He finally gets a new villain. The GRID

#1 Edited by SUNMAN (7236 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/03/so-what-crime-syndicate-of-america-will-we-be-getting/

And will they be unveiled at San Diego Comic Con?

There are the five members of the Crime Syndicate Of America headlining the Forever Evil series, that you know.

Johnny Quick to counter The Flash

Power Ring (via Volthoom) to counter Green Lantern

Superwoman to counter Wonder Woman

Ultraman to counter Superman

Owlman to counter Batman.

And there are four more.

Sea King to counter Aquaman.

The Grid to counter Cyborg

Atomique to counter The Atom

Deathstorm to counter Firestorm

And one more… that even I can’t unravel yet.

And the Thomas Wayne Owlman is the character who both has a vested interest in Dick Grayson, but also not letting him die…

looks like this will happen in Forever Evil. Thoughts. Haven't heard of this guy so I'm assuming its a new character. If this is accurate. This is reported by Bleeding Cool and has not been confirmed so this might just be speculation.

Post what you think the Grid will look like. What do you expect or want out of him?

#2 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13126 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by noj (1084 posts) - - Show Bio

My guess is that the Grid will be that program Cyborg created in the earlier issues given sentinence and placed in a Super Robo body. Kinda like Hal 3000 meets Amazo. If I remember correctly the Grid Cyborg created monitored and kept files on Heroes maybe giving it a Brother Eye kind of feel.

#5 Posted by Black_Claw (2987 posts) - - Show Bio

So they actually WILL be doing interesting with Cyborg? I might actually have hope for this character again.

#6 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw: Just wait and see. It may be another big let down.

#7 Posted by Saren (25671 posts) - - Show Bio

Throwaway character to fill a slot on the Crime Syndicate's roster.

#8 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

*shrugs*.

Could be interesting, but I'm not holding my breath.

#9 Posted by Lvenger (19847 posts) - - Show Bio

Lame ass sounding name. And isn't The Grid the network by which Cyborg can catalogue and contact almost every metahuman on the planet? Sounds like they needed a random guy to go up against Cyborg. So I'm guessing at the end of Trinity War that opening Pandora's Box again will somehow send the Justice League to Earth 3 and the Crime Syndicate to New Earth.

#10 Posted by Black_Claw (2987 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Edited by blkson (785 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe Cyborg will take center stage... I doubt it.

But I'm actually more curious about the member that they couldn't reveal. I bet its a Captain Shazam match up.

#12 Posted by Black_Claw (2987 posts) - - Show Bio

@blkson said:

Maybe Cyborg will take center stage... I doubt it.

But I'm actually more curious about the member that they couldn't reveal. I bet its a Captain Shazam match up.

I'm having my doubts as well, the least I'm hoping for is that they make this villain remotely interesting.

#13 Posted by The Stegman (24333 posts) - - Show Bio

I want them to do more with him, since he's the only member of the League without a solo, he needs more exposure.

#14 Posted by Knightfall225 (1989 posts) - - Show Bio

His name is Shazam....not Captain Shazam........but anyways I like Cyborg but i think he needs a better villain

#15 Posted by blkson (785 posts) - - Show Bio

His name is Shazam....not Captain Shazam........but anyways I like Cyborg but i think he needs a better villain

I know what his name is, but I call him Captain Shazam. And we don't even know who the Grid is yet. Or do we?

#16 Posted by Black_Claw (2987 posts) - - Show Bio

@blkson said:

@knightfall225 said:

I know what his name is, but I call him Captain Shazam. And we don't even know who the Grid is yet. Or do we?

Probably Cyborg's evil counterpart from an alternate universe, like Owlman and Ultraman.

#17 Edited by blkson (785 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw: Yea I know that. I was referring to the comment about Cy needing a better villain. We don't even know what this Grid guy is all about yet. I know he'll obviously be a cyborg or maybe an android.

It'll be interesting to see if each member of the JL get a significant amount of representation while fighting their doppelganger. This could really bring Cyborg to the front lines and shine some focus on him. But that's only if each member gets a significant amount of time dedicated toward them. Hopefully it doesn't just focus on the big 3 and their doppelgangers.

#18 Posted by Black_Claw (2987 posts) - - Show Bio

@blkson: This may be unlikely but I hope this Grid guy actually stays around and becomes a part of Cyborgs rogues gallery should he get an ongoing.

#19 Edited by blkson (785 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw: That's what I'm thinkin' too. He could become a new archenemy for Cy. But I doubt that too.

#20 Posted by SmashBrawler (5731 posts) - - Show Bio

This is literally the least interesting part of that whole article. Even Deathstorm and Atomique sound more interesting than that other guy.

#21 Posted by Knightfall225 (1989 posts) - - Show Bio

im OK with him having a new villain but don't want all them to be computer based villains if you know what i mean.

#22 Edited by blkson (785 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightfall225: Yeah that makes sense. Computer based villains would get pretty tiring after a while. Maybe him and Captain Shazam will get paired up. Magic & Machine type of book, which could bring about a variety of enemies.

But then again, I really like Marvels Avengers A.I. book. So maybe fighting computer like villains wouldn't be so bad.

#23 Posted by Dernman (15072 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't call him Cyborg's villain but his counterpart. Same as I wouldn't call Ultraman Superman's villain.

#24 Posted by SUNMAN (7236 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: beggars can't be choosers. Since DC erased the Teen Titans Victor's basically lost all his enemies. Now he just has team enemies with the Justice League.

Cyborg probably lost the Phantom Limbs and Cyborg Revenge Squad as enemies. We saw Mr. Orr in the first arc of Justice League either issue #3 or #4, but I'm not sure he's become evil Post-Flashpoint.

