Follow

Cyborg

Character » Cyborg appears in 2943 issues.

Half man, half machine - all hero! After a near fatal incident, Victor Stone was cybernetically enhanced by his father. He now possesses the ability to communicate, manipulate, and interface with nearly all forms of technology. As he is constantly upgrading, he promises to defend the future from any threat. He is also a founding member of the Teen Titans and in some continuities, the Justice League.

Why It Would Be A GREAT Idea To Give Cyborg an Ongoing Series

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#151  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

Cyborg in the beginning, was much like Ben Grimm/ the Thing, where he was mad at his father for turning him into a Cyborg and angry that he was no longer human and able to do what he used to as a human, and feeling separated from humanity. The Thing is one of Marvel's big characters and has his own series several times off and on over the years. I think Cyborg could at least do the same. Maybe his series wouldn't last, but then he might get another, and that might not last either, but later he might get another. Marvel comics' Ms. Marvel, now Captain Marvel, has had her series go up to issue 50 and then get canceled and now she has one again. She-Hulk has had many as well that get canceled and then come back later. Even if Cyborg gets his own series and it only lasts for 20 issues, his status in DC's New 52 will have been upgraded. The fact that he had his solo series and what happened in that solo series wont go away, and perhaps if the story got canceled the events from that series would spread into another DC comic like JLA. Perhaps Cyborg would get center stage in the JLA for a short time because of that. Maybe, at the very least, Cyborg could pop up in other DC New 52 comics, like Teen Titans, Redhood and the Outsiders or whatever it is called.

I still think the idea of Cyborg getting his own solo series would be great. And I really would love his arch enemy to be AMAZO, and to update AMAZO into being Cyborg's Sinestro/Black Adam type of enemy who feels a bond with Cyborg. And this comic would also help to showcase Cyborg and focus on him as a character and not just in the background.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#152  Edited By Black_Claw

I would love for Cyborg to have his own ongoing. I think it would be interesting if handled right. Heck, he's the only founding member of the JL without his own series, he deserves one already.

PassionFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#153  Edited By PassionFlower

He should be DC's Iron Man but he hasn't been developed much at all. If you get a good writer and some on the initial posts great ideas along with some actual development it would be good.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#154  Edited By SUNMAN

No I think saying he is DC's Ironman is a big misunderstanding. Steel is DC's ironman in terms of archetype. Except he wasn't born into wealth, isn't an alchoholic or an arms dealer. Aside from that Steel is pretty much DC's Ironman.

Cyborg's actually fairly distinct from Ironman. And a Cyborg solo will happen eventually, but going by the pacing of Justice League it won't happen anytime soon.

It took us 13 issues to eek out a little bit of info Cyborg's personal life in the new 52. So far I've been accurate in predicting where Johns is taking Cyborg. They are building him up ala Aquaman. As I've said before, just be patient the solo series is coming, but DC isn't going to announce it anytime soon

ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

@SUNMAN: I missed that issue. how did they build him up a little? What did he reveal?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#156  Edited By Teerack

@InnerVenom123 said:

Cancelled in less than a year.

Yep.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#157  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I would read a Cyborg series.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By SUNMAN

@ArtisticNeedham said:

@SUNMAN: I missed that issue. how did they build him up a little? What did he reveal?

Missed which issue? Over the 13 issues we've been getting snippets about Cyborg. In the first arc, we learned his new 52 origin. Promising high-school athlete, uneasy relationship with his father. We learn his dad's Star Labs background. Cyborg has his accident, when he's hit by the energy from the motherbox. Silas is able to save his life by utilizing some of the most advanced untested technology in the world. Cyborg helps the Justice League save the world, and we very rough idea of what his abilities are. etc.

In the next arc we learn Cyborg abilities are pretty ridiculous. He's a full blown cyberpath, anything involving the internet or electronics and he can freely manipulate it, and he can basically hack into anything electronically. Johns basically established he can spy on people and their files at will in an instant if he choses to. We also learn he can fly and can create boom tubes. Than during the whole Graves incident we se Cyborg questioning his humanity.

Last issue we learned Cyborg lives at the Watch Tower, doesn't really sleep, and his life is totally focussed around the Justice League. All he really does is fight crime with the Justice League, help Batman, or immerse himself in the internet since he's seemingly unrestricted in accessing anything electronically. He has that brief conversation with Flash where he admits he has serious doubts about his humanity. This has been a theme with Cyborg's character from all his Teen Titan incarnations. And I get the sense DC is going to slowly have him rediscover his humanity.

