Follow

Cyclops

Character » Cyclops appears in 11209 issues.

The first X-Man, Scott Summers possesses the mutant ability to fire powerful concussive blasts through his eyes that act as a portal to another dimension full of the force that makes up his optic blast. He is visually distinctive for the ruby quartz visor he wears to control his devastating power. A born leader, Cyclops succeeded his mentor Professor X to command the X-Men.

Can he Sundip?

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ssejllenrad

I know this is a stupid question. Especially from a fan. But I just don't know. And so I'm asking. Would he be able to amp up his powers by sundipping like Havoc did? Or is that just for Havoc? Cause they have similar "natures" of powers right?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mercy_

Nope. Cyclops isn't solar powered the way that Alex is. Throwing him in the sun would killl him.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " Nope. Cyclops isn't solar powered the way that Alex is. Throwing him in the sun would killl him. "
    This.

He would have been able to sundip, but the Marvel writers decided to be ****ing idiots and have Cyclops depowered and his power make no sense. His brothers, on the other hand, got major upgrades.

As you can tell, I'm a little sore about the whole thing.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty

I thought that Cyclops' powers WERE solar-powered.  However, thinking back I know that it was stated in X-Men: The Animated Series but I'm struggling to remember where that was stated in the comics...

However, the concept of "sundipping"?  Total PiS, if you ask me...!

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SC  Moderator

No, given his light complexion he would sunburn. 

Plus Havok doesn't dip does he, I thought he is/was just exposed to more potent energy. 
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @xerox-kitty said:
    "

I thought that Cyclops' powers WERE solar-powered.  However, thinking back I know that it was stated in X-Men: The Animated Series but I'm struggling to remember where that was stated in the comics...

However, the concept of "sundipping"?  Total PiS, if you ask me...!

"
    Originally, Cyclops' body acted as a battery that absorbed and stored all ambient forms of energy, most commonly Solar Radiation. His body then converted this solar energy into blasts of concussive force that were expelled from his eyes.
    As his entire body acted as a conduit for this energy, this explains why he and Havok are invulnerable to eachother's attacks. Basically, he and Havok had the same power, it just emerged in different ways; concussive blasts from the eyes, and plasma discharges from the hands, respectively.

However, for some unknowable reason, this was changed. Cyclops' body still acted as a battery for solar energy as before, but rather than convert and release this energy, it instead used it to power twin dimensional apertures that exist in Scott's eyes. The apertures are a gateway to a dimension of limitless concussive energy. This means that the energy discharged from Cyclops' eyes should really always be the same power, unlike before, when the amount of energy discharged was equivalent to how much he absorbed.

Also, as the energy being released through his eyes now came from a foreign source, Havok shouldn't be invulnerable to the attacks.

As only Cyclops received this change to his powers, he can no longer absorb larger quantities to increase the power of his attacks, unlike Havok, who inexplicably can as of DnA's books. He can also use this energy to increase his durability apparently. Never mind how none of that makes sense.

To put it bluntly, Scott got screwed >_<
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xerox_kitty

So his powers are still connected to solar power, but not in the way we thought about 20 years ago... The whole 'solar-powered aperatures' thing sounds lame.  When was that retconned??

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " So his powers are still connected to solar power, but not in the way we thought about 20 years ago... The whole 'solar-powered aperatures' thing sounds lame.  When was that retconned?? "
    Yeah, they're still connected to Solar Energy, and the solar-powered apertures thing is INCREDIBLY LAME lol.

I'm not sure exactly when it was retconned, but I'd say it was within the last 20 years.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xerox_kitty

@FTBB: Thanks for all the info.  I think I preferred the old solar-battery optic blasts :p

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ssejllenrad

Daaaaaaamn.... Cyclops is always being f*ck*d with by writers. He's still my fave X-Man g*dd*mmit!

Oh and thanks for the replies guys! Especially @FadeToBlackBolt ... Now I know... :D

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " @FTBB: Thanks for all the info.  I think I preferred the old solar-battery optic blasts :p "
    Twas my pleasure :)

Me too! lol

@ssejllenrad:
    Any time, mate, glad I could help =]
    Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Kallarkz
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " @FTBB: Thanks for all the info.  I think I preferred the old solar-battery optic blasts :p "
    seriously...its like Marvel woke up one day and said "herpaderp lets make this complicated"
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mercy_
    @SC said:
    " No, given his light complexion he would sunburn. 

Plus Havok doesn't dip does he, I thought he is/was just exposed to more potent energy. 
    "
    He full-on sun-dips during Emperor Vulcan. Vulcan throws him into a sun to try and kill him, everybody thinks he's dead and then he comes back right in the nick of time uber powered-up. 
    One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By One_Eye

I'm just convinced that Marvel really hates Cyclops but that's a discussion for another board I suppose. As long as he's leader and still houses a nuke within his head I'm happy.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#15  Edited By The_Martian
    @FadeToBlackBolt:  I don't get how having an unlimited supply of energy from another dimension is a depowered version of only having as much energy as he has absorbed.
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PrinceIMC

