Follow

Cyborg

Character » Cyborg appears in 2943 issues.

Half man, half machine - all hero! After a near fatal incident, Victor Stone was cybernetically enhanced by his father. He now possesses the ability to communicate, manipulate, and interface with nearly all forms of technology. As he is constantly upgrading, he promises to defend the future from any threat. He is also a founding member of the Teen Titans and in some continuities, the Justice League.

Randomly blogging/venting my frustration about Cyborg

• 67 results
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@outside_85 said:

Think the visual differences lies in Rocaford is the designer of the Cyborg Superman (ignoring the stupid arm it is a lot better than the abomination he made out of Raven) and like most modern artists of the medium draw men as being lean rather than bulky. Whereas Jim Lee, as the designer of Cyborg, is a product of mainly the 90'ties where overly muscular men and impossibly slim yet big chested women were the norm.

Yeah, I could see this.

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@blkson said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Cyborg can make him self slimmer and does when not in a fight

I have notice that he's been drwn more slimmer since his new52 debut. but he's still ugly as hell though. One of the aesthetic that encompasses almost all comic book hero designs is that they are genuinely more handsome/beautiful than everyone else (because you know, its not enough that they are insurmountably more gifted than everyone else). Although I don't like the idea that superheroes have to be dashingly good looking all whilst being super powered, this issue really stands out to me seeing as Cy is the only person of color (so far) on the roster.

i actually like Cy's look. he doesn't look ugly to me..

Only Ivan Reis, DC's best artist, draws him well. The problem is that other artists draw Cyborg too.

Have you seen these:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

There's beauty in simplicity, DC.

Weren't all of these (with the David Finch exception) drawn before Ivan instituted the whole "slim while passive" explanation? and that whole Throne of Atlantis cover is just bad all around.

@avenging_x_bolt said:

also, Cy is no longer the only person of color. Element Woman is Korean, The new Atom is Latin, and Firestorm is mixed

Yeah, but the only Black guy has a freaky appearance and is constantly shoved in the back (even behind non-founders like Firestorm and Atom). I was so pissed when I read issue 18, the issue that was supposed to bring Cyborg to center stage, but instead gave all the action-packed scenes to Atom and Firestorm.

This understandable.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@deaditegonzo: As much as I love cy, his recent treatment has got me thinking that maybe adding him among the top dogs probably wasn't the best idea. Personally, This is how I would've rebooted the league:

Superman

Batman

Wonder Woman

Green Lantern: John Stewart

Flash: Barry Allen

Aquaman

Martian Manhunter

This would be the perfect line up IMO, but unfortunately most of DC editorial have a hard on for Hal Jordan so it'll never happen.

With good reason. Remember when DC editorially mandated Dwayne Mcduffie to replace Hal with John during his JLA run and people got so pissed that they had to ring Hal back just a few issues later? Hell, Dwayne didn't even want to use John during that run and he loves the character.

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By blkson

@outlawrenegade said:

@outside_85 said:

Think the visual differences lies in Rocaford is the designer of the Cyborg Superman (ignoring the stupid arm it is a lot better than the abomination he made out of Raven) and like most modern artists of the medium draw men as being lean rather than bulky. Whereas Jim Lee, as the designer of Cyborg, is a product of mainly the 90'ties where overly muscular men and impossibly slim yet big chested women were the norm.

Yeah, I could see this.

Only Ivan Reis, DC's best artist, draws him well. The problem is that other artists draw Cyborg too.

Have you seen these:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

There's beauty in simplicity, DC.

Scott Clark design actually looks pretty good in my opinion. He looks slim, lean, and muscular.(e.g. like a wide receiver) The way Cy looks in the top panel is god awful. I really want the face plate gone. But I will admit it is somewhat a staple. But I don't think anyone would have complained if DC got rid of it when they first redesign his costume. Cyborg can make a damn hover board then he should be able to make a hologram around himself to look more human. There is absolutely no consistency on Cyborg's design because his costume is hands down the most busiest in all of DC comics!

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 48

Also, Cyborg could make a hologram to make himself look like his evil counterpart in Injustice. So your right, why can't he make a hologram to make himself look human?

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, Cyborg could make a hologram to make himself look like his evil counterpart in Injustice. So your right, why can't he make a hologram to make himself look human?

Yeap. It makes no sense that he can't make himself look human via hologram.