As far as Victor's development its been very slow going, but we've gotten something new with each issue. Johns has alluded to several little tidbits about him, and at this point his abilities are roughly defined. We know Cyborg's versatile, but I'm still not sure how powerful he is. We saw him disintegrate two parademons and destroy half of Star Labs with his sonic blast in issue #4, meaning DC's given him a big power up since Flashpoint.

I'd expect a Cyborg series by wave 8 at the latest, just be patient. Victor has obvious connections to Batman and Star Labs not to mention his father. And Johns says he will be good friends with Shazam. DC's been constantly pushing the character on a lot of different fronts, and they are serious about him being a Justice League member.

ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By ArtisticNeedham
    No Caption Provided

@SUNMAN: I missed the last issue, where he apparently revealed he lives at the tower and is completely cut off from Earth and humans. I cannot wait for him to be friends with Captain Marvel, or SHAZAM. That will be cool. I guess the series solo could even be all about his trying to reconnect with his humanity. A guy who has isolated himself from EVERYONE on Earth tries to live among humans again. I'd like that. Round out his character by showing that while he is an unstoppable hacker and computer interfacing cyborg he has trouble dealing with regular people in a regular setting like talking to the woman taking his coffee order at Starbucks, or something like that. He has no fears or trouble dealing with Metallo or talking with Superman, but talking to his father or landlord is hard. And maybe his relationship with AMAZO could be so much like a brother relationship because AMAZO is like a human computer. I am sure they will especially all the subtle hints that have been dropped over time, but I wish it was out already.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Black_Claw

Also, should Cyborg get his own ongoing series, his catch phrase should be "BOOYAH!!!"

Radread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#161  Edited By Radread

I was expecting Vic to get his own series before Vibe or Katanna.

PassionFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By PassionFlower

@Radread said:

I never saw those coming especially Vibe.

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
    knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Cyborg is definitely a more layered character in the New 52. I'd definitely read it if it had to best writer for the job, someone who would give a little insight on to how Cyborg is facing with his identity crisis he's going through (thinking that he's just a machine that just calls itself Victor Stone and that Victor actually died during the attack). I'd definitely read it.

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#164  Edited By Icon

I could not agree more. I would love a Cyborg ongoing in the New 52. I'm not so sure about the villain and supporting cast, but those are elements an ongoing series could better establish.

Power_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Power_Guy

I'm all for Cyborg getting a solo series if it gets him out of the Justice League permanently. :)

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By SUNMAN

@Power_Guy said:

I'm all for Cyborg getting a solo series if it gets him out of the Justice League permanently. :)

he's getting a solo while remaining in the Justic eLeague he is a founder after all

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By OutlawRenegade

@Power_Guy said:

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#168  Edited By chalkshark

What's really surprising about the absence of a Cyborg series, is that Geoff Johns, one of DC's architects, is seemingly in this character's corner, pushing him forward, saying things like "It's his time". That said, there isn't even talk of a series on the horizon. There isn't talk of even a mini-series. Or a One-Shot. Or a Special. He isn't slated to appear in their try out book, DC Universe Presents. He isn't slated to appear in any of the National Comics issues. All of the other members of the Justice League have their own series. Superman and Batman feature in multiple titles. I honestly don't think Cyborg is going to get his own series, because while it may, in fact, "be his time', there doesn't seem to be any push at all from DC to put him in a solo series.

jobbernos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By jobbernos

@Dernman said:

I don't think it will work out. If they do attempt a book they should at least test the waters in DC Presents or Backups before going ahead. I don't think Darkseid should be his villain. It's to much. Darkseid should be a JLA/New Gods/DCU villain.
    SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By SUNMAN

he is getting a solo people just need to be patient. And no Darkseid probably won't be the main antagonist, but if Cyborg's series is succesful somehwer down the line it wouldn't be surprising if he has some interation with Apokolips

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#171  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Black_Claw said:

Also, should Cyborg get his own ongoing series, his catch phrase should be "BOOYAH!!!"

dont forget the theme song

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@SUNMAN said:

@Power_Guy said:

he's getting a solo while remaining in the Justic eLeague he is a founder after all

so were Triumph and Black Canary

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By SUNMAN

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@SUNMAN said:

@Power_Guy said:

Black Canary has a shot at an appearance down the road, but she isn't a member in this new status quo.

I don't know who Triumph is, unless you mean the talking dog with the cigar

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@SUNMAN said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@SUNMAN said:

@Power_Guy said:

Black Canary has a shot at an appearance down the road, but she isn't a member in this new status quo.

she had a mini but never an ongoing. my point is not all founders get ongoings as sucky as it is.

I don't know who Triumph is, unless you mean the talking dog with the cigar

Triumph was a foundng Leaguer post Zero-hour.

