What does it want?

#1 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

it's none of the above...

it transcends good or evil and if you ever actually do find out what it wants, you'd be too crazy to tell anyone...

M

#2 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been looking up on Cthulhu, and I know that what it is (sorta), but they never say what it wants.

What is this thing's goal? Is it evil, neutral (find it hard to believe it's on the "good" side of things)?

#3 Posted by Shaper (5168 posts) - - Show Bio

I know. Cthulhu has caught my attention (It really grabs my attention for some reason) but I have no idea what it wants.

#4 Posted by Vrakmul (23849 posts) - - Show Bio

Sparda says:

"I've been looking up on Cthulhu, and I know that what it *is* (sorta), but they never say what it *wants*.What is this thing's goal? Is it evil, neutral (find it hard to believe it's on the "good" side of things)?"

First off it's not good nor neutral. It's above that. Second of all, though it will feast on the souls of man, it does that out of desire, not need. It will teach man kind a new kind of fear, unlimited madness, never ending woes. It's main goal is to reawaken with the rest of the great old ones when the stars are right. Then reclaim the universe.

But it probably has goals far too maddening for one to know, heck even looking at Cthulhu makes you insane. But it will probably destroy the universe as we know it and replace it with something, beyond even the craziest lunatic's worst nightmares.
Post Edited:2008-03-17 16:31:28

#5 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I like this thing.

H.P. Lovecraft freaking rocks.

#6 Posted by Vrakmul (23849 posts) - - Show Bio

Sparda says:

"I think I like this thing.H.P. Lovecraft freaking rocks."

Hell yes, he's one of the few people who's name has become a adjective Like Pearl harbor has become a verb Here's a rough definition of it from me.

Lovecraftian: Of or like the being's of Lovecraft's mythos, typically maddening in appearance.

#7 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio

Anthing but Lovecraft....ANNNNNYTHING!! He scares the sh!t outta me.

#8 Posted by DragonGateAcer (5400 posts) - - Show Bio

Only found about this i believe its a god or above a god i dont know but it reminds me of a more evil twisted bad ass kraken. what happens if you see it but your already a crazed lunatic?

#9 Posted by Vrakmul (23849 posts) - - Show Bio

Vance Astro says:

"Anthing but Lovecraft....ANNNNNYTHING!! He scares the sh!t outta me."

He made the Horror genre what it is, without him, Horror stuff would not be taken seriously.

#10 Posted by Vrakmul (23849 posts) - - Show Bio

soul taker says:

"Only found about this i believe its a god or above a god i dont know but it reminds me of a more evil twisted bad ass kraken. what happens if you see it but your already a crazed lunatic? "

You descend further into madness. Either that or Cthulhu swallows your soul.

#11 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio

Dreadnaught says:

"Vance Astro says:
He made the Horror genre what it is, without him, Horror stuff would not be taken seriously. "

Well he does it better than most people.I saw a picture of him one day and I was scared to death.

#12 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

Vance Astro says:

Do yourself a favour-don't play Eternal Darkness with the lights off, then.

#13 Posted by DragonGateAcer (5400 posts) - - Show Bio

I like this thing but out of the old ones is it the most powerful and scary or are there others worse than this guy. i'll tell you what will make me go mad trying to pronounce its name.

#14 Posted by Vrakmul (23849 posts) - - Show Bio

Sparda says:

"Vance Astro says:

Do yourself a favour-don't play Eternal Darkness with the lights off, then."

Oh play Call of Cthulhu: The dark corners of the earth with the lights off. That will make you crap and wet yourself all at the same time, and you will jump out of your skin.

#15 Posted by Shaper (5168 posts) - - Show Bio

Sparda says:

"Vance Astro says:
Do yourself a favour-don't play *Eternal Darkness* with the lights off, then."

OH GOD! I remember when we had that discussion of the most scariest video game (A thread i made) and you showed us that video. YOU FRICKIN SCARED THE SH!T OUT OF ME!!!!

#16 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

Shaper says:

"Sparda says:
"Vance Astro says:

OH GOD! I remember when we had that discussion of the most scariest video game (A thread i made) and you showed us that video. YOU FRICKIN SCARED THE SH!T OUT OF ME!!!!"

Haha, yeah, that bathtub scene is not a nice thing to see.....

Lousy Octagon Freak posted it right after I told him not too, LOL.

#17 Posted by Vrakmul (23849 posts) - - Show Bio

soul taker says:

"I like this thing but out of the old ones is it the most powerful and scary or are there others worse than this guy. i'll tell you what will make me go mad trying to pronounce its name."

Azathoth was worse, but he's forever asleep. Not only due to slumber but because of a sort of divine song.

#18 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio

Sparda says:

"Vance Astro says:

I can't even play Resident Evil or Silent Hill in the dark.Eternal Chaos would blow my face off.

#19 Posted by DragonGateAcer (5400 posts) - - Show Bio

could godzilla beat this guy?

#20 Posted by Vrakmul (23849 posts) - - Show Bio

soul taker says:

"could godzilla beat this guy?"

Cthulhu dwarfs mountains, Godzilla is smaller than many buildings. 6+ miles vs 328 feet. And even with Godzilla's solar system destroying death theroes, he would probably be able to contain the blast in some sort of Arcane barrier.

