Elektra Will Join The X-Men As Well

• 55 results
Posted by G-Man (29393 posts) - - Show Bio

You've all been waiting for it, here's the next wacky X-Men announcement. Okay, maybe not wacky but definitely different. Today we're seeing Elektra the assassin along with Gambit proclaiming that they are X-Men. I don't have a major problem with her being on the team but it's a little harder to make the argument for her place as it was with the others. 

With Spider-Man, we can bend the Marvel definition of mutant and say that he's been mutated since the spider bite. Savage She-Hulk is a genetic mutation of sorts given she's from the future and a mix of Thundra and Hulk's DNA. You can even argue for Blade since he's not a normal vampire and can be considered a mutant, at least within the community of Vampires. But Elektra?

How can we justify Elektra? She has died, a couple times (at least). That could put her in the Jean Grey category perhaps. Maybe that would be her latent mutant ability, getting killed and coming back to life. She is good friends with Wolverine so I can understand why she might hang around the team if she doesn't have any other place to be. 

The question is, how long will these characters remain X-Men? Are they all planning on moving to Utopia? Will Elektra and Psylocke accidentally get their costumes mixed up in the laundry (since they're basically the same)? We shall have to wait and see.

Who's going to be next?
Staff
#1 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome!

#2 Posted by the_orange_crush (79 posts) - - Show Bio

This new X-Men team certainly has quite an interesting make-up. Blade, Elektra, and Spider-Man? Plus more surprises...I might start picking up the book again once this new team hits the books.

And funny comment on the Elektra/Psylocke costume switch G-Man, ha!

#3 Posted by sora_thekey (8105 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL at the costume confusion between Psylocke and Elektra.... 

What I found intresting about this is what Marvel.com posted under Elektra: 
X-Men Editor Nick Lowe wrote this: 

"The scariest person in the Marvel Universe already has ties to Wolverine. Does Warren Worthington III have enough cash to hire Elektra to solve the X-Men's worst problems?"

Is Warren paying the new members of the team?  
Maybe the new members aren't there because they are mutants some way or another... maybe they are working for the X-Men... 

#4 Posted by G-Man (29393 posts) - - Show Bio

Staff
#5 Posted by Slither. (78 posts) - - Show Bio

Who are the actual X-Men left on the team still? Just Gambit?

#6 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio

What in the F*ck is going on?!

#7 Posted by the_fallen11 (636 posts) - - Show Bio

What is happening?! WHERE AM I?!?!?!?

#8 Posted by weaponx (1562 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say this is just a temporary thing, through a little new unexpected but well known characters into the mix for awhile for some interesting changes and character and plot interaction. I would say most if not all will only be temporary members. I think it will be a fun... as long as it doesn't stay this way. It seems a little too much all at once for this to be a permanent thing, and you have already pointed out the 'mutant' issues.  

P.S. Psylocke is .... better ;). 

#9 Posted by kerukun878 (373 posts) - - Show Bio
@Slither.: So far we've seen Psylocke, Magneto, Hope, and Gambit...
#10 Posted by MichaeltheFly (6555 posts) - - Show Bio

Like I said I think this is a gimmick.

#11 Posted by Secret Identity (223 posts) - - Show Bio

What the hell is going on with Marvel these days? every time they announce something it seems even more retarded than the last. I was really looking forward the the Heroic Age. The more i hear about it the more i want to steer well clear. Sorry marvel but you arn't bringing me back.

#12 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, this is just "uncanny" now. haha
#13 Posted by Joe Venom (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

The best team up by far (if these are even team ups)

#14 Posted by Slither. (78 posts) - - Show Bio
@kerukun878: Magneto? Hope? Those are barely X-Men in my book. Why not just call it Avengers version 12?
#15 Posted by sora_thekey (8105 posts) - - Show Bio

Anybody else notice the difference with this promo rather than the rest? 

In the other 3 Blade, Hope, Psylocke, Spider-Man, She-Hulk and Maegneto are posing as if going into battle...  
On this one it looks as if Gambit and Elektra are battling... 

You know how when the Avengers joined together Hulk was a member but turned the tables by going all... well Hulk? 
Could the first battle of this new team be against the world's deadliest assasin?
#16 Posted by kerukun878 (373 posts) - - Show Bio
@Slither.: Well Mags needs to go evil again. But Hope.. She's an X-woman through and through.
#17 Posted by Sarpio__ (122 posts) - - Show Bio

APRIL FOOLS! :D 

#18 Posted by kerukun878 (373 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey: But she looks like she's smiling.
#19 Posted by Slither. (78 posts) - - Show Bio
@kerukun878: Yes Magento does. He's one of the best villains Marvel created it's a shame to waste him. I don't know all the much about Hope but why can't they use the X-Men that are already around?
#20 Posted by sora_thekey (8105 posts) - - Show Bio
@kerukun878: and Gambit isn't.... Assasins are allowed to enjoy their jobs... aren't they?
#21 Posted by kerukun878 (373 posts) - - Show Bio
@Slither.: Because there will always be new characters in the mix. And it's pretty damn obvious that Hope is Jean, especially after that We Are the X-men teaser.
#22 Posted by kerukun878 (373 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey: Point noted, but the first thing I noticed was her smile. :S
#23 Posted by Slither. (78 posts) - - Show Bio
@kerukun878: I picked up on the Hope being Jean when she was a baby in X-Force. It's probably the reason I don't like her. I understand about new characters but there are plenty of good X-Men characters that they could use instead.
#24 Posted by Adam Michaels (435 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know what to make of any of this. There has to be a reason why we're seeing Savage She-Hulk, Spider-Man, Blade, and Elektra as part of the X-Men. I'm sure more shocking members will step forth. I'm intrigued only to know why they're being announced as X-Men. What's the story behind this? And I'm sure that's what Marvel wants us asking ourselves.  

