Follow

Cyclops

Character » Cyclops appears in 11232 issues.

The first X-Man, Scott Summers possesses the mutant ability to fire powerful concussive blasts through his eyes that act as a portal to another dimension full of the force that makes up his optic blast. He is visually distinctive for the ruby quartz visor he wears to control his devastating power. A born leader, Cyclops succeeded his mentor Professor X to command the X-Men.

Are current Optic Blasts as powerful as Black Bolt's scream?

Darksider555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Are Cyclops current optic blasts as powerful as BB's sonic scream? His blast was capable of hurting Dormmamu although he was exshausted due to the side effects of his power alteration. So, in your opinion, how powerful are current Cyclops optic blasts?

DB14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Uhm, no.

I love Cyke, but Black Bolt is so vastly out of his league its not even funny.

And Cyclops only hurt Dormammu when he and his team had the homefield advantage (Magiks realm) otherwise he'd be an insect to him.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

Edit: Check new post further down.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

He might be but just because Black Bolt currently isn't at his peak.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@god_spawn: I thought his optics had unpredictable power levels now. Or has that changed within the last few months?

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@erik: I wouldn't call his new blasts unpredictable in power levels, as I see it as more of an unknown limit except for that he seems to be capable of hurting Dormmamu at his new peak, which is quite the jump. His blasts have been consistently suggested to be stronger and larger at his upper release upon the alteration. The cost of his "power-up" was that he lost what semi control he already had over his blasts. This would unintentionally cause Scott to go all out and then some on accident and then he would be exhausted as a side effect. Over the last year or so, he has been demonstrating better control over this. He can fire off large blasts and demolish a few building sized sentinels in one go with the visor still on, and even Kitty mentions she never knew he could open his eyes that wide, and not be tired and continue to use his powers. And he has shown he can fire off slimmer beams like how he used to be able to and just merely knock someone back. So his control has been getting better, but he still occasionally unloads a blast that obliterates everything when he doesn't mean to.

So the limit so far is briefly hurting Dormammu. The only other things to soak a direct, full powered blast would be specially designed sentinels to adapt and be immune to their abilities. We just don't know the next step down from Dormammu as to what can survive an all out blast from him under his new levels. And we might not since him going all out on accident is becoming less and less.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Pyrogram

@god_spawn: This may sound dumb as I don't read Scott stuff, but will he ever be able to live without the sun-glasses or will he never have that much control?

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 god_spawn  Moderator

@pyrogram: He's been without the sunglasses before. Because of bumping his head and the psychological trauma he endured as a child has prevented him from fully controlling his powers. I recommend reading Whedon's Astonishing run. That's one of the best X-Men runs in history, and it goes with a period of Scott gaining full control. And there have stories here and there with him without needing his visor or glasses, AvX being the most recent. But Whedon's is definitely the big one I would recommend.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Considering Black Bolt is currently at half the power he used to be, and Cyclops' blast power has been significantly upgraded, it's possible. Dormammu being in Limbo didn't make Cyke any stronger, so that didn't have much to do with it. It does just come down to if you view the blast as being legitimate or not.

Depends. Maximus has noted back in New Avengers#18 that Black Bolt is significantly improving in terms of overall strength through extensive exposure to Terrigen Mists. Even called him "a fully healed king". I'd say Blackigar is most likely at or very near his older power level.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By warlock360
    No Caption Provided

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 god_spawn  Moderator

@wolverine08: Did he? I'm still on issue 17, but I only checked out 20 since then because the fights were awesome from the scans on here and I wanted to check it out myself. So I still have the other issues I need to read then. Thanks for the update and I'm glad Blackbolt is getting back to or near his own levels then.

With that in mind then, I think Blackbolt, regardless if at half or full power, has the far greater collateral damage capacity than Scott does. But like I said, I still think it depends on how you view the Dormammu blast with Scott's alteration of his powers. Just based off that, it shows his attack strength has jumped significantly, and we don't have much of anything to say what the consistent limit would be otherwise.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: Yeah, the instance I'm referring to happened in New Avengers #18.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 god_spawn  Moderator
    Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 god_spawn  Moderator

@wolverine08: You're slipping. No wonder you need a babysitter like Kane.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: You're slipping. No wonder you need a babysitter like Kane.

Meh, I've been on my Dean Ambrose swag since the Shield split. Jeans/t-shirt>>>>>>>>>shiny jumpsuit.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 god_spawn  Moderator
    Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 god_spawn  Moderator
    Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: All that push from higher ups and you still couldn't win the championship at MITB. What a shamity shame.

DB14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to compare: Scotty-Boy at his peak is a Solid Mountain Buster.

Blackagar on the other hand literally screamed a giant rift into the Time-Space-Continuum.

Nuff said.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.