From what I understand they changed the explanation of his powers to explain why when he uses his optic blasts he doesn't get thrown back by the same force. As for sun-dipping he only absorbs solar energy at a certain speed so being exposed to more sunlight doesn't let him absorb any more power. Then again Havok blasting Cyclops has supercharge Scott in the past I think so if Havok totally charged up and blasted Cyke it might work.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @The Dark Huntress: He actually entered into the plasma of a star? 0_0 I remember that issue, I just though he got thrown at a star, being so close to it powered him up so much, and enough, that he was able to return to the ship. I know its a silly technical thing mind you lol. I am just über serious about dips. They are so creamy and delicious, 
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mercy_
    @SC said:
    " @The Dark Huntress: He actually entered into the plasma of a star? 0_0 I remember that issue, I just though he got thrown at a star, being so close to it powered him up so much, and enough, that he was able to return to the ship. I know its a silly technical thing mind you lol. I am just über serious about dips. They are so creamy and delicious,  "
    I read it pretty recently. I could be wrong, though.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    "I could be wrong, though. "

IMPOSSIBLE! Take that back! 

I will look for my copy later to see what I mean, what I mean. Erm. I'll explain better later when I read it again.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mercy_
    @SC: Do you know which issue it was? I'll go look it up right now. 
    Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By Kallarkz
    Havok? Wasn't that Emperor Vulcan #5?
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mercy_
    @Kallarkz said:
    " Havok? Wasn't that Emperor Vulcan #5? "
    I couldn't remember if it was four or five. Thanks
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @The Dark Huntress:  I... don't... but... don't... worry... about... it... your red! *figures out why DH *looks* different! Yey! Converted to the right side! The Dark Side! 
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Nobody said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt:  I don't get how having an unlimited supply of energy from another dimension is a depowered version of only having as much energy as he has absorbed. "
    Because that unlimited supply is always travelling through the apertures at the same force and rate. As opposed to if he absorbed an immense amount of solar energy, and blasted it all at the same time; which would be more powerful than the standard eye beam.

At the moment, if he takes his visor off only the range of the attack is increased, not its force. Which is how he's depowered :)

@One_Eye
    said:
    " I'm just convinced that Marvel really hates Cyclops but that's a discussion for another board I suppose. As long as he's leader and still houses a nuke within his head I'm happy. "
    They do. Notice the good writers love him though, and the idiotic writers and higher ups don't lol.

Grant Morrison
    Warren Ellis
    Joss Whedon
    They're all big Cyclops fans.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mercy_
    @FadeToBlackBolt: Fraction's a fan, just in all the wrong ways.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @The Dark Huntress: Fractions a fan of a character he knows nothing about, like Bill/Tarantino in Kill Bill
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mercy_
    @FadeToBlackBolt: Hence the "in all the wrong ways" comment. :)
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @The Dark Huntress:  Fair enough :)
    One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By One_Eye
    @FadeToBlackBolt:  yeah, every writer named I can honestly say that I enjoyed their writing thus far.:)
    dorsk188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dorsk188

@FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @Nobody said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt:  I don't get how having an unlimited supply of energy from another dimension is a depowered version of only having as much energy as he has absorbed. "
    Because that unlimited supply is always travelling through the apertures at the same force and rate. As opposed to if he absorbed an immense amount of solar energy, and blasted it all at the same time; which would be more powerful than the standard eye beam.
    That doesn't necessarily have to be the case.  More solar power could mean wider apertures, like water running through a large hole in a bucket instead of a small hole.  Conceivably, you could even supercharge Scott, so that the apertures spread all over his body, turning him into a omni-directional beacon of punches from the punch dimension.  I understand that no writer has really gone there (at least that I've read), but the new explanation for his powers isn't necessarily a downgrade.

Personally, I think too many superheroes are solar powered.  The average person doesn't receive enough solar energy in the visible light spectrum to operate a 120 watt lightbulb, let alone power blasts that can slow the Juggernaut or open a portal to another dimension.  But that's just me.  Where're the coal-powered heroes?  Where's Industrial Lathe Man?

@FadeToBlackBolt said:
    At the moment, if he takes his visor off only the range of the attack is increased, not its force. Which is how he's depowered :)
    Are you saying the distance his blast travels increases without his visor?  Can you explain?  I can understand why it would be a wider-angle blast, but not a longer-range blast.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @dorsk188 said:

"
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:

" @Nobody said:

That doesn't necessarily have to be the case.  More solar power could mean wider apertures, like water running through a large hole in a bucket instead of a small hole.  Conceivably, you could even supercharge Scott, so that the apertures spread all over his body, turning him into a omni-directional beacon of punches from the punch dimension.  I understand that no writer has really gone there (at least that I've read), but the new explanation for his powers isn't necessarily a downgrade.

Personally, I think too many superheroes are solar powered.  The average person doesn't receive enough solar energy in the visible light spectrum to operate a 120 watt lightbulb, let alone power blasts that can slow the Juggernaut or open a portal to another dimension.  But that's just me.  Where're the coal-powered heroes?  Where's Industrial Lathe Man?

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Are you saying the distance his blast travels increases without his visor?  Can you explain?  I can understand why it would be a wider-angle blast, but not a longer-range blast.

"
    That's what I meant, a wider-ranged blast. Sorry, I should have specified.
    dorsk188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dorsk188
    @FadeToBlackBolt:   Alright, thanks.  Thought I was missing something.  :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.