Follow

Cyborg

Character » Cyborg appears in 2940 issues.

Half man, half machine - all hero! After a near fatal incident, Victor Stone was cybernetically enhanced by his father. He now possesses the ability to communicate, manipulate, and interface with nearly all forms of technology. As he is constantly upgrading, he promises to defend the future from any threat. He is also a founding member of the Teen Titans and in some continuities, the Justice League.

DC's Cyborg......lost potential?

Ironshinobi88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Recently, DC has relegated him to the team bus, yet there seems to be so much lost power and story potential with him.

Anyone else agree his skillset and powers, could be put to more "creative" use?

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Not really.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

If he wasn't plonked on the League as an out of place founder and instead stayed with the Titans as he should be in, there wouldn't be this problem.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

Lol, he's been the team bus since the early issues of Justice League. At first I was a strong supporter of this character but its obvious DC is probably not gonna do anything interesting with this character anytime soon (although the climax of Trinity War has raised my hopes).

Plus there were plenty of other African American characters they could've used instead of Cyborg like Vixen, Icon, or John Stewart (though the latter being used would be all but impossible since Johns is calling the shots).

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, just because Cyborg is on the Justice League doesn't make him less interesting, imo it makes him more interesting. I didn't really care for Cyborg before.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, he should have an ongoing

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ccraft

@grenadeflow: Yeah an ongoing would be cool, it shouldn't spend so much time up in the satellite.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

@ccraft: So he is interesting just because he is on the League?

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Yes it does, I'm not gonna say he's not interesting just because he's not on the Teen Titans. Cyborg has had his moments on on the JL

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@ccraft: Hmm gonna disagree with you there, as far as I can see Cyborg hasn't done anything that validates his membership. Plus Johns hasn't gotten around to do anything with him, yet.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lets see...

1. He transports the JL to wherever
    2. Cyborg sent Darkseid back to Apokolips
    3. Pretty sure he helps JL find Cheetah
    4. saved Dr. Shin from Atlantean assassins
    5. he removes his remaining lung to save the JL
    6. Cyborg uses the Grid to call in renforcements against the Atlanteans
    7. Cyborg uses the Grid to contact other superheroes to for a meeting.

Cyborg wondering if he's in control or the robot part is, is pretty cool and sad at the same time.

Don't see why he doesn't deserve to be in the JL, can you name reasons why he shouldn't?

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Captain13

@ironshinobi88 said:

Recently, DC has relegated him to the team bus, yet there seems to be so much lost power and story potential with him.

Yes. He has a lot of potential that can be utilized but DC only cares about him as a token. They are lazy and don't appreciate what they have. They don't really devote any time to him even though he is the only founder with no history or solo title or friends or anything.

Powers

Comic heroes are respected for both their heroism and their combat skills. Why does Cyborg have no combat feats in two years then--especially when he was a powerhouse before? He has no archvillain either when all of his team mates do.

He should be using his powers offensively and creatively. He could remotely access the watchtower from space and launch projectiles down to Earth. He could track criminals with their cell signals and teleport down to rescue hostages and beat up those criminals. He should be able to fire his cannon into his boom tube portals to hit his enemies from more creative angles. He should be teleporting around and sneaking up on people. He should be crushing tanks with fists and super leaps.

But instead, all he does is scan things and look things up for Batman when he's not acting as the team bus. ****ing lame. How is anyone supposed to be a fan of that? Even Batman, the guy with no powers, gets into fistfights with superheroes and wins.

Personality

Cyborg is a generic character with generic cyborg problems and a generic name. There's no way to get around those facts. Everything that has been done with Cyborg has been done with other characters a million times, but what seprates Cyborg from the rest of the pack is his big, funny, goofy, cool personality that mixes leadership, jock, and nerd characteristics. But for some reason, Geoff Johns writes him like a wet blanket or like a piece of cardboard if he writes him at all. LAME. LAME. LAME.

Mythology

Cyborg has no history anymore, but he has potential for a great mythology like Green Lantern's or Flash's. I mean, whatever happened to the Technis? Whatever happened to his mom and that inter-dimensional accident. Compelling post human and futurist themes could easily be mixed into those things to create a profitable IP, but DC only cares about having a black guy on Justice League so they won't be called racist. Worst of all, the took away all necessary wish fulfilment from the character.

At every turn, Cyborg's "promotion" has been a hip. He's far worse off than he was before. If DC really needed a black guy, they should have used the fa favorite John Stewart who's solo title is selling incredibly well, who has real character, and who is already highly associated with the Justice League.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

There are a lot of threads in this forum with similar complaints. When will DC learn?

How can they expect fans to support the character when they don't? They don't have any passion for him or else they would have done something for him.

Avatar image for turel_hash_ak_gik
    turel_hash_ak_gik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

cant expect greatness where there is none. just because you're the jl doesnt mean you're suddenly interesting.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cant expect greatness where there is none. just because you're the jl doesnt mean you're suddenly interesting.

That's exactly why Geoff Johns needed to write him better.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyborg would be much better at marvel

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Personally, and I know this wont be a popular opinion, but I would have rather seen Cyborg altered a bit. Mainly the costume. I would have rather seen him stay in street clothes. The varsity jacket and jeans look. Still be a Cyborg but rock some normal attire. Six Million Dollar Man style. Play up his athletic prowess. As is he's kinda like a metal Mr. Terrific. Which isnt bad just not my style. Although I thought his most interesting portrayal was in the Flashpoint movie. That Cyborg was the sh!t.

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
    HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HeraldofGanthet

@ironshinobi88:

No, because his place on the Titans is where he shined the best.

@lvenger: If he wasn't plonked on the League as an out of place founder and instead stayed with the Titans as he should be in, there wouldn't be this problem.

Agreed, and spoken as eloquently as always.

@black_claw: Plus there were plenty of other African American characters they could've used instead of Cyborg like Vixen, Icon, or John Stewart (though the latter being used would be all but impossible since Johns is calling the shots).

Not to mention Pre-Flashpoint former team member Dr. John H. Irons, a.k.a. Steel. He should've been in the New 52 JLA if not as a founder, then an "as soon as his origin story fleshes out" new addition to the team. The fact that DC didn't do this sickens me. Not because I dislike Cyborg (because I don't), it's just that Steel ACTUALLY has tenure on the JLA, so why not add him to the team Post-Flashpoint?! *smh*

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

How cool is that? I didn't know you were from the UK. Awesome.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lvenger

@heraldofganthet: Heh indeed I am. I do use words on here people don't know what they mean but for me, they're normal British terms.

HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

It's all good, mon ami. I watched lots of classic BBC as a kid. Took me a while to catch on to what Mr. Peacock and the crew on "Are You Being Served" were talking about, but when I did, it was hilarious!!! Awesome. You learn something new everyday!;)

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Black_Claw

@kgb725: let's save time and say every minority character at DC would be better off at Marvel.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.