NEW 52 WAVE 2: Why does Cyborg still not have an ongoing title?

#1 Posted by Captain13 (3516 posts) - - Show Bio

He's the only big 7 member who doesn't.

Don't Cry, Cy.
#2 Posted by BlackArmor (6149 posts) - - Show Bio

He doesn't have the fan base I guess, I really want him to get one though I would buy it instantly

#3 Posted by War Killer (20375 posts) - - Show Bio

They may give him one in the future, seeing as his new origins are being told right now in Justice League it could lead to hi having his own title in the future possibly. Just depends on the fan-reaction to his character in JL.

#4 Posted by daredevil21134 (12374 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he should get a shot at one

#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34336 posts) - - Show Bio

hopefully he will after he gets more press

#6 Posted by War Killer (20375 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134 said:

I think he should get a shot at one

A mini-series would probably work, let people get a taste of what an on-going could be like and if it sells well DC could turn it into an actual on-going series.

#7 Posted by EugeneSaxe (227 posts) - - Show Bio

@Adnan: Lack of a fanbase is the BEST reason. Or do you not see that publishing a comic w/o fans = wasted money?

#8 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

@EugeneSaxe: Didn't stop them from risking putting out stuff like Resurrection Man or Voodoo titles. I'm sure those characters have fans, but there are many characters who have far larger fanbases than them who haven't even been mentioned in the DCnU yet.

And perhaps I'm alone here, but I feel that the fact that Cyborg's a JL founding member now is enough for many people to atleast try a Cyborg ongoing, if one was available.

#9 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he should get one just cause everyone else has one, not only that, but he's pretty cool. I'm somewhat surprised one wasn't announced for the second wave. With OMAC gone, I would pick it up. Maybe we could use him as a replacement for one of the ten bat-titles. Would you guys like a Cyborg series to replace, say, the Dark Knight?

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34336 posts) - - Show Bio

He wont get one, DC put him on the JLA to gauge is popularity to see if he could hold his own book without fear of cancellation but with the backlash they have got for putting him on the Justice league, there is no way he will get his own book.

#11 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

This really does need to happen. If Cyborg is going to be big league, he needs to be treated as such. And his technological bent offers a whole new realm of "transhumanist" themes and mythology that can be explored.

We already have the green and the red in Swamp Thing and Animal Man, we could have technology represented there as well with Cyborg. Perhaps "the blue?" (I initially thought "the black" for tech, but that might be a bit on the nose for the inclusiveness they're trying to accomplish with the character.)

Or they could go the opposite route and tie Cyborg into the space books considering the alien origins of his tech. Or they could do both. Why not?

#12 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12248 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyborg doesn't deserve his on-going. Mainly because I went from liking him to hating his guys for taking Manhunters spot in the N52 JLA. He sucks. He should be a titans, not in the JLA. In a nonbaised opinion though, I don't think cyborg would have a successful ongoing because he doesn't really have any enemies or anything and I don't see him having any successful stories. And his fan base isn't that grand. It would be like a mix of Mister Terrific (for the tech) and Static (for the inexperience) [no correlation with both examples being african, like cyborg]

#13 Posted by MonkeyToe (386 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

He wont get one, DC put him on the JLA to gauge is popularity to see if he could hold his own book without fear of cancellation but with the backlash they have got for putting him on the Justice league, there is no way he will get his own book.

What backlash?

#14 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34336 posts) - - Show Bio
@MonkeyToe said:

@spiderbat87 said:

He wont get one, DC put him on the JLA to gauge is popularity to see if he could hold his own book without fear of cancellation but with the backlash they have got for putting him on the Justice league, there is no way he will get his own book.

What backlash?

see above your comment or read the ones in the G-Mans "Why Cyborg Deserves To Be In The Justice League" topic
#15 Posted by MonkeyToe (386 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@MonkeyToe said:

@spiderbat87 said:

He wont get one, DC put him on the JLA to gauge is popularity to see if he could hold his own book without fear of cancellation but with the backlash they have got for putting him on the Justice league, there is no way he will get his own book.

What backlash?

see above your comment or read the ones in the G-Mans "Why Cyborg Deserves To Be In The Justice League" topic

Meh. I wouldn't call it "backlash". Obviously there will always people unhappy with change, such is to be expected.

