Follow

Court of Owls

Team » Court of Owls appears in 270 issues.

A secret society of Gotham's wealthiest and most influential people, controlling the city since its founding and burying its existence in fairy tales and urban legends.

The Court of Owls - an Inside Job?

lusilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By lusilly

Completely new to Comicvine, but I had to get this idea out there. Tell me what you think.

We've all been enjoying the rebooted Batman title, and there have been several articles and speculations about the Court of Owls and what it means for Batman, Bruce Wayne, and Gotham City. But it seems, at this point, like we're in the dark. We don't know anything about this Court of Owls - what it is, who runs it, what they want, what they've done already. It's extremely mysterious a little bit terrifying, which is why most of us love it so much.

But what if the Court of Owls isn't a new foe at all? What if it's really being orchestrated by an old, old member of Batman continuity?

Ladies and gentlefolk, I give you whom I believe to be the supreme mastermind behind the Court of Owls:

No Caption Provided

Alfred Pennyworth.

I know what you're thinking. He's the butler, for God's sake! He practically raised Bruce! There's no way he's a bad guy. Alfred Pennyworth is the one character in the entire DCU who is completely above suspicion.

But in a strange way, the Court of Owls may not necessarily be a bad thing. Maybe the death of Bruce’s parents was actually accidental, and after that Bruce slipped into such an awful, comatose state that Alfred pretty much engineered this persona of Batman for him to revert to. I mean, who better in a position to be controlling the strings? Nobody would suspect Alfred. And since he knows Bruce so well - he raised Bruce - who better to hide things from him? Maybe Alfred used the Court of Owls to orchestrate some grand, complex plot behind everything that’s ever happened in Gotham, and Alfred’s been at the head of it all. Which explains why there are so many theme villains and capes in Gotham. Because Alfred and the Court of Owls have been dragging them in for Bruce to, essentially, play with.

And think about it. Alfred pretty much controls Bruce’s every move. Who do you think got him tickets to the circus, where a daring young man on the flying trapeze witnessed his parents’ deaths?

This is one hell of a conspiracy theory, but Bruce trusts Alfred more than anyone. He doesn’t even think to question the things Alfred tells him, because Alfred is completely loyal and always has been. Alfred raised him. So when Alfred tells him something isn’t real, it isn't real. So if Batman really, legitimately believed that this Court of Owls did not exist - well, wouldn’t it have been possible that Alfred made it so he thought that?

And then we have this scene in Batman #3:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Alfred’s father? Served Alan Wayne? Who believed that owls were roosting inside his home? Hmmm.

And then there’s this little piece of commentary:

No Caption Provided

“They’re one of the rare birds that doesn’t build its own nest. Instead, what they do is find nests abandoned or in use by rival birds and take them over. In essence, they invade an enemy’s territory…and build their nests inside his home.”

Now I am going to feel awful for even thinking this, but…Alfred Pennyworth isn’t a Wayne. Wayne Manor - their “nest” - isn’t his. It’s in use. It was abandoned by the Waynes at their death. Now I’m not necessarily implicating Alfred in the Wayne’s murder, but…well. I’ll stay away from that for now.

Also, notice that in all of the ‘nests’ of the Court of Owls, there are a couple familiar features:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Giant coins? Suits of armor? A display case?

Let’s not forget who bought the giant penny for the Batcave in the first place (so that might be kind of sketchy, but I was reading through the Batman Files last night and apparently Alfred bought it for Bruce at an auction. Just sayin).

And also? I’d like to question the fact that it took a week to find little Bruce. A whole week? Alfred paid so much attention to Bruce after his parents died, I highly doubt that he’d disappear and it would take a week for Alfred to find him.

No Caption Provided

And note what Bruce says right here: “When Alfred finally found me…”

Not to mention this conversation:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

“My point is, sometimes we become so concerned with little dangers that we don’t see the big one, right beneath our feet. That’s all.”

Now call me crazy, but this Court of Owls doesn’t seem like a ‘big one’ that’s been ‘right beneath our feet’ the whole time. You know? It’s not one that you just ‘don’t see’ because that implies it’s an obvious threat, and the Court hasn’t even shown itself until now. And this conversation is definitely not random. It’s very important and planned. And then he asks the million dollar question: Who’s watching you?

Well…Alfred is. All the time. That’s what Alfred does, he watches over Bruce Wayne. And I think that’s connected to that earlier statement, a ‘big danger right beneath his feet.’ I think this conversation is too calculated to not be full of big and important clues. And also I think it’s important that the danger this guy is talking about happened at the “home for boys I lived in, after my parents died.” Hmm. A danger in the home you lived in, after your parents died? Hmmmm.