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By bloggerboy

@Radread said:

I know it's crazy!

With Cyborg's connection to Darkseid I really think you could create some great story arcs.

Kiddevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Kiddevil

I'd buy it.

SuperSlayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By SuperSlayin

I hope the DC big wigs take note. PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN

LordCouncil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By LordCouncil

we need more black super heros

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Rumble Man

Good idea because that would get his ass off JLA

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Rumble Man said:

Good idea because that would get his ass off JLA

like it did with Supes, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Rumble Man

@OutlawRenegade said:

@Power_Guy said:

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

@Rumble Man said:

@OutlawRenegade said:

@Power_Guy said:

Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

But yeah, get him out of the Justice League.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Rumble Man

@DarkKnightDetective said:

@Rumble Man said:

@OutlawRenegade said:

@Power_Guy said:

Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

@Rumble Man said:

@Rumble Man said:

@OutlawRenegade said:

@Power_Guy said:

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#186  Edited By Decoy Elite

I'd check it out.

Why do people want him off JL?

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Superdork

Cyborg should get his own series and stay on the Justice League because he's the digital heart of the Justice League.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Rumble Man

@Rumble Man said:

@Rumble Man said:

@OutlawRenegade said:

@Power_Guy said:

Crucible248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Crucible248

Most definitely, the way I see it is all the main members of the Justice League should have there own series as well. Cyborg is being positioned as a main member so why not.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Black_Claw

Bottom line, DC if you're gonna push Cyborg into a high position of being a founder of the Justice League, then give him as much spotlight as the other founders. Since they, oh I don't know, have their own books?

ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

Another idea for Cyborg, a way to use him more in stories, is that he is made out of a lot of Apocalyptian technology right? Thats why he can boom them all to different locations, and why he saw Darksied in the beginning. So how about working that into the story? Maybe Darkseid returns, in search of his daughter, and because of Cyborg's robotic body Darkseid is able to mess with him or control him. Maybe during that story he becomes a evil soldier for Darkseid, like an elite Parademon or something. they could redesign his body to look more Apocalyptian and evil and stuff. Just an idea.

No Caption Provided
    Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Black_Claw

@ArtisticNeedham: That sounds like an awesome idea! There's so much potential that Cyborg has. DC if your reading this, PLEASE give Cy a book already.

fACEmelter88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 5

#193  Edited By fACEmelter88

I'd read it. I like him a lot hopefully he will. I'd like to see it focus on him retaining/regaining his humanity and possibly looking more like pre-52 Cyborg, more flesh less metal. I don't mind the new look though it's cool but poor guy only has half a face.

ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

@Black_Claw: Thanks.

I think the perfect way to start it off is by him leaving ht Watchtower, after isolating himself in there for years, and trying to get back to being human living among people. The talk of him worrying about loosing his human lungs in Justice League opens up the idea that he is very worried about his humanity. The ghost he saw of himself in Justice League. Its all about him not liking himself, worrying about loosing himself, and trying to cling to who he is. Thats why I think the story, first arc anyway, could focus on.

He could even become a mentor/advisor to the Teen Titans.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Black_Claw

Also, does anybody know who could be a good love interest for Cyborg?

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By SUNMAN

@Black_Claw said:

I think most would tell you Sarah Charles. They may have had a relationship before he became Cyborg but it is unclear.

He's had a handful of girlfriends pre-Flashpoint though.

I always liked Sarasim from the Teen Titans cartoon episode, Cyborg the Barbarian. I love that convergence of two people from really different worlds. Cyborgs a very modern day superhero, where as Sarasim was more of an Amazon warrior, but they still found a strong connection with one another.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By OutlawRenegade

@Black_Claw said:

In the pre-Flaspoint comics, he dated Sarah Charles and Sarah Simms. I would like to see him date Sarah Charles again. Element Woman is a possibility. Current Amanda Waller could be his Emma Frost.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By SUNMAN

@OutlawRenegade said:

@Black_Claw said:

In the pre-Flaspoint comics, he dated Sarah Charles and Sarah Simms. I would like to see him date Sarah Charles again. Element Woman is a possibility. Current Amanda Waller could be his Emma Frost.

No to Amanda Waller......... no.

That would just be a weird dynamic. I'd sooner see The Wall dating Silas than Victor.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#199  Edited By the_tree

@OutlawRenegade said:

@Black_Claw said:

Avatar image for amp___seeker_of_lost_knowledge
    AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 14

Here's a crazy thought for CYBORG: tie-in connection to THE ZETA PROJECT (the spin-off series of BATMAN BEYOND)

The Zeta Project
    The Zeta Project

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.