#16 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34336 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg said:

This really does need to happen. If Cyborg is going to be big league, he needs to be treated as such. And his technological bent offers a whole new realm of "transhumanist" themes and mythology that can be explored.

We already have the green and the red in Swamp Thing and Animal Man, we could have technology represented there as well with Cyborg. Perhaps "the blue?" (I initially thought "the black" for tech, but that might be a bit on the nose for the inclusiveness they're trying to accomplish with the character.)

Or they could go the opposite route and tie Cyborg into the space books considering the alien origins of his tech. Or they could do both. Why not?

I love this idea, the grey? the silver?
#17 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

He wont get one, DC put him on the JLA to gauge is popularity to see if he could hold his own book without fear of cancellation but with the backlash they have got for putting him on the Justice league, there is no way he will get his own book.

I'd read his book fer dayz, but I don't like him in the JLA. I don't think that they're correlated at all.

#18 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

This really does need to happen. If Cyborg is going to be big league, he needs to be treated as such. And his technological bent offers a whole new realm of "transhumanist" themes and mythology that can be explored.

We already have the green and the red in Swamp Thing and Animal Man, we could have technology represented there as well with Cyborg. Perhaps "the blue?" (I initially thought "the black" for tech, but that might be a bit on the nose for the inclusiveness they're trying to accomplish with the character.)

Or they could go the opposite route and tie Cyborg into the space books considering the alien origins of his tech. Or they could do both. Why not?

The Black is taken, actually.

#19 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34336 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

He wont get one, DC put him on the JLA to gauge is popularity to see if he could hold his own book without fear of cancellation but with the backlash they have got for putting him on the Justice league, there is no way he will get his own book.

I'd read his book fer dayz, but I don't like him in the JLA. I don't think that they're correlated at all.

DC wont see it that way
#20 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

He wont get one, DC put him on the JLA to gauge is popularity to see if he could hold his own book without fear of cancellation but with the backlash they have got for putting him on the Justice league, there is no way he will get his own book.

I'd read his book fer dayz, but I don't like him in the JLA. I don't think that they're correlated at all.

DC wont see it that way

I'm not going to lie and say I support their decision to make him part of the JLA fully, just on the off chance they might think that it would give him a chance for the solo books.

#21 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34336 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

He wont get one, DC put him on the JLA to gauge is popularity to see if he could hold his own book without fear of cancellation but with the backlash they have got for putting him on the Justice league, there is no way he will get his own book.

I'd read his book fer dayz, but I don't like him in the JLA. I don't think that they're correlated at all.

DC wont see it that way

I'm not going to lie and say I support their decision to make him part of the JLA fully, just on the off chance they might think that it would give him a chance for the solo books.

Ok dude
#22 Posted by EdBlank (560 posts) - - Show Bio

One of those strange coincidences. Like the Black guy dying first in most movies.

#23 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@fodigg said:

This really does need to happen. If Cyborg is going to be big league, he needs to be treated as such. And his technological bent offers a whole new realm of "transhumanist" themes and mythology that can be explored.

We already have the green and the red in Swamp Thing and Animal Man, we could have technology represented there as well with Cyborg. Perhaps "the blue?" (I initially thought "the black" for tech, but that might be a bit on the nose for the inclusiveness they're trying to accomplish with the character.)

Or they could go the opposite route and tie Cyborg into the space books considering the alien origins of his tech. Or they could do both. Why not?

I love this idea, the grey? the silver?

Those might work best.

@ReVamp said:

@fodigg said:

This really does need to happen. If Cyborg is going to be big league, he needs to be treated as such. And his technological bent offers a whole new realm of "transhumanist" themes and mythology that can be explored.

We already have the green and the red in Swamp Thing and Animal Man, we could have technology represented there as well with Cyborg. Perhaps "the blue?" (I initially thought "the black" for tech, but that might be a bit on the nose for the inclusiveness they're trying to accomplish with the character.)

Or they could go the opposite route and tie Cyborg into the space books considering the alien origins of his tech. Or they could do both. Why not?

The Black is taken, actually.

It is? I thought it was just the Green, the Red, and the Rot so far.

#24 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: I'm pretty sure they stated the Rot is represented by the colour black...

#25 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@fodigg: I'm pretty sure they stated the Rot is represented by the colour black...

