How powerful are Cyborg's weapons?

#1 Posted by SUNMAN (7239 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still trying to quantify how powerful this attack was, Victor's sonic blast was already very strong pre-flashpoint. We've seen the sonic cannon knock out walls and incapacitate the likes of Superboy in the pages of Teen Titans. Now in Justice League #4 we see Cyborg VAPORIZE two parademons not to mention busting a gigantic whole in the Star Lab wall/roof with ease. As with many heroes I don't think we can apply real world physics to this. The decible levels Cyborg can create and how he is able to focus his sound blast is pretty impressive. Still I'm bored and this is a message bored after all so I'll give it a shot.

Sound Ranges

Column HeadColumn Head
weakest sound heard0dB
whisper quite library at 6 feet30dB
Normal conversation at 3 feet60-65dB
White Noise60-70dB
Telephone Dial Tone80dB
City Trafic (inside car)85dB
Train Whistle at 500 feet, Truck Traffic90dB
JackHammer 50 feet95dB
Subway Train 200 feet95dB
Level at which sustained exposure may result in hearing loss90-95dB
hand drill98dB
Snow Mobile, Motorcycle100dB
Power Mower at 3 feet107dB
Power Saw at 3 feet110dB
Sandblasting or Loud Rock Concert115dB
Pain Begins125dB
Pneumatic Riveter at 4 feet125dB
Even Short term exposure can cause permanent damage- Loudest recommended exposure with hearing protection140dB
Jet engine at 100 feet140dB
Symphonic music peak120-137dB
Rock Music Peak150dB
12 Gauge Shotgun Blast165db
Death of Hearing Tissue180dB
Loudest Sound Believed to be Possible194dB

Cyborg's "White Noise Cannon" or Sonic/Sound Cannon/Blaster

around: 125db-500db
sources:
http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

http://www.sleepwellbaby.com/How-Loud-is-a-White-Noise-Machine-s/131.htm

Aside from his White Noise Canon, New 52 Cyborg's shown the propensity to shift his arms into several hightech laser and gatling/turret like guns. As illustrated below:

Thoughts? How powerful do you all think Cyborg's New 52 blasters are. How do his blasters in-particular stack up(compare) against the projectile attacks of: Blue Beetle, Green Lantern, Ironman, DarkHawk, Cyclops, Superman, Big Guy, Rusty, Stripes etc. Weaker? Stronger? About the same? Are there any other offensive weapons you would like to see Cyborg utilize? Mele weapons? Chainsaws, buzz saws?

Even in Cartoons Cyborg's sound blast had been shown to be a pretty respectable weapon, as early as the Galactic Guardians cartoon. Although the Teen Titans Go! cartoon treated his sonic canon more as an energy blaster than a noise/sonic weapon.

#2 Posted by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio

I've heard that sound can melt cancer tumors if you set it to the right decibel, but those sounds are safe to use indoors (I think). So the decibel level may not accurately reflect the strength of Cyborg's cannons. But in the preview to Justice League #14, Cyborg shows that he can mimic sounds, so he probably can hit the highest and lowest peaks of sound. And his cannon is probably effective against all heroes who have super hearing like Superman and Aquaman (based on the Justice League #14). Not sure his cannon has been compared to other blasts yet though. And I have no clue about the strength of his energy blasts. We probably won't learn more about them until his solo series.

As for weapons that I'd like to see, an energy chain saw for melee is high on my list. I'd also like to see him create cannons that can shoot all types of radiation. If he could make rail guns, that would be badass too. He should also be able to access missile silos and the watch tower armory and to use them remotely. It would be pretty epic to see him bombard opponent with the Justice League's orbital satellite cannon while he simultaneously uses his arms cannons. It would also be sweet to see him use BFR more or to use his boom tubes offensively. I mean, can he open up a boom tube inside someone? That could be pretty damaging.

#3 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome post. I wish there was a way to favorite posts, because I don't have the most time to read now. I expect to give a full opinion when time frees up.

#4 Posted by SUNMAN (7239 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superdork said:

I've heard that sound can melt cancer tumors if you set it to the right decibel, but those sounds are safe to use indoors (I think). So the decibel level may not accurately reflect the strength of Cyborg's cannons. But in the preview to Justice League #14, Cyborg shows that he can mimic sounds, so he probably can hit the highest and lowest peaks of sound. And his cannon is probably effective against all heroes who have super hearing like Superman and Aquaman (based on the Justice League #14). Not sure his cannon has been compared to other blasts yet though. And I have no clue about the strength of his energy blasts. We probably won't learn more about them until his solo series.

As for weapons that I'd like to see, an energy chain saw for melee is high on my list. I'd also like to see him create cannons that can shoot all types of radiation. If he could make rail guns, that would be badass too. He should also be able to access missile silos and the watch tower armory and to use them remotely. It would be pretty epic to see him bombard opponent with the Justice League's orbital satellite cannon while he simultaneously uses his arms cannons. It would also be sweet to see him use BFR more or to use his boom tubes offensively. I mean, can he open up a boom tube inside someone? That could be pretty damaging.

melt isn't quite the right term for that process but thats a whole different method. And cancer and the different methods for treating it beyond radiation are rather tricky, that science is still progressing.