So to sum up this thread so far:

• Cyborg was brought in by DC to be a founding member, but they insult pretty much everyone by keeping him purely in the background. This is evidenced by his lack of a love interest, lack of a villain, lack of stories focused on him, lack of his own book, lack of screen time, lack of battle feats, and lack of respect even though DC has had two years to produce something meaningful with him. (He's basically the new John Stewart. Pretty soon people will call him boring, and DC editors will try to kill him off).
    • Geoff Johns can only make bad things happen to Cyborg. And he makes him Batman's ****.
    • Besides being the team's bus and Batman's PC, Cyborg contributes nothing to the team.
    • Every form of media other than he comics can depict well-written interpretations of Cyborg (and other minority heroes).
    • Cyborg's design is outdated. And it's outclassed by almost every other cyborg-hero design as well. These include designs from Metal Gear, Ghost in the Shell, Deus Ex, and Cyber Force. And most artists (not including Ivan Reis) cannot draw Cyborg well in his current design.
    • Marvel and DC have high quantities of representation, but only Marvel has high quality minority representation.
    • In DC, if you're a white founder of the League, you get to be handsome. If you're a black founder, then you have to be ugly. And you have to be derogatorily referred to as "kid" or boy.
    • Cyborg will probably never get a real chance to shine in the spotlight. And if he does, it will only happen once or twice before he is killed off, replaced, or retconned away.
    • If Cyborg were to ever get a book, Jimmy Palmiotti should write it.

making up BS solicits that leave fans disapointed (*cough* Justice League 18 *cough*)

Am I missing anything?

@blkson: Thanks for giving us fans a chance to rant. It's soothing. You made excellent points in the OP.

Yeap that sums up Cyborg's entire new52 Justice League existence. I bold the things that really bother me. Why is Cyborg Batman's lapdog? That really annoys me.

@fodigg said:

I agree with a lot of this thread. It's a crime that Cyborg doesn't have a solo. I still like the idea of him having a "battle mode" and a "civilian mode" where he looks more and less armored respectively. But let's be fair. That is just one hot Cyborg Superman design. That design is better than any of the Super-family costumes since the reboot. It's the best one by far.

Lol yeah, that is one awesome Cyborg Superman design.

Cyborg should definitely have a more stream lined design. The ones i posted of mgr:revengence and the ones you posted are fantastic, look cool, and fit his character. He wouldn't lose that factor he has of not being able to look at himself as a man in the mirror if he has a less clunky look.

The funny thing is, cyborg is one the justice league characters that no one would bitch about if he got a redsighn. In fact, a slimmer look would only make sense with someone constantly upgrading. He doesn't have an established iconic look that every knows of, at least not at superman or wonder woman's level.

This! I don't think anyone would have complained if DC took an entirely different approach to Cy's design. He looks horrible!

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By colonyofcells

I prefer Cyborg to look like a normal human same as bionic man and just wear armor for missions. DC seems to want to continue to do I am a Monster stories with cyborg.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer Cyborg to look like a normal human same as bionic man and just wear armor for missions. DC seems to want to continue to do I am a Monster stories with cyborg.

You know at first, I was hesitant about Cy looking like a normal human, mainly because his faceplate has become somewhat of a staple. Another reason is because his story is about his struggle being half man, half machine and I felt that having a human appearance would negate the significance of his story. Finally, I thought that having a human appearance just seemed more android than Cyborg.

But after looking at some fanart, I think that a human appearance for Cyborg could work out.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colonyofcells said:

You know at first, I was hesitant about Cy looking like a normal human, mainly because his faceplate has become somewhat of a staple. Another reason is because his story is about his struggle being half man, half machine and I felt that having a human appearance would negate the significance of his story. Finally, I thought that having a human appearance just seemed more android than Cyborg.

But after looking at some fanart, I think that a human appearance for Cyborg could work out.

Yeah, and he could still use the faceplate from time to time if the mission called for it.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_claw said:

@colonyofcells said:

Yeah, and he could still use the faceplate from time to time if the mission called for it.

maybe he could retract the faceplate at will.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By w0nd

@blkson said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

I have notice that he's been drwn more slimmer since his new52 debut. but he's still ugly as hell though. One of the aesthetic that encompasses almost all comic book hero designs is that they are genuinely more handsome/beautiful than everyone else (because you know, its not enough that they are insurmountably more gifted than everyone else). Although I don't like the idea that superheroes have to be dashingly good looking all whilst being super powered, this issue really stands out to me seeing as Cy is the only person of color (so far) on the roster.