Arguably the creepiest thing about this Court of Owls is the assertion that they’re watching you. Always. No, not you, it’s not so creepy that they’re watching any old average Joe - it’s that they’re watching Batman. And he didn’t know about it.

No Caption Provided

“The court of owls watches, watches all the time. Ruling Gotham from a shadowed perch, behind granite and lime. They see you at your hearth. And they see you in your bed…speak not a whispered word about them…or they’ll send the Talon for your head!”

First of all, the court of owl “watches, watches all the time.” Alfred’s not a superhero. He doesn’t get out there and fight (well, except for the occasional spurt of badassery). What does he do? He watches over Bruce. He watches out for Bruce. He watches Bruce. And “a shadowed perch, behind granite and lime.” Granite and lime - suggesting wealth? A great mansion, in fact? Perhaps a Manor? Alfred stays in Wayne Manor, like, all the time, right? As far as “they see you at your hearth, they see you in your bed” - now tell me, who has seen Bruce Wayne - Batman - in more vulnerable positions than Alfred has? Alfred Pennyworth has seen Bruce relaxing, sleeping, totally off his guard, not to mention watching over him when he was a child as well.

Also I would like to mention that "Talon" is a name that was used by an alternate version of Tim Drake on Earth-3 and that Dick Grayson has already been implicated once, which to me reinforces the idea that the whole Court of Owls thing is really happening within the family.

Now I’m not saying that this is likely. I doubt they would ever besmirch Alfred’s name in comic books, because come on this is Alfred we’re talking about. He’s untouchable.

But has that made us blind to the possibility? I think that the potential absolutely exists. I don’t think it will happen, and maybe I’m reading too much into things but…who knows? Maybe the reboot will be seeing even more changes within the Batfamily… the loss of Alfred, perhaps?

So sure, dismiss this as “never gonna happen” because that’s probably the likeliest conclusion. But don’t forget the most chilling revelation of them all about the Court of Owls…

No Caption Provided

…“They’re in our homes.”

--follow me on tumblr here--

xoxoX23xoxo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By xoxoX23xoxo

This is detailed, so concise it is scary. I have been wondering for a long time what Alfred's real role was. He has to have more depth than just the butler. After reading through the New issues. I would not put anything past the writers' imaginations at this point. That is the beauty of revamping. You are able to take a classic look and put a fresh spin. And WoW. What a spin that would be. For your first post, Great Job! Look forward to your insights in the future :)

kartron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 38

#2  Edited By kartron

Great thinking there buddy! That will be an amazing thriller but at the same time I think I would be disappointed if it were to be Alfred. Truly. Coz He is such a dearly nice character. I wouldnt really ruin his role. But as I said good thinking and great job for the first post.. keep it coming....

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By the_tree

I love Alfred, and making him evil would be a big no-no.

YMCMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By YMCMB

Really deep thinking and it's an interesting idea, I doubt DC would even let Snyder do this to Alfred's character though, it's just too extreme

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    DC better not mess with Alfred -__-
    soccersss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By soccersss

@The_Tree said:

I love Alfred, and making him evil would be a big no-no.

I would throw a tantrum if Alfred played a key role in the Court of Owls

Avatar image for abattoir_noises
    Abattoir_Noises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Abattoir_Noises

Very well done, I would be apt to believe this if not for the fact, as you said yourself, that Alfred is pretty much untouchable... but then again, why not? It is the New 52, so to shake up Batman like this would be a pretty epic way to make everything old new again. I've really enjoyed this series so far, story and art are top notch, plus I'm slightly obsessed with owls, so...bonus! Ha ha, but to expound on your theory, what if Alfred's father was indeed a member of the court? Ashamed of this knowledge, Alfred has kept it hidden from Bruce all these years. Perhaps Alfred was in line to be a member too, until Bruce became Batman and Alfred's allegiances were put to the test. He chose Bruce, and siding with Batman does offer it's own sort of protection from a vengeful court, right? Until now, of course...wow, I really like this line of thinking, again, great post!

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Superguy0009e

honestly, i think it maybe lincoln, but alfred would make sense

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ComicStooge

This is brilliant.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By InnerVenom123

Just gained a new, healthy fear of Alfred.

Genius post.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
    Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Guardiandevil83

Awesomeness!! Apply For work writing the Next Big Comic Movie please!

Thwipping_Boys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Thwipping_Boys

Good theory!

If this is true, we called this in our podcast back in November :)

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@lusilly: This should be put on the front page! Excellent job.

sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By sj_esposito

Welcome to Comic Vine, @lusilly You've certainly made a big splash. This is quite a theory--there's a part of me that wishes this could be the truth, because it would shake everything to the core--unfortunately, I think, like everyone else, Alfred is pretty much incorruptible at this point.