Ah. I didn't catch that. I always assumed they were more orange/yellow from how they were drawn in Animal Man, but "black" makes as much sense as anything considering the Rot agents are basically zombies, just like Black Lanterns.

#26 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: I think it was mentioned in Swamp Thing.

#27 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

if he had his own series, he would be mr terrific 2 meaning epic fail and wasting good characters along the way like pg for example. plus he doesnt have anything going for him except getting a new origin story. i still think putting him on the jl as a founding member was a douche move from dc. he is literally a nobody in dc, except for a few showings in teen titans. my opinnion.

#28 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion said:

if he had his own series, he would be mr terrific 2 meaning epic fail and wasting good characters along the way like pg for example. plus he doesnt have anything going for him except getting a new origin story. i still think putting him on the jl as a founding member was a douche move from dc. he is literally a nobody in dc, except for a few showings in teen titans. my opinnion.

He was in the Titans for a good amount of years, and has lots of fans who grew up watching the Teen Titans show on Cartoon Network. I'd say quite a few people know him.

#29 Posted by Billy Batson (58268 posts) - - Show Bio

Because the only black characters that can handle a long term series are Black Panther and Spawn.
BB

#30 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funrush: one problem sport: the cartoon version is not even 5 miles away from the comic version. its on another planet, anime planet. and i dont think he really got much of a fan base from a cartoon. he was the least interesting guy on the team imo. but hey waste a good opportunity to promote an actually good character.

#31 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

Because the only black characters that can handle a long term series are Black Panther and Spawn.
BB

Isn't BP getting cancelled? And Spawn a white dude now?

#32 Posted by Billy Batson (58268 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

@Billy Batson said:

Because the only black characters that can handle a long term series are Black Panther and Spawn.
BB

Isn't BP getting cancelled? And Spawn a white dude now?

Is it? Yes, but he was over 200 issues as the main character.
BB

#33 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

@TheCrowbar said:

@Billy Batson said:

Because the only black characters that can handle a long term series are Black Panther and Spawn.
BB

Isn't BP getting cancelled? And Spawn a white dude now?

Is it? Yes, but he was over 200 issues as the main character.
BB

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/11/17/marvel-moves-x-23-canceled-punishermax-ends-greg-land-on/

#34 Posted by Billy Batson (58268 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

@Billy Batson said:

@TheCrowbar said:

@Billy Batson said:

Because the only black characters that can handle a long term series are Black Panther and Spawn.
BB

Isn't BP getting cancelled? And Spawn a white dude now?

Is it? Yes, but he was over 200 issues as the main character.
BB

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/11/17/marvel-moves-x-23-canceled-punishermax-ends-greg-land-on/

Damn. Marvel sure knows how publish their female/minority books.
BB

#35 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

He doesn't have the fanbase at the moment but his fanbase show grow rapidly from his contribution in Justice League. I believe we would see a Cyborg series in near future. It might be a limited series to star off to at least see how well his does.

#36 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@soccersss said:

He doesn't have the fanbase at the moment but his fanbase show grow rapidly from his contribution in Justice League. I believe we would see a Cyborg series in near future. It might be a limited series to star off to at least see how well his does.

Doubtful. Honestly John Stewart had a bigger fanbase if they were looking to add diversity to the team it should've been him as an addition. Then we could've avoided the monstrous black dude trope.

#37 Posted by Dernman (15449 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

@TheCrowbar said:

@Billy Batson said:

@TheCrowbar said:

@Billy Batson said:

Because the only black characters that can handle a long term series are Black Panther and Spawn.
BB

Isn't BP getting cancelled? And Spawn a white dude now?

Is it? Yes, but he was over 200 issues as the main character.
BB

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/11/17/marvel-moves-x-23-canceled-punishermax-ends-greg-land-on/

Damn. Marvel sure knows how publish their female/minority books.
BB

I thought they cancelled BP but they had plans for another book for him. I do know they are planning something for him.

#38 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#39 Posted by Captain13 (3516 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer said:

They may give him one in the future, seeing as his new origins are being told right now in Justice League it could lead to hi having his own title in the future possibly. Just depends on the fan-reaction to his character in JL.

#41 Posted by Black_Claw (3042 posts) - - Show Bio

So let me get this straight, Vibe and Katana are getting their own solo's while Cyborg still has yet to get his own? What bull.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.