#21 Posted by DragonGateAcer (5400 posts) - - Show Bio

Dreadnaught says:

"soul taker says:
Cthulhu dwarfs mountains, Godzilla is smaller than many buildings. 6+ miles vs 328 feet. And even with Godzilla's solar system destroying death theroes, he would probably be able to contain the blast in some sort of Arcane barrier. "

So does cthulhu have special powers

#22 Posted by Vrakmul (23849 posts) - - Show Bio

soul taker says:

"Dreadnaught says:
"soul taker says:
Cthulhu dwarfs mountains, Godzilla is smaller than many buildings. 6+ miles vs 328 feet. And even with Godzilla's solar system destroying death theroes, he would probably be able to contain the blast in some sort of Arcane barrier. "

So does cthulhu have special powers"

He has powers that could be best described as omnipotence. Knowledge that is best said as Omnisience. Arcane mastery of untold levels. Knowledges of science unrivaled by our three demensional minds.

#23 Posted by Vrakmul (23849 posts) - - Show Bio

soul taker says:

"Do you think the power of rock could stop him?"

I'm not sure that the great old ones listened to music. If they did it would probably be something incredibly alien to us.

#24 Posted by DragonGateAcer (5400 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you think the power of rock could stop him?

#25 Posted by Vrakmul (23849 posts) - - Show Bio

soul taker says:

"So could he be defeated or is he like everlasting and cant truly be killed."

Everlasting, he would outlast death itself.

#26 Posted by DragonGateAcer (5400 posts) - - Show Bio

So could he be defeated or is he like everlasting and cant truly be killed.

#27 Posted by Shaper (5168 posts) - - Show Bio

Dreadnaught says:

"soul taker says:
"I like this thing but out of the old ones is it the most powerful and scary or are there others worse than this guy. i'll tell you what will make me go mad trying to pronounce its name."
Azathoth was worse, but he's forever asleep. Not only due to slumber but because of a sort of divine song. "

Who's that?

#28 Posted by Vrakmul (23849 posts) - - Show Bio

Shaper says:

"Dreadnaught says:
"soul taker says:
Azathoth was worse, but he's forever asleep. Not only due to slumber but because of a sort of divine song. "

Who's that?"

The leader of Cthulu's pantheon.

#29 Posted by Shaper (5168 posts) - - Show Bio

Dreadnaught says:

"Shaper says:
"Dreadnaught says:
"soul taker says:
Who's that?"
The leader of Cthulu's pantheon. "

Pantheon? (Don't know anything about the Great Old Ones, so, sorry)

#30 Posted by Vrakmul (23849 posts) - - Show Bio

Shaper says:

"Dreadnaught says:
"Shaper says:
"Dreadnaught says:
"soul taker says:
Who's that?"

Pantheon? (Don't know anything about the Great Old Ones, so, sorry)"

The great old ones have a pantheon. Cthulhu being one of them.

#31 Posted by Shaper (5168 posts) - - Show Bio

Dreadnaught says:

"Shaper says:
"Dreadnaught says:
"Shaper says:
"Dreadnaught says:
"soul taker says:
Who's that?"
The great old ones have a pantheon. Cthulhu being one of them. "

Yea, but what does it mean?

#32 Posted by Vrakmul (23849 posts) - - Show Bio

Shaper says:

"Dreadnaught says:
"Shaper says:
"Dreadnaught says:
"Shaper says:
"Dreadnaught says:
"soul taker says:
Who's that?"
The great old ones have a pantheon. Cthulhu being one of them. "

Yea, but what does it mean?"

It means there is a large amount of all powerful maddening alien beings slumbering beneath your feet.

#33 Posted by Clutch (2836 posts) - - Show Bio

Im frickin hooked!!!

#34 Posted by Vrakmul (23849 posts) - - Show Bio

Clutch says:

"Im frickin hooked!!!"

Join the club. Just see my gallery. It turns out Yog sothoth is beyond even azathoth.

#35 Posted by Carn-Evil (1 posts) - - Show Bio

true. he isnt the leader or the strongest but the most famous and known.

#36 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

He makes satan look like a nun

#37 Posted by RavenDark (792 posts) - - Show Bio

I favor the King in Yellow, but his designs are beyond my mental faculties...Wait! Does that makes me sane?!

#38 Posted by Paracelsus (1719 posts) - - Show Bio

"It" sounds apt enough as an entity like Cthulhu is presumably above such limiting concepts as gender(ie "he" or "she")! Insamuch as Lovecraft was a declared atheist(not to mention a racist/anti-Semite), I am curious as to what Cthulhu's relationship is with God or the Devil(if any!).

Terry

#39 Posted by The Toon Man (59 posts) - - Show Bio

Could the Saint of Killers kill him?

#40 Posted by The Toon Man (59 posts) - - Show Bio

@Paracelsus: In Lovecraft's universe, God and the Devil don't exist. Instead there exists this guy and all those other alien like gods that just do whatever they want. Good and evil don't matter to them, though I do believe that gods like this guy are malevolent in nature, merely because their passtimes involve making things a living Hell for us.

#41 Posted by Paracelsus (1719 posts) - - Show Bio

Like Galactus in Marvel or a great white shark, Cthulhu is NOT consciously evil or sadistic(in the sense that it intentionally wishes humanity any harm), it's just that it(I presume Cthulhu is above such human limitations as biological gender) is as far removed from humanity as we are from ants or bacteria!

'Nuff said

Terry

#42 Posted by space_coyote (1140 posts) - - Show Bio

I think right now it wants to sleep

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.