Follow

Cyborg

Character » Cyborg appears in 2943 issues.

Half man, half machine - all hero! After a near fatal incident, Victor Stone was cybernetically enhanced by his father. He now possesses the ability to communicate, manipulate, and interface with nearly all forms of technology. As he is constantly upgrading, he promises to defend the future from any threat. He is also a founding member of the Teen Titans and in some continuities, the Justice League.

Cyborg's potential in the DCU

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Adnan
    No Caption Provided

So, Cyborg is in the Justice League now. Lots of people know him from the Teen Titans animated series, though not enough people care about him for a redesign/repositioning for him to cause any real fanrage. I'd like to discuss some of his potential, not only as a JL member, but as a standalone character as well.

Powerset:

Is it just me, or does he look a lot cooler in Justice League: Doom than he does in the DCnU?
    Is it just me, or does he look a lot cooler in Justice League: Doom than he does in the DCnU?

He is most well-known for his iconic Mega Buster Sonic Cannon, though he has other abilities too. Lasers, grappling hooks, shockers, a bunch of techie weapons. In some appearances he can even detach his arm, and control it's actions from a distance. He seems to be a decent enough H2H fighter too, as shown here, here, and here, where he beats down both Ravager and Kid Devil with relative ease. Lots of people are saying he'll just be the tech/computer guy, yet I feel like DC is trying to portray him as a 'frontline fighter', as seen in Justice League Dark #1, where he appeared alongside Superman and Wonder Woman to fight off an unidentified threat. Anyone who has seen the JL covers will know that he looks like a freaking tank at the moment, at the very least he looks like some who could take a hit and give one back. No doubt he will be a techie character though, atleast to some extent. I'm sure there'll be tons of hacking sub-plots and the like that Cyborg will be utilised in. People are saying he'll be JL's Iron Man, which makes sense I suppose. In my opinion, he shouldn't be portrayed as someone with gadgets, but someone with near full-on cyberpathy, something which I think hasn't really been seen in the JL before. One possible danger with this is that writers might simply use him as a high-tech swiss army knife, inventing whatever ability would be useful in the current scenario as an 'easy way out'.

Role as a Justice League member:

The dialogue is a little strange, but this appearance is still worth noting
    The dialogue is a little strange, but this appearance is still worth noting

Some people are saying that Batman is a sufficient enough techguy for the JL, and Cyborg can't really bring much to the team. There is a bit of role-clashing there, though I think this'd be a great chance for Batman to become a more focused detective archtype - this very aspect seems to be what many of his fans seem to love the most about him. They could both fill the roles of the tech expert when needed, though I feel Cyborg will be taking on a lot of it for now. Also, I'm biased here, in that I'd like it if Batman wasn't everywhere all the time, as he seems to be these days. I've already stated how I think Cyborg could ending up alongside the likes of Supes and WW, and I think Cyborg could fill a unique niche as someone who could manipulate/take advantage of technology found out on the battlefield. There are a lot of possibilities with that, enough to defend his spot on the JL at the very least.

Strength as a standalone character:

Cyborgirl is perhaps one villain...that is better left forgotten
    Cyborgirl is perhaps one villain...that is better left forgotten

Understandably, he doesn't have an ongoing of his own, though I'm surprised he doesn't have a mini yet. He's had a fair number of appearances in comics, though a lot seem to be just background roles. One potentially interesting plot element is...his face. He pretty much can't have a secret/cover-up identity like the other JL members can, can he? I mean, put Aquaman and WW in some normal clothing and you wouldn't even know they are heroes. Martian Manhunter had shape-shifting abilities too. So does that mean he is publicly 'on duty' 24/7? It's a notable distinction from everyone else, at the very least. He doesn't have much of supporting cast, outside of Element Woman, who was confirmed to be appearing in JL eventually. She seems like a fun character in her own right, hopefully they'll retain some semblance of the interactions they had in Flashpoint. Regarding his rogue gallery...well, outside Teen Titan enemies, I found two groups, the Phantom Limbs and the Cyborg Revenge Squad, though they seem quite boring. If they want to capitalize on the fans of the animated series, they should bring in some of the villains from that (perhaps this'd be a good time to bring back Brain, Monsieur Mallah, and the rest of the old Legion of Doom?) In the DCnU he is based in Detroit, the only notable DC character I can think of that's currently there too is Firestorm (I think), so they could easily think up a bunch of new villains for him, if they wanted to.

