gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

The first thing you'll notice when you open this comic is the art and colors. It will immediately catch you off guard and knock you on your figurative butt. I've been a fan of Marcus To's art for some time but this is something else. You'll want to check out each panel as you're reading along. Ian Herring's colors add to the art, bringing a reading experience different from the rest of this week's titles.

Some readers might be familiar with the concept of Cyborg 009. When this project was first announced, I avoided reading what it was about. Knowing Marcus To was involved was enough to sell me on it and I wanted to be surprised when I read it. It was afterwards I realized this was based on a manga and anime (which didn't air in the area I grew up). There is a manga feel to it but To's art has always had that slight style from time to time.

As an introduction, we get a great look at who Cyborg 009 is. There is an element of mystery that will drive the story. The action, suspense and twists will get you hooked and make you scream at Archaia for making us wait until this summer to read the full story.

The Bad

You have to take into consideration that this is only a preview. It's not as stunted as other ones I've seen in the past. It is a bit of a tease. We get a good idea who our main cast of characters but it's not quite enough to get a full idea what the full story will be like. We know where the characters will go by the end of the preview but it's unknown how it will all play out. We can expect big action but what the tone of the story will be is unknown - will it be violent, will it be a love story, etc?

We also are not able to get a full look at all of the characters. Again, something we'll have to wait for. (Note: There is a write up about Cyborg 009 at the end and interview).

The Verdict

Check your pockets. Chances are you might be able to find a dollar there. Or maybe you have a dollar you can spare or borrow. If you do, you definitely should check out this preview of the upcoming graphic novel by FJ DeSanto, Bradley Cramp and Marcus To. To's art with Ian Herring's colors will blow you away. The preview succeeds in giving you enough of a tease to make you demand more. You can feel the combination of the original manga and the Western style of comics. Comic readers can sometimes get a little cynical with today's comics. This is a great taste of a comic to alleviate any concerns with today's market. It's a great introduction to the characters and you'll absolutely want this book on your radar.

ShockTrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Can't wait for the hardcover to come out.

Avatar image for deactivated-6212d9bb8a06e
    deactivated-6212d9bb8a06e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello, must-buy (for me).

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By EnSabahNurX

O_O I had no idea this was coming out *adds to pull list* I never read the manga but I loved the cartoon and it's cheap XD I say that's an instant buy

I'll need to save up to buy anything else related to this.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

I just watched the first 19 episodes of the 2001 anime, and I am really pumped for this! This has always been one of my favorite manga series (the #1 spot belongs to Knights of the Zodiac).

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is a throwback i remember the show omg omg omg

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.