Blade and Elektra, I can understand if Marvel's looking to get more light shone on these lesser known characters. Some of them wouldn't survive on their own, so putting them in a team could benefit these superheroes. But that's where I don't get where Spider-Man comes from. He definitely doesn't need the publicity. If there is only one Marvel character who doesn't need anyone else to be popular among the readers, it's Spidey. I ask myself the same question with his involvement with the New Avengers. His spot could have been given to a character who can use the boost.

#25 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
"
"
So that theory was right
#26 Posted by the_orange_crush (79 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey: Very interesting on Warren paying Elektra....
#27 Posted by kerukun878 (373 posts) - - Show Bio
@Slither.: I, personally, love Jean Grey. And a reboot to the character is needed. And I, personally, think that the hardships Hope has and will be facing put just that tiny little hint of personality difference that Jean needed to make her well.. Perfect. You can't really consider Hope a new character for just that reason; the fact of the matter is they just need to bring Xavier back, rebuild the mansion, and have Mags reform the Brotherhood.
#28 Posted by sora_thekey (8105 posts) - - Show Bio
@the_orange_crush said:
" @sora_thekey: Very interesting on Warren paying Elektra...."

Yeah... I mean other than Elektra... what I'm thinking is that Spider-Man is out of a job! 
Is he also being paid for his service to mutant-kind?
#29 Posted by kerukun878 (373 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey: That is likely! Even though I doubt Spidey'd have to be payed to work with the X-men; Bobby is one of his best friends!
#30 Posted by jaymastergwapo (28 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe somethings gonna happen in Second Coming and some of them will gain mutant powers?

#31 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

This is just getting dumb now.
#32 Posted by spacemonkeymafia (22 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man:
right down to the same bra size. IF they wore 'em.
#33 Posted by Green Skin (2932 posts) - - Show Bio

Starting to think this is an April fools.

#34 Posted by Infamousjoeblack (7 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know if this has been addressed yet but I always found it interesting that Xavier would only have mutants on his X-Men. I mean wasn't his dream to bridge the gap of mutants and humans. So wouldn't a team of non mutants and mutants working together further his goal? I know Xavier isn't really in the picture anymore and mutants are close to being extinct but it seems like a logical step to me to start having non mutants on the team. I mean look at the Avengers. They don't discriminate and being a mutant on their team only seems to help their public image. I'm not sure about Spider-Man, Savage She-Hulk, Blade, and Elektra though. Seems like an odd fit. But I'm looking forward to it anyways

#35 Posted by NXH (1031 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man:
no originality there lol
#36 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio

Elektra did hang around Wolverine a LOT after he'd had his Adamantium ripped out.  So there is at least a small connection to the X-Men... but it does seem pointless to have a non-mutant Psylocke around, when they already have Psylocke.

#37 Posted by strangeling (180 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really know what to expect event-wise, but these teasers really turn me off of the whole thing.  Why? 
First we had the original X-Men. 

Then came Giant-Size X-Men. 

Then came X-Men ( Jim Lee ). 
So these teasers are showing the characters bursting through the cover(s) of the last really big landmark event.  ( I can't think how to phrase that better.  I'm talking publishing-wise, not story-wise.  If that helps explain any better. ) 
I interpret that as Marvel telling us this new thing is the new thing.  That just comes off as arrogant to me, and seems way over hyped.
#38 Posted by darkxman123 (198 posts) - - Show Bio

electra wtf she aint no mutant 

#39 Posted by daveydavey (359 posts) - - Show Bio

This just keeps getting better.

#40 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

lol these are all jokes right?

#41 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2771 posts) - - Show Bio

Elektra? Um, okay?

#42 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok. Now i'm confused.
Elektra's doesn't even have any powers and shes pretty much an assasin for hire. Not good publicity for the X-people. 
Good to see Gambit though.

#43 Posted by MagnetoWasRight (26 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll repeat what I said with Blade:  

These people aren't going to be literal "X-Men".  
Well, the mutants probably will. 
But everyone else. 

Something tells me this is dealing with a brand new idea as to what an "X-Man" is. 
They've shut themselves off completely from society, and they're obviously going to be working with the entire Marvel Universe to really become part of a community, again, rather than separate from.    

#44 Posted by Owen_Porter (83152 posts) - - Show Bio

Bad-ass!! Gambit and Elektra.....maybe now he can ditch that southern tart Rogue and move on ;)

#45 Posted by Nyogtha (353 posts) - - Show Bio

All these different recruits because the corp guys are in Wakanda?

#46 Posted by brendon277 (513 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh my god! I've been waiting for more comics with Elektra in them and she sorta does have powers or abilities she can mentally communicate with others and see into the future ans is pretty bad ass and aren't the X-Men supposed to be bad ass? So i'm happy she's in this issue or issues. So all i have to say now is YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

#47 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#48 Posted by Peevo (39 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope the next announcement has one of the academy kids.

#49 Posted by spiderguylll (620 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel is just messing with us...but if see a Deadpool, then i'll believe
#50 Posted by pinchpaker29 (470 posts) - - Show Bio

Elektra?! really?!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.