I think that if DC wants fans to accept Cyborg as a convincing and deserving member of the JL, he'll need some work put into him first. He is a well-known character with enough potential for some fun stories, so seeing how he turns out in the DCnU will definitely be interesting.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Kairan1979

I'll say it's about time to give Cyborg an important tole in JL.

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Adnan

@Kairan1979 said:

Yeah, they'd have to justify him being such an important character eventually.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Kairan1979 said:

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By moywar700

fuck yea cyborg

ithinkitwasyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By ithinkitwasyou

@Kairan1979 said:

I second this.

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Adnan

Nice to know others agree with me :)

To be honest, I think he'll get a mini eventually (maybe after the first JL story arc, when we see how it's founded and all that), but I'm really curious as to what direction they'll go with him. Considering how big of a character he is now, they can't really afford to mess him up.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By BatteredArmor

Hope he gets an ongoing series soon

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Adnan

@BlackArmor:It's possible if he gets enough of a following through JL. Also, I doubtthey're going to set-up all the JL supporting cast (Element Woman, Mera, Lady Luck, etc) through JL itself, we'll probably see that through other titles. If Element Woman still has/develops some sorta relationship with Cyborg, then that couldbedone through a mini...which could gauge the audience for a potential market for a Cyborg ongoing. I don't think they should rush this though, it'd be too easy to screw up.

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By TheOptimist

@BlackArmor: Heartily seconded.

@Adnan: I do agree that they should take their time with it... in order to really cement him as significant, they need a really firm team and a distinct initial story to get things rolling. This reasoning was maybe the only reason why I wasn't upset he wasn't in the first wave of the new 52... hopefully they have someone stellar lined up who can really sell Cyborg as Grade A.

I think particularly pertinent right now is his potential connection to Detroit, which symbolically is probably a central troubled point in America, in terms of viability and security of all sorts. I admit to having a bit of hope and dream pinned on the resurgence of that city... Cyborg could represent that same potential in the modern superhero comic.

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Adnan

@TheOptimist:I hadn't thought of his possible connection to Detroit in that sense, but it sounds interesting. It seems like the setting has potential to feel different to Metropolis, New York, and Gotham...and giving Detroit a modern hero that everyone is already somewhat familar with would be good too.

CODYSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CODYSF

He is real good character is cool that people want to see what he could do/

Sinestro2828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Sinestro2828

I think its cool that Cyborg's a member of the Justice League now, and a major player to boot, BUT, I think it stinks that he replaced the Martian Manhunter as one of the League's 7 founders AND that his adventures with the Teen Titans NEVER happened. Cyborg's times with the titans were some of his biggest adventures and are the adventures he is best known for, it really annoys me that his entire history has been rewritten and that he likely has no memory of Starfire or Beastboy or any of them...I don't object to the idea of him being a heavy hitter in the JLA, I just HATE that his status as a veteran Titan has been undone, it was key to his whole character! >_<

Ryder_Jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ryder_Jones

cyborg rocks
    @Sinestro2828
    Don't be so sure I think wally and the other first titans still exist and he may have been a member when he was powerless

The Finality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The Finality

As much as it sucks to see J'Onn go, I like the idea of Cyborg there from the start. I think DC knows how popular characters like Iron Man are, the whole updated DCnu is supposed to appeal to people of this generation. What better than a tech savy guy for a tech savy world. And having a black original character up there with the Big Seven is great. As much as I like characters like John Stewart, they're still black versions of another white character :P It's good to see Cyborg getting that push :)

Steps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Steps

@Ryder_Jones said:

cyborg rocks
    @Sinestro2828: Don't be so sure I think wally and the other first titans still exist and he may have been a member when he was powerless

Doesn't make sense. Why would he be a member of a superhero group when he is powerless. Plus considering that at the start of the JLA he's just another teen who wants to be a star, nothing about how he acted in the JLA books showed any indication of any heroics in the time before he became Cyborg.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.