Follow

Curse of the Mutants

Story arc »

The Heroic Age reaches the X-Men in the first storyline of the new X-Men series. Vampires from around the globe descend on San Francisco, seeking to add the mutant race to their ranks.

Review: Curse of the Mutants: X-Men vs. Vampires #1

Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    This anthology features four stories of the X-Men's individual encounters with Dracula's vampires throughout the streets of San Francisco.

The Good

Peter David's subtle spoof of the "love never dies" plot typical to vampire stories was greatly entertaining; doubly-so if you're familiar with the tropes and cliches of this genre. I loved the look on the suave fangster's face when he realized that the soul of his long-lost love wasn't in Rogue's beautiful body, but Ernst's shriveled form. Magneto's wrenching reunion with a boyhood friend was a powerful reminder of the character's history - - although I would've liked a punchier button line it.

The Bad

Three out of the four stories in this anthology start off with an X-heroine interrupting an attempted vampire assault/seduction in an alley, so there's a bit of redundancy. I also feel like the first two stories could've been combined or, at least, had just a little more complication.

The Verdict - 3/5

If you aren't getting enough "mutants vs. vampire" action to whet your thirst, this anthology will give you some interesting angles on this current curse storyline. It isn't as strong as other anthologies that've been coming out, but there are some good shorts - - the Rogue and Magneto ones being the stand-outs. An added bonus is a back-up reprinting some early Bill Sienkiewicz art. As a fan of his work, it was really strange to see what his art looked like before he got experimental.
    Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Jordanstine

Wolfsbane should be in this... I want to see what happens when she gets bitten by a Vampire. 

After that happens, I want her to bite Blade.
    Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2  Edited By Illyana Rasputin
    @Jordanstine said:
    " Wolfsbane should be in this... I want to see what happens when she gets bitten by a Vampire.  After that happens, I want her to bite Blade. "
    LOL!
    Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3  Edited By Illyana Rasputin
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By doordoor123

didnt pick this up because its pretty much a filler
    Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Grendel

This Vampires storyline can't end soon enough.

Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Sobe Cin

@doordoor123:
    Its worth it for the Peter David story with Rogue.  

The Husk story is pretty good, and I was bit disappointed with the Dazzler story, it seemed very twilightish. Magneto's arc was decent enough, but it sort of dragged.

Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Rheged

I liked the Magneto story best.  I really enjoyed the art for it by Braithwaite.  I agree about the ending.

oldgum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By oldgum

The cover reminded me of bloodstorm

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.