Decibels are really the only unit of measurement we have for sound force so I can't think of another way we'd look at it, just in terms of the destructive nature in which Cyborg uses it. I actually posted two of the Justice League #14 preview panels in the OP. He can mimic sound and translate languages and do a lot of other things, but I don't think that was using his "white noise" cannon in those instances. I was simply trying to rationalize the force of his sound blast, and frankly what its capable of is far stronger than anything we see in the real world.

194 decibles is believed to be the loudest sound possible. But given the focussed sound blasts Cyborg emits I believe his white noise cannon must reach a much higher decibel interval. Obviously this is a comic so I'm probably over analyzing this, but I think its fun to think about these things.

We've seen examples of sound/vibrations/frequencies collapsing bridges and structures in the real world. Look at the old cavalry marches in unison that collapsed bridges in the 1800s. Still nothing compares to what we see Cyborg do in Justice LEague #4, to be able to punch a hole in the wall and vaporize a parademon in the blink of an eye would require a sustained decible level of much higher than 194. I believe he'd have to reach a decible level of at least 300 to accomplish this, which may not even be possible by real world physics.

As for his blaster guns I'm content with what he has now. It's already a big improvement over his pre-Flashpoint armaments. He's shown us a few diferent beam weapons that I'm assuming are simply laser guns, and we saw him with a gatling gun in Justice League #7 (not sure if he was firing bullets or energy rounds).

I agree with you on the mele weapons. I think it would be cool if he could transfigure his hands into some type of chainsaw or buzz-saw type weapon. Maybe he could produce some swordlike Optimus Prime blades to dice up his enemies, or a plasma sword etc.

Agree with Cyborg using his boomtubes more in battle. From his conversation with Flash in JL #8 it seems like he can teleport himself easily. He only has problems when he transports groups and has a malfunction 1 out of every thousand jumps or something. I don't think boomtubes can be used to actually attack people though. At least they've never been used that way in the past before.

#5 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

i agree with superdork chainsaw, gattling gun, and other types of attack would be awesome. he could turn his hand into swords or a flame thrower that would be cool.

#6 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

Soon he will potentially out 'utility' GL and Bats

he could be a 'sonic screwdriver' like in Dr Who if he wants

#7 Posted by chocobojam (288 posts) - - Show Bio

In my opinion, a super heroes/villains weapons or super powers will only be as powerful as the writer will allow it.

#8 Posted by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by Kiddevil (7488 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe cyborg could take down power houses like superman if he pushed him self.

#10 Posted by SUNMAN (7239 posts) - - Show Bio

now we can add Ice Canon to the mix

Mr. Freeze eat your heart out
#11 Posted by Black_Claw (2997 posts) - - Show Bio

@SUNMAN said:

Cyborg is sure shaping up to be a powerhouse

#12 Edited by Captain13 (3336 posts) - - Show Bio

@Black_Claw: He really is! Sonics, Plasma, and Ice. The strength, speed, and senses. Size shifting. Teleportation. Access to every computer on the planet. Technopathy. He's a boss.

#13 Posted by dondave (37991 posts) - - Show Bio

@SUNMAN: It was Zatanna who froze the water

#14 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

@SUNMAN: It was Zatanna who froze the water

I think it was all three: Zatanna has her spell, Cyborg has his freeze-cannon, and Firestorm can transmute elements.

#15 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@SUNMAN said:

Hopefully it won't reach captain cold levels

#16 Posted by SUNMAN (7239 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rumble Man said:

@SUNMAN said:

Hopefully it won't reach captain cold levels

given his power up I doubt it. Wouldn't want to step on his toes lol

#17 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@SUNMAN: Dangit, he could just absorb all the gadgets but that would make some villains redundant

might as well take batman's gadgets

He needs a great villain to counterbalance his great skills, like somebody with a similar background with a beef

#18 Edited by drgnx (3564 posts) - - Show Bio

@SUNMAN:

Well the E-2 Humans built this out of Apokalypse Tech, If a belt can do turn into all that Cyborg should be able to do more. That is assuming/hoping the tech is similar.

BTW, the Tony-Wannabe didn't last long against SteppenWolf. Still, awesome tech!

#19 Posted by SUNMAN (7239 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx said:

@SUNMAN:

Well the E-2 Humans built this out of Apokalypse Tech, If a belt can do turn into all that Cyborg should be able to do more. That is assuming/hoping the tech is similar.

BTW, the Tony-Wannabe didn't last long against SteppenWolf. Still, awesome tech!

what comic and issue are these scans from?

#20 Edited by drgnx (3564 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by w0nd (3524 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder how strong he is physically

#22 Posted by SUNMAN (7239 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd said:

I wonder how strong he is physically

This is a good question. It's hard to say we've only seen glimpses of his strength feats.

• holding up a stone wall or two
  • stopping a moving car and lifting it up
  • grappling with parademons

that is about it. He's more of a blaster so it is hard to gauge how strong he is, with his limited strength feats in the New 52.

Ignoring comic covers, which are just for dramatic effect, Victor does seem highly durable. He took a proximity mine point blank without any damage and has withstood high voltage electric blasts

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.