Follow

Crossover

Concept » Crossover appears in 4489 issues.

A crossover is when two or more universes collide and characters from two distinct universes interact.

Sick of crossover events

konshu101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By konshu101

Ok so this has probably already been debated but I need to rant. I'm a bit of a Marvel and Dc junkie but over the last few years I've been presented with an endless barrage of company wide line altering 'events' that have been designed to be impossible to ignore. I wont bother listing them, you know what they are. At first I was delighted. In the 80's and 90's when crossover events where the norm I couldn't really afford anything but the core titles. So when they made a resurgence and I had a bit more disposable income the idea of owning a sprawling multi part epic really apealed to me. But they never stopped. I'm not even debating the quality of the crossovers . Just the fact that since House Of M ( don't know if Disassembled counts) and Infinite Crisis every event has consistently dovetailed into another larger more bankrupting one. I totally avoided Countdown and Final Crisis because I couldn't be bothered anymore. Dark Reign is sucking the life out of me and I've only picked up a couple of titles. Like I said I'm not talking about the quality or relevence of the stories (that's another rant) just their execution. The amount of Dark Reign titles is truly ridiculouse and apart from the ring of the cash till I don't see the point. I'm just glad I don't buy any of the X titles as well because I would probably be slitting my wrists right now. I can't even be bothered getting the trades. I know both companies have to compete with each other and big summer events are good for business but I'm so done with it. 
    Drafta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Drafta

It'll calm down soon enough.

Watch Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Watch Dog

I like them I get the core mini series and the books that I get on a normal bases and the author stuff I grab in trade when they come out.

Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
    Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

@konshu101:
    I totally agree with you on these crossover story-lines.  I'm even scared to pick up my regular titles now. 
    Don't know abou this time round, but I'm sure some of these "tie-in" issues probably only have maybe one page of story relating to the cross-over, and it is forced in, but they slap the big event on the book anyway. 
    Mighty Thorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 34

#4  Edited By Mighty Thorion
    @konshu101:
    Spot on my friend. I loved the initial Crisis on Infinite Earths and Secret wars series of the mid 80s. But when DC in particular began to have almost annual big x-overs; Legends, Millenium and Zero Hour soon followed and it didn't take a genius to work out what was going on - they wanted more of our cash!! (And titles were dovetailed to make sure they got it!). In a way I can still accept a "big x-over" series providing it can be seen to make a lasting impact across the whole line of books it comprises. However, something like "Final Crisis" which was heralded as something that would change the DCU forever but only affected about 50% of the DC line at most just leaves readers confused and disappointed. I would like to see DC concentrating on whatever individual books are left once Blackest Night is over and developing events therein rather than moving on to the next big series. By the way, I may be in a minority of 1 but I don't like Trades - I like comics and the feel of a comic in my hands.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

DC has smartened up and only has mini-series tie-ins to their major events instead of the story colliding into your favorite titles. 

Marvel however really does want your money and doesn't care if the story ruins your book and wants as many tie-ins as possible.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By danhimself
    @inferiorego said:

"DC has smartened up and only has mini-series tie-ins to their major events instead of the story colliding into your favorite titles.  Marvel however really does want your money and doesn't care if the story ruins your book and wants as many tie-ins as possible. "

Doom Patrol #4, Booster Gold #26, R.E.B.E.L.S. #10, Outsiders #24,      Justice League of America #39, and Adventure Comics #4 are all Blackest Night tie-in books
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @danhimself said:
    "@inferiorego said:

"DC has smartened up and only has mini-series tie-ins to their major events instead of the story colliding into your favorite titles.  Marvel however really does want your money and doesn't care if the story ruins your book and wants as many tie-ins as possible. "

Doom Patrol #4, Booster Gold #26, R.E.B.E.L.S. #10, Outsiders #24,      Justice League of America #39, and Adventure Comics #4 are all Blackest Night tie-in books "

Really? I thought they were keeping everything seperate. Crap... just when you think one of the companies smarten up. 
    I can actually understand some of these: Adventure Comics: The BL wants Conner dead again. 
    Booster Gold: Ted Kord is coming back.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By danhimself
    @inferiorego said:
    "@danhimself said:
    "@inferiorego said:

Doom Patrol #4, Booster Gold #26, R.E.B.E.L.S. #10, Outsiders #24,      Justice League of America #39, and Adventure Comics #4 are all Blackest Night tie-in books "
    Really? I thought they were keeping everything seperate. Crap... just when you think one of the companies smarten up. I can actually understand some of these: Adventure Comics: The BL wants Conner dead again. Booster Gold: Ted Kord is coming back. "

plus there's a Teen Titans tie-in issue to 

Apparently the Black Lanterns are coming for Superboy Prime in Adventure Comics
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @danhimself said:
    "@inferiorego said:
    "@danhimself said:
    "@inferiorego said:

Really? I thought they were keeping everything seperate. Crap... just when you think one of the companies smarten up. I can actually understand some of these: Adventure Comics: The BL wants Conner dead again. Booster Gold: Ted Kord is coming back. "
    plus there's a Teen Titans tie-in issue to  Apparently the Black Lanterns are coming for Superboy Prime in Adventure Comics "

this crossover, in my opinion, is too earth based.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By danhimself
    @inferiorego said:
    "@danhimself said:
    "@inferiorego said:
    "@danhimself said:
    "@inferiorego said:

plus there's a Teen Titans tie-in issue to  Apparently the Black Lanterns are coming for Superboy Prime in Adventure Comics "
    this crossover, in my opinion, is too earth based. "

R.E.B.E.L.S.  is spaced based
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @danhimself: I don't read that book, it doesn't interest me
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By danhimself
    @inferiorego said:
    "@danhimself: I don't read that book, it doesn't interest me "

yeah it's not that good, but for some reason I haven't dropped it yet....I probably will after the Blackest Night tie-in issue
    Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Marshal Victory
    @konshu101:
     half these events wouldnt be a problem if the writers knew or did some back ground on the history or characters they use.one more infinate secret blackest dark ultimatum house of night reign reborn war an they ( the big two) run the risk of loseing fan base .or at the very least my lunch. 

does dc or marvel use a character data base so writers least know who is usen whome an when an why?half these cross overs ( more like mega wallet leeches) wouldnt have had to happen.
    konshu101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By konshu101

@Marshal Victory: 
    It seems to depend who's writing the core series. Johns and Millar seem to really know there stuff and respect the history. I reckon they write for the fans. Bendis and Morrison seem to have been given a blanket pass to write whatever they want and retcon any cannon they don't like. As a result I reckon continuity is a bit of joke these days anyway. Marvel just magic everything away they don't want  and DC plaster over all their mistakes by getting someone to punch a wall a few times.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ThanosIsMad

Dark Reign is somewhat okay for me, because it's more of a theme that all books follow somewhat more than it is a giant crossover.  I do have to agree that things are getting a bit out of hand.

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vrakmul

The Comic Book Industry is going to wear itself into the ground, it can't afford to keep up a constant stream of cross-overs in a global recession that may worsen into a depression when no one will be able to afford them all and keep up. 

burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By burr787

I don't mind Crossovers, some are very good too. So far all of the Blackest Night tie-ins have been great and the New Krypton: Patriot storyline has been very good IMO. But almost all of the Battle for the Cowl tie-ins were either horrible or just okay except Arkham Asylum and Azreal(but that's just because I like the new Azreal). I also liked Infinite Crisis' preludes, like Villains United and the Omac Project, and FInal Crisis Aftermath: Dance is one of my favorite books on the shelf right now. I'm not sure if those are considered tie-ins but they're good none the less.

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vrakmul

If the recession worsens, it could mean that the comic book industry might suffer a fate similar to that of the automobile, insurance, and real estate industries, to require life support for the larger companies, and the near total disappearance of smaller ones.  The poetry industry could die out altogether if it worsens, after all the poetry industry is like a late cretaceous dinosaur, it's just waiting for some meteor to come and kill it so it can get off the piss poor conditions of the earth. 

Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Marshal Victory
    @Dreadnaught:
    well yes  no an maybe. during ressisons an depressions in general entertainment does well(tho my spelling always does poorly).but i agree that their can be a burn out. when coin is tight one looks at it this way.15 bucks could be a montly sub to a mmo or 4 comics maybe 5 if you get a discount . 

thats sorta how im looking at it now i was gona do about 30 bucks a month tword comics as time goes on.but now i duno from a distance its more revolving coffin door soap operas with multi cross overs .i was in high school when the 1st crisis went threw .earth 2 was one of the draws to dc i liked.characters got old an had kids an some of them became heroes. now i think what power girl is the lone survior an she rembers the other earth? or least used to .

now trade paper backs look to be better investemnts for entertainment dollar than ongoing series ( cept maybe astro city ).many of the independant titles look good these days to me.much less crossovers an more story.an oddly at this point if thier no summer cross over now people would some how blame the ressesion on it.
    Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vrakmul

I can see the Poetry industry dying out and the Comic industry changing a lot. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.