I am fine with the way he looks, i would get annoyed if they all looked like A.F. Models or something. I am glad he has to deal with all this sh!t feeling and looking like a monster. I am glad that he made a big deal about not wanting to go through the environmental protection upgrade or whatever, because he would have to take out more of his HUMAN body parts, but when his team needed him he did it, he actually gave up a part of himself to take one for the team.

While these guys are bickering amongst each other, like ww and gl he does things for the better of his teammates. This is just another case of the "monster being the most human of us all" He isn't sure if he is just a machine who thinks he is a man or if he is actually Vic stone still. I like to see him struggle because each time he does he over comes it. I honestly don't think it comes down to, "you know what, he's black, lets draw him ugly and bulky, and make him stupid and a loser!" It's just one of those things that happened, he hangs around with space cops, alien gods, amazons, speed masters, and he accidentally fell into all this and is hanging with the big guys.

As for the way he looks, matter of opinion I guess, some people like big robots with gears and flaps opening and closing, some people like, the slimmer look.

anyways this is all opinion of course, sucks that people aren't happy with him, but can't please everyone sadly :P

Even though i don't mind the look i wish he had some more skin shown. I found his old look god awful, as slim as he looked like he should be on american gladiator or something.

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By blkson

@w0nd said:

@blkson said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

I am fine with the way he looks, i would get annoyed if they all looked like A.F. Models or something. I am glad he has to deal with all this sh!t feeling and looking like a monster. I am glad that he made a big deal about not wanting to go through the environmental protection upgrade or whatever, because he would have to take out more of his HUMAN body parts, but when his team needed him he did it, he actually gave up a part of himself to take one for the team.

While these guys are bickering amongst each other, like ww and gl he does things for the better of his teammates. This is just another case of the "monster being the most human of us all" He isn't sure if he is just a machine who thinks he is a man or if he is actually Vic stone still. I like to see him struggle because each time he does he over comes it. I honestly don't think it comes down to, "you know what, he's black,lets draw him ugly and bulky, and make him stupid and a loser! " It's just one of those things that happened, he hangs around with space cops, alien gods, amazons, speed masters, and he accidentally fell into all this and is hanging with the big guys.

As for the way he looks, matter of opinion I guess, some people like big robots with gears and flaps opening and closing, some people like, the slimmer look.

anyways this is all opinion of course, sucks that people aren't happy with him, but can't please everyone sadly :P

Even though i don't mind the look i wish he had some more skin shown. I found his old look god awful, as slim as he looked like he should be on american gladiator or something.

No one is even insinuating that because he's black "lets draw him ugly and bulky, and make him stupid and a loser!"

It's the fact that hes the ONLY person of color (so far) on a team of super powered beautiful handsome model looking white folk and he's completely the opposite.

And yea, costumes do comes down to personal taste. I def don't like his design. However, like I aforementioned earlier in this thread, Scott Clark's design is perfect! :P

Also what is there to be happy about with Cy? He hasn't really done anything. That part when you talk about the issue of Cy not knowing if he's man or machine hasn't really been explored yet and here we are in year 2 of him being on the League. I love the character but he just hasn't been give much attention. There needs to be a Cyborg Arc. An arc COMPLETELY about him like Aquaman's. Fans thought that the arc "The Grid" was going to be about Cy but it wasn't so we wait.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blkson said:

@w0nd said:

@blkson said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

While these guys are bickering amongst each other, like ww and gl he does things for the better of his teammates. This is just another case of the "monster being the most human of us all" He isn't sure if he is just a machine who thinks he is a man or if he is actually Vic stone still. I like to see him struggle because each time he does he over comes it. I honestly don't think it comes down to, "you know what, he's black,lets draw him ugly and bulky, and make him stupid and a loser! " It's just one of those things that happened, he hangs around with space cops, alien gods, amazons, speed masters, and he accidentally fell into all this and is hanging with the big guys.

No one is even insinuating that because he's black "lets draw him ugly and bulky, and make him stupid and a loser!"

It's the fact that hes the ONLY person of color (so far) on a team of super powered beautiful handsome model looking white folk and he's completely the opposite.

