Feelings on the Cyborg push?

#1 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (9739 posts) - - Show Bio

Since Flashpoint, we've seen Cyborg get a massive push to become one of the Big Leaguers rather than just a Titan sized Leaguer. What does everyone think of this? What are you opinions on him?

Personally, I don't prefer him being in the JLA and see him much more as a mid-leaguer still. Especially with his new origin as getting blown to shit by Darkseid's minions and suddenly stepping up with the big guys. Maybe he'll start off in the league and then they'll say he needs training and push him down to the titans or something and then J'onn can take his rightful place (since they said he was once part of the league in Stormwatch).

#2 Edited by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2201 posts) - - Show Bio

It sucks because Cyborg is continuing to be useless. J'onn is usually active in JL stories while Johns is doing very little with Cyborg.

#3 Posted by Veshark (8485 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I don't like it.

Call me myopic, but I still prefer the Big 7 for the Justice League. I get that it was probably done for diversity reasons, as well as Cyborg being a PoV character of sorts, but Martian Manhunter will always be part of the League to me, while Cyborg is a Titan. I feel like the original League is made up of the A-List of DC's heroes, the very best of the best, and Cyborg just doesn't fit that bill, imo.

Also, he kind of makes Batman seem redundant. Batman was always the one with the tech, the analyzing, and the research. If Wonder Woman was the strength and Supes was the heart, Bats was the brains of the League. Having Cyborg along just makes Batman being there even more pointless - and I feel Batman's been reduced to just a tactician. Plus, the two have their weird relationship where Cyborg seems to follow Bats' every order like a lapdog. I don't know.

Now all that being said...I can live with it. While it bugs me that MM is sidelined to the JLA, I have to admit that seeing him being more beast outside of the League is awesome. And Cyborg, like all characters, does still have the potential to shine under the right pen. While the new team dynamic irritates me a little, I'm not gonna be upset over it.

#4 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1236 posts) - - Show Bio

i would have been for it still if dc justified him and treated him as an equal. 2 years in and they still have not. plus he does throw off batman's role. i'd prefer john stewart on the team

#5 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (5550 posts) - - Show Bio

@outlawrenegade: 2 Green Lanterns on the team at the same time? Has that ever happened before?

#6 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1236 posts) - - Show Bio

yes. mcduffie's and meltzer's runs. but i would lose hal, so it is a non-issue

#7 Posted by SmashBrawler (4731 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like it at all. Cyborg used to be one of my favorite characters, now he's a bland and annoying character who's only in the Justice League for the sake of diversity.

#8 Posted by blkson (785 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with whats been said here, except the part about him taking Batman's role. Wonder Woman and Superman are pretty much the same and they fit fine together... But then I got to thinking, do you really need two tech savvy members? He's only as useful as DC writes him and at this moment, Cyborg is so damn useless. I'm on the Martian Manhunter bandwagon now. Bring back Manhunter and make a Cyborg, Nightwing, Starfire series or something. Putting him on the Teen Titans doesn't even make sense in this continuity and it would be ridiculously silly to me to just send him into comicbook limbo now.

#9 Posted by Black_Claw (2809 posts) - - Show Bio

I was excited at first but my interest in now dwindling because it seems DC just put him on there just so that they could say that they are diverse. Doesn't help that Cyborg hasn't done jack shit other than being the league's living transportation vehicle. At this point I think Cyborg should've remained a Titan, and if DC really wanted a black person on the league that badly they should've gone with Vixen.

A black person AND a woman. Two birds with one stone.

#10 Posted by Z3RO180 (5942 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem with the cyborg push is like most people pointed out is that Johns is doing less than nouthing with the character. I actually like the fact that he is one of the founding members but it bothers me that they aren't doing anything with him.

#11 Edited by Black_Claw (2809 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180:

Exactly! And at a recent panel, when somebody asked if Cyborg was gonna get an ongoing in the near future one of the people at DC replied "Would you like to see that?". Are you freaking kidding me?

#12 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2050 posts) - - Show Bio

Affirmative Action?

#13 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2201 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw: The reaction from the audience wasn't that great either

#14 Posted by Black_Claw (2809 posts) - - Show Bio

@martianmanhunterisbetterthancy: I can imagine. Now it's clear to me that Cyborg is meant to be nothing more than the Token black guy of the team. Just pisses me off that they wasted so much potential on this character only to just have him there so that people wouldn't call DC racist. Ugh.

#15 Posted by JohnnyGat (1561 posts) - - Show Bio

What push?

ba dum tss.....

#16 Posted by BlackWind (3978 posts) - - Show Bio

@johnnygat: Basically this. Cyborg is a glorified computer and team bus right now.

#17 Posted by ShadowX (1083 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it. But i dont like they arent doing anything with him.

#18 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1236 posts) - - Show Bio

What push?

ba dum tss.....

touche, good sir

#19 Edited by Degalon (737 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like it at all. Cyborg used to be one of my favorite characters, now he's a bland and annoying character who's only in the Justice League for the sake of diversity.

This too. Cyborg is just kind of the Zoidberg of the Justice League now. "Legendary Heroes!......and Cyborg!"

I was excited at first but my interest in now dwindling because it seems DC just put him on there just so that they could say that they are diverse. Doesn't help that Cyborg hasn't done jack shit other than being the league's living transportation vehicle. At this point I think Cyborg should've remained a Titan, and if DC really wanted a black person on the league that badly they should've gone with Vixen.

A black person AND a woman. Two birds with one stone.

And Vixen wouldn't have been stepping on anyone else's toes. And then you'd still have a team Shapeshifter (Of sorts) to replace the Martian instead of now having no shapeshifter, but two tech guys (Batman and Cyborg)

#20 Posted by Black_Claw (2809 posts) - - Show Bio

@degalon: Yeah, having Cyborg on the league really makes Batman look rather redundant. But even if Cyborg wasn't on the league Batman would still be useless due to the fact that Geoff Johns hates the guy, lol.

Seriously though, if DC isn't gonna bother doing anything interesting with Vic I say it's high time they take him off of the league.

#21 Posted by Degalon (737 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_claw:

Exactly. I'd rather him going back to being the tech guy of the Titans, rather than just the "Token Black Guy" of the League.

#22 Posted by mrkareemruiz (39 posts) - - Show Bio

CYBORG IS BADASS

#23 Edited by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2951 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say that it'd be better to have manhunter in Cyborg's place and Stewart replacing Jordan, but it's fairly clear that the current pack of idiots running DC has a hard on for the Silver Age characters.

Only with none of the fun of the silver age.

#25 Edited by Black_Claw (2809 posts) - - Show Bio

@guardian_of_gravity: That's what I've been saying for the longest! But if DC is so adamant about keeping Hal as a founding member and having MM replaced by a black person they should've gone with Vixen. She has a unique power set compared to the rest of her team mates and on top of that, her connection to the animal kingdom gives her a large mythology worth exploring.

#26 Edited by Captain13 (3014 posts) - - Show Bio

@guardian_of_gravity said:

I'd say that it'd be better to have manhunter in Cyborg's place and Stewart replacing Jordan, but it's fairly clear that the current pack of idiots running DC has a hard on for the Silver Age characters.

Agreed. Check this out: http://greenlantern.co/john-stewart-for-new-justice-league-and-green-lantern-movies-and-commentary-on-the-green-lantern-fanbase/

Most people actually prefer John.

That said, hopefully whatever happened at the end of Trinity War will make Cyborg a better character.

#27 Posted by Black_Claw (2809 posts) - - Show Bio

@captain13: And maybe he'll finally get his own book. But I'm not holding my breath.

#28 Edited by StrangeMan (394 posts) - - Show Bio

What push? You mean him standing in the background while the other bigger heroes get all the spotlight?

I don't know about you, but I think that the reboot has actually damaged Cy way more than it has helped him.

#29 Posted by Black_Claw (2809 posts) - - Show Bio

@strangeman: Don't forget doing nothing but teleport the league around.

But as Captain13 said, hopefully he'll be written better after what happened in trinity war.

#30 Posted by RustyRoy (9181 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed, I want Kyle back in the JL but I think John should be in the JL team for diversity. And MM definitely needs to be back in the team, heis heart of the league.

#31 Posted by Black_Claw (2809 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@guardian_of_gravity said:

Agreed, I want Kyle back in the JL but I think John should be in the JL team for diversity. And MM definitely needs to be back in the team, heis heart of the league.

MM might join when you look how Trinity War ended. Kyle is cool but IMO I think having a White Lantern on the team would be kind of overkill. That's just me though.

#32 Posted by RustyRoy (9181 posts) - - Show Bio

MM might join when you look how Trinity War ended. Kyle is cool but IMO I think having a White Lantern on the team would be kind of overkill. That's just me though.

I know, I meant Kyle as a GL not a WT. But since there's no indication that he'll be back as a GL anytime soon I'll prefer John over Hal, and I haven't read TW but if MM joins JL then I'd be the happiest person on CV.

#33 Edited by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2201 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrkareemruiz: CYBORG IS ASS

fixed

You made my day. I lol'd so hard.

If they had a full on hard on for the Silver Age, wouldn't Martian Mnahunter be back with the League? Wouldn't Ray Palmer be back as the Atom?

@guardian_of_gravity: That's what I've been saying for the longest! But if DC is so adamant about keeping Hal as a founding member and having MM replaced by a black person they should've gone with Vixen. She has a unique power set compared to the rest of her team mates and on top of that, her connection to the animal kingdom gives her a large mythology worth exploring.

Its because he sells. Like a lot. Second highest title after Batman.

#34 Posted by Captain13 (3014 posts) - - Show Bio

Really? Do you even follow the sales charts Diamond Distributors releases?

#35 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2201 posts) - - Show Bio

@martianmanhunterisbetterthancy said:

Really? Do you even follow the sales charts Diamond Distributors releases?

Well maybe he used to. Pre-new 52.

#36 Posted by Captain13 (3014 posts) - - Show Bio

@martianmanhunterisbetterthancy: He was in the top 10 post-New 52 a couple of times. While the book is still critically in good graces, it lost readers from the Geoff Johns departure. Geoff Johns is arguably the reason GL ever broke top ten--not Hal. Geoff did the same thing with Aquaman and JSA.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.