Follow

Cyborg

Character » Cyborg appears in 2943 issues.

Half man, half machine - all hero! After a near fatal incident, Victor Stone was cybernetically enhanced by his father. He now possesses the ability to communicate, manipulate, and interface with nearly all forms of technology. As he is constantly upgrading, he promises to defend the future from any threat. He is also a founding member of the Teen Titans and in some continuities, the Justice League.

George Pérez on Cyborg

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OutlawRenegade
    No Caption Provided

George Pérez, from Amazing Heroes #50

“Victor,” Pérez begins, “is probably the closest to my own history, because of the fact that he’s a ghetto youth. He had the disadvantage of being a smart kid in a dumb society. He ended up becoming a very warm person even though he’s very big, and very strong. He’s not afraid to be warm. He’s got a big heart.

“Since Marv was doing the majority of the plotting for the first year, and I was helping after the fact, he had more of an idea of what Victor would be. I was honing it up via body language and other character aspects, directing Marv into his interpretation. Marv always intended, from the very beginning, that those first issues where he came off as the stereotyped angry Black man was just the fact that he had a legitimate reason to be angry, which had nothing to do with being Black. Once he got rid of the reason-namely the resentment of his father over the death of his mother-he became a very warm individual. That was the first sequence that showed the warm side of the Titans, the death of [Silas] Stone, which led immediately into issue #8, ‘A Day in the Lives.’ We really were cooking by that point.”

Since then, the only anger Victor has shown has been borne from a point of insecurity, like the dilemma with Sarah Simms which culminated in issue #33. It would have been so easy to present the close White female friend of a Black male as the classic liberal fluff, and cop out on all sides. Wolfman and Pérez have avoided that, and have made the young instructor a very three-dimensional person, and her friendship with Victor a warm, straightforward, honest camaraderie.

“Also,” Pérez says, “we didn’t want to go into a valid criticism we heard about the usual Black-White relationship. Some use the cliche that, in order for a Black character to be legitimate, he must prove it by loving a White person. They could very well be lovers at any given time. But the fact is that they’re just very good friends. It’s not very often, and particularly the young fans don’t understand it, that we just have the concept of a man and a woman being very good friends without being lovers.

George Pérez, from Amazing Heroes #156

There are certain things we want so spin off from, such as his hold on humanity. There’s a possibility that with science progressing, his cyborg body will be modified. Who knows, Victor may look totally different in a couple of years. One thing STAR. may suggest so him is that they’d like to replace more of his human flesh wish robotic parts. Victor starts dealing with a problem that he’s never had so deal with before; not just she loss of his humanity, but the loss of his being Black! Because writers don’t want to deal with race, Black characters are sometimes not dealt with appropriately. But Victor is Black, there’s no getting around is. He wants so hold onto his Blackness; he’s proud of it, he was born with it, and he’s not going so run away from is.

Part of this also will explain why he lives in Hell’s Kitchen, in a predominately Black neighborhood, despite the fact he could afford to live someplace else. I want to establish that he’s like the “Shane” of his neighborhood. He’s the local hero here. I’m also establishing little things he does to hold onto his humanity, like wearing an eye patch sometimes over his cybernetic eye so that his human eye does not get weak because there’s a better eye he can rely on. He’s holding onto his humanity and his Blackness.

A lot of the edge that Marv and I felt Victor had has been missing from him lately, and we’ll go hack to honing down on what makes him unique and on the elements of his personality that were always from what I knew of the character rather than what Marv knew of him. Marv was never raised in that type of neighborhood, and I was. I understand his personality better. We’re using that so bring back the edge to Victor Stone.

No Caption Provided

Source: http://www.titanstower.com/cyborg/

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Stormbox

Is cyborg the new storm or something?

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By SUNMAN

@Stormbox said:

????? why cause there both black?

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Stormbox

@SUNMAN said:

@Stormbox said:

No, thats ridiculous

Because they both have an unusual amount of threads always made by the same group of people

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SUNMAN

@Stormbox said:

@SUNMAN said:

@Stormbox said:

No, thats ridiculous

Because they both have an unusual amount of threads always made by the same group of people

If you say so, I don't really think that comparison holds water myself. The Storm forum is much more active and has a much larger number of posts.

As for the number of threads they aren't that many given how popular the characters are. Cyborg has 47 threads in his forums created by 27 different posters. Whereas Storm has 52 threads created by about 19 different posters.

Storm seems to be this boards pet character at the moment. A Storm thread is always on the front page and her forum is always active. A Cyborg thread gets bumped or created once and a while. With his new role as a founding Justice League member in the new hit title and his rising popularity I think his boards in crease in activity is understandable. Still Cyborg doesn't really have the unusual amount of threads say Batman or WW or Spider-Man have.

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Stormbox

@SUNMAN: I think youre taking my comment a bit too seriously

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SUNMAN

@Stormbox: probably

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How the f--- do you hold onto your blackness?
    Robin: Holy Bleached skin Batman!
    Batman: Quick Robin! To the lazerous skin dye pit!

Am I getting that he lives in the ghetto, in part, to hold onto his blackness? WTF? That's not going to raise eyebrows. I'm assuming/hoping he just tacked onto the end of the paragraph as an afterthought so that Cyborg's reason for staying is solely to help out, like Nightwing living where he does.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.