Atom, Firestorm and Element Woman (and thats just if you dont count the JLA)

And yea, costumes do comes down to personal taste. I def don't like his design. However, like I aforementioned earlier in this thread, Scott Clark's design is perfect! :P

Also what is there to be happy about with Cy? He hasn't really done anything. That part when you talk about the issue of Cy not knowing if he's man or machine hasn't really been explored yet and here we are in year 2 of him being on the League. I love the character but he just hasn't been give much attention. There needs to be a Cyborg Arc. An arc COMPLETELY about him like Aquaman's. Fans thought that the arc "The Grid" was going to be about Cy but it wasn't so we wait.

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By blkson

@avenging_x_bolt: I know about Atom and Firestorm. However they'er not founding members and as of yet have not been seen in action with the league. They are nice additions. But, them being added brings more attention needed to be tailored to other characters thus, possibly, making less screen time for Cy.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blkson said:

@w0nd said:

@blkson said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Well at least in the Blue devil Black lightning pair up it would be the opposite :P. I mean so far there aren't that many black heroes introduced, but I see your point about him being on the team and all and looking like that.

Would you consider his old look handsome or more attractive? I can't really stand that one at all

I am perfectly happy with him so far, he is the go to guy, batman even called him into the cave for his expertise, he pretty much knows everything without trying. He hasn't gotten his time to shine yet but they do praise him. He was the one who opened and closed the boom tubes. I mean depending how you look at it it could be good or bad. I see him opening and closing boom tubes as something pretty sweet, but someone else could view him as the chauffeur from driving miss daisy.

If they are going to give him a Solo book I want them to do it right, I don't want another Static situation where it gets cancelled immediately. It makes me sick when they go on about how many books are coming out in the new 52 and then i read down the list of what's being canceled, and if just an arc then something good. I hate when they start off great but midway they get ridiculous, once again static, by the end of the book his clone or future self or SOMETHING comes along randomly, it was just a cluster f*ck and embarrassing for the character

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#65  Edited By Captain13

@w0nd said:

@blkson said:

@w0nd said:

@blkson said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Well at least in the Blue devil Black lightning pair up it would be the opposite :P. I mean so far there aren't that many black heroes introduced, but I see your point about him being on the team and all and looking like that.

Would you consider his old look handsome or more attractive? I can't really stand that one at all

I am perfectly happy with him so far, he is the go to guy, batman even called him into the cave for his expertise, he pretty much knows everything without trying. He hasn't gotten his time to shine yet but they do praise him. He was the one who opened and closed the boom tubes. I mean depending how you look at it it could be good or bad. I see him opening and closing boom tubes as something pretty sweet, but someone else could view him as the chauffeur from driving miss daisy.

If they are going to give him a Solo book I want them to do it right, I don't want another Static situation where it gets cancelled immediately. It makes me sick when they go on about how many books are coming out in the new 52 and then i read down the list of what's being canceled, and if just an arc then something good. I hate when they start off great but midway they get ridiculous, once again static, by the end of the book his clone or future self or SOMETHING comes along randomly, it was just a cluster f*ck and embarrassing for the character

One of the problems is that he doesn't contribute. Anything. The Justice League satellite already has teleportation docs. Batman already has a supercomputer. If Cyborg is not a notable fighter then why is he in the book? Batman's already the strategist. If Cyborg's not an equal player, then why was he included? If he's not drawing readers in due to his sparkling personality, then why should people care about him? DC doesn't even seem to care about him. I'd much rather just get John Stewart back at this point.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Black_Claw

@w0nd said:

@blkson said:

@w0nd said:

@blkson said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

One of the problems is that he doesn't contribute. Anything. The Justice League satellite already has teleportation docs. Batman already has a supercomputer. If Cyborg is not a notable fighter then why is he in the book? Batman's already the strategist. If Cyborg's not an equal player, then why was he included? If he's not drawing readers in due to his sparkling personality, then why should people care about him? DC doesn't even seem to care about him. I'd much rather just get John Stewart back at this point.

Lol, that's what I've considered in an earlier post. Have John in Hal's place and have MM in Cyborg's place (Hal can be an on and off member of the league). As for the JLA I'd have the exact same line up, only thing is that Icon would be in MM's place.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blkson: 2 years later, what do you think about the character changes

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.