I thought it would be cool if DC played up the Apokolips or New Genesis connection because he has alien tech in him and Apokolips Boom Tube energy along with an actual Boom Tube inside him

#25 Edited by blkson (785 posts) - - Show Bio

After looking at the previews for Trinity War part 2, I think Zatanna might become a permanent member of the Justice League. The last member that couldn't be named is Annataz Arataz (Earth 3 Zatanna) and she'll be the "counter" for Zatanna, if Zee remains a member of the Justice League.

@sunman said:

@dernman: beggars can't be choosers. Since DC erased the Teen Titans Victor's basically lost all his enemies. Now he just has team enemies with the Justice League.

Cyborg probably lost the Phantom Limbs and Cyborg Revenge Squad as enemies. We saw Mr. Orr in the first arc of Justice League either issue #3 or #4, but I'm not sure he's become evil Post-Flashpoint.

I thought it would be cool if DC played up the Apokolips or New Genesis connection because he has alien tech in him and Apokolips Boom Tube energy along with an actual Boom Tube inside him

I still think that there is going to be a Cyborg vs Professor Ivo story arc similar to Throne of Atlantis. I know a lot of other people have dismissed this based on the fact that "Amazo is a Justice League villain, Cyborg defeating him by himself would be impossible" and all that other jazz.

Ignoring the fact that this is the new 52, which changes the history between the Justice League, Ivo & Amazo. Plus Cyborg wouldn't fight Amazo alone, it would be a self contained story arc (since Cy doesn't have a solo series) within the pages of the JL flagship title. Amazo would still be a villain to the entire Justice League, but Professor Ivo would also be an additive antagonist who has it out for Cyborg.

If DC doesn't do that or at least hint at latter, then I feel like that's a wasted opportunity.

#26 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@blkson: Comic Con is coming up, we will see...

#27 Posted by blkson (785 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@blkson: A lot of his steam has faded. I think he needs the Shazam treatment first, but I will support the character if DC treats him with respect.

#29 Posted by blkson (785 posts) - - Show Bio

@blkson: A lot of his steam has faded. I think he needs the Shazam treatment first, but I will support the character if DC treats him with respect.

Yea it won't be right away or probably never. But He will get a story arc where he is the main focus, which this character desperately needs.

#30 Edited by Captain13 (3327 posts) - - Show Bio

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=118908&d=1377701646

#31 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

lets wait and see if cyborg survives

#32 Posted by Captain13 (3327 posts) - - Show Bio

lets wait and see if cyborg survives

It's comics. He does.

#33 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@captain13: maybe he dies and comes back 20 years from now. how do you know? do you work for dc?

#34 Posted by Captain13 (3327 posts) - - Show Bio

@captain13: maybe he dies and comes back 20 years from now. how do you know? do you work for dc?

Do you really think they are going to kill the only Black founder they have after the John Stewart debacle--especially since they've been using him as a marketing tool for the last two years? Lol

#35 Edited by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@captain13: i dont care about some people's racial quota dc has to fill. but i will agree cyborg is a tool.

#36 Edited by Captain13 (3327 posts) - - Show Bio

@captain13: i dont care about some people's racial quota dc has to fill. but i will agree cyborg is a tool.

Not a quota. It just doesn't make sense to kill off characters from already under represented groups. Not good for business because you destroy variety that will appeal to diverse communities.

#37 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@captain13: the industry survived this long without appealing to diverse communities. i never got this need for diversity just for the sake of diversity. you cant look up to a super hero because he isnt your color? and he was in the movies only because he is part of the current version of the jl. on which he wont be for much longer because his 'powers' have just jumped ship. also if they wanted to push him, where is his solo book? everybody else has at least one.

#38 Edited by Captain13 (3327 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetimestreamer said:

@captain13: the industry survived this long without appealing to diverse communities. i never got this need for diversity just for the sake of diversity. you cant look up to a super hero because he isnt your color? and he was in the movies only because he is part of the current version of the jl. on which he wont be for much longer because his 'powers' have just jumped ship. also if they wanted to push him, where is his solo book? everybody else has at least one.

U.S. demographics today are different from what they were when the industry started. See Republican electoral base issues for illustration.

And you clearly don't understand the appeal of having a hero look like you. It makes escapism easier and the power fantasy more real.

If you don't think he will get his powers back or new powers, you don't get comics. And not every character pushed by the big 2 gets a solo book. See Thanos, Shazam, Star Lord, etc.

#39 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@captain13: why would thanos get his own book? shazam has justice league. and star lord has his own book. the guardians of the galaxy.

#40 Edited by Captain13 (3327 posts) - - Show Bio

@captain13: why would thanos get his own book? shazam has justice league. and star lord has his own book. the guardians of the galaxy.

Cyborg is in Justice League as much as Star Lord is in GoG.

#41 Posted by Black_Claw (2987 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anyone think that the Grid will stay on Earth Prime?

#42 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw: Maybe. Remnants of the Grid virus could possibly remain in Cyborg's armor.

#43 Posted by Black_Claw (2987 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Edited by MaccyD (4053 posts) - - Show Bio

@captain13: Thanos had a miniseries only recently... Plus he's a villain?

#45 Posted by ccraft (5259 posts) - - Show Bio

The Grid looks awesome, I haven't actually read the issue, so I hope he sticks around.

#46 Edited by Black_Claw (2987 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft: I doubt it since he's an AU version of Cyborg.

#47 Posted by Captain13 (3327 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw: The Grid is not from Earth 3, if that is what you are saying.

#48 Posted by ccraft (5259 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw: well I hope they don't destroy him, looks like he's causing some serious mayhem.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.