razzatazz's Cover Girls #1 - HC review

Unimpressed

I flipped through this at my LCS this week and I was unimpressed. It was easy to tell from the start that it was just a collection of artwork but I thought because of the title that it might be somehow fashion related. It is too bad therefore that they put the explanation only at the end as this is mostly a collection of erotic drawings drawn by the artist before he got famous on Gotham City Sirens. He is certainly talented, I am just not sure that this particular aspect of his talent needs to be shown off. Some of the drawings are nice, but a lot of pointlessly exploitative, good for Eros Comix or Playboy Spain as mentioned in the description, though I am unsure why Image felt the need to print this.

Posted by BumpyBoo

I don't really have a problem with the type of comic itself but, I would say there is a way of doing it. From what I've seen of this (which, granted, is only a few scans), it does look a little tacky :/

Moderator
Edited by RazzaTazz

@bumpyboo: The idea is fine, just the presentation, plus it takes something at the edge of the medium and puts it mainstream which is also kind of weird.

Posted by BumpyBoo

@razzatazz: Yeah, I was surprised to learn it was an Image title, actually did a double check when saw that! Seems a little lurid, garish and kind of blatantly commercial for them, not the kind of book I would expect at all.

Moderator
Edited by chalkshark

It's just a cash grab. Guillem March is now a recognizable, and reasonably, popular artist. It's easy enough, & inexpensive, to package up a bunch of his old work & release it.

Posted by SC

Awwh yey the return of Razzy reviews. Too bad about this issue. I wonder if I have this? Its an art book?! I usually get my LCBS to add art books/gallery books into my bag. I shall go and see. The cover looks cool at least, too bad about the contents.

Moderator Online