or form. That's what I think is going to make for such fascinating stories – dual perspectives on this development.
#31 Posted by White Mage (18747 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@White Mage: Nope. He only mentioned specifics on Cyke and Wolverine and everyone else was just broad in aspect.Quoted from

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=39970

Are the five young X-Men the main characters in this series? Would you say the main X-Men we've had over recent years are, if not antagonists than at least side characters?
Alonso: I would say no. I'd say that the young characters and the current cast of the X-Men share time on the story. And there's a third entity I'm not allowed to talk about yet that will also share screen time. But the story is really about the effect of these young Lee and Kirby X-Men arriving in the present. It's both the story of young Jean Grey coming back and wondering why everybody is looking at her so weird, and it's the story of Logan and Cyclops coming to terms with the fact that this young girl, who they both fell in love with, is now back in some way, shape or form. That's what I think is going to make for such fascinating stories – dual perspectives on this development.

gaaaAAAHHHH!!!!!!

#32 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll wait and see how he pulls of Superman, not really sure at this point

#33 Posted by God_Spawn (38234 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage: What's with the scream?

#34 Posted by White Mage (18747 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@White Mage: What's with the scream?

Meh, dramatic effect

I'm curious as to how many P5 members actually survive

#35 Posted by God_Spawn (38234 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage: Well, none are classified as dead, merely....decommissioned for now that we know of and I doubt they would kill all 5 of them. When they lose their power they look like they just get knocked unconscious and revert to their pre-Phoenixy selves. At least that is what it looked like to me when Spider-Man beat Magik and Colossus, Colossus was bald and his Juggy clothes minus helmet and so was Magik. If anyone of them will die at this point it has to be Emma. I've seen Cyclops survives this thing mentioned by both Alonso and Bendis at least 2-3 times and it specifies towards modern Cyclops, not 05 Cyclops.

I don't think any of the P5 will die really. I'm still betting Charles dies at the end of this, Hope (fingers crossed) or Iron Fist. And I actually don't think Cyclops will defeat Emma in round 11. I think at this point it would be too predictable and people are expecting it. While this event may not be great, it has had its twists and turns and thrown even some of my theories out the window.

#36 Posted by White Mage (18747 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@White Mage: Well, none are classified as dead, merely....decommissioned for now that we know of and I doubt they would kill all 5 of them. When they lose their power they look like they just get knocked unconscious and revert to their pre-Phoenixy selves. At least that is what it looked like to me when Spider-Man beat Magik and Colossus, Colossus was bald and his Juggy clothes minus helmet and so was Magik. If anyone of them will die at this point it has to be Emma. I've seen Cyclops survives this thing mentioned by both Alonso and Bendis at least 2-3 times and it specifies towards modern Cyclops, not 05 Cyclops.

I don't think any of the P5 will die really. I'm still betting Charles dies at the end of this, Hope (fingers crossed) or Iron Fist. And I actually don't think Cyclops will defeat Emma in round 11. I think at this point it would be too predictable and people are expecting it. While this event may not be great, it has had its twists and turns and thrown even some of my theories out the window.

I'm REALLY hoping Charles dies. His legacy is important enough to where people will care, but his current popularity/relevance is short enough to where he won't get written back into comics. Win-Win. And yeah, I find it weird that Phoenix is leaving her hosts after they are defeated....Magik should've lost her fragment a LONG time ago for that matter......I wonder if Black Panther is going to publicly execute Namor?......that would be an interesting drama twist

I think Emma's going to start getting Dark Phoenix-y, and then Cyclops is going to fight her, and then she's going to start getting all "Green Phoenix-y", and wanting to be rid of her excess power.

#37 Posted by jhazzroucher (16383 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@jhazzroucher said:

Storm Fan Empathy. : )

#38 Posted by God_Spawn (38234 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage: I agree with the Xavier statement whole-heartedly. I even made reasons why in a blog a month back. He's a prime candidate.

And I cannot disagree with anything else.

#39 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

He looks the part. Also Halle was abysmal as Storm.

#40 Posted by jhazzroucher (16383 posts) - - Show Bio

@Brazen_Intellect said:

I see. Good point. BUt you can watch Immortals and see if he can take the role as Cyclops well.

#41 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@Brazen_Intellect said:

I see. Good point. BUt you can watch Immortals and see if he can take the role as Cyclops well.

I saw Immortals, but those two roles are too different to really put much into it

#42 Posted by jhazzroucher (16383 posts) - - Show Bio

@Brazen_Intellect said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@Brazen_Intellect said:

I saw Immortals, but those two roles are too different to really put much into it

you can check on wiki on other films Henry has starred.

#43 Posted by cc1738 (358 posts) - - Show Bio

No!!! He's Superman. You don't cross universes.

#44 Posted by One_Eye (783 posts) - - Show Bio

@cc1738 said:

Indeed. Look what happened to Ryan Reynolds as both Deadpool AND Hal Jordan!

#45 Posted by FinnVarra (226 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@god_spawn: I can see 6'1" the way he's drawn--not too much taller than Logan--but 181 lbs with that much muscle?

Dude he's way taller than Logan. Logan is only 5'3 or so.

#46 Posted by JonSmith (4007 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate to say it, but even though I hated X3, the cast of the X-Men from those movies will always be those characters in my eyes. Anyone else playing Cyclops would be... weird. Plus, I can totally see James Marsden being the arrogant 'visionary' tyrant that Scott is in the comics these days.

#47 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

@FinnVarra: Compared to 6'5" though? Well, I guess it's all relative. And part of that is Logan being drawn to tall.

#48 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

If not for the superman thing, then yes.

#49 Posted by jhazzroucher (16383 posts) - - Show Bio

@One_Eye said:

@cc1738 said:

Indeed. Look what happened to Ryan Reynolds as both Deadpool AND Hal Jordan!

True. : )

#50 Posted by joshmightbe (25009 posts) - - Show Bio

Halle Berry was a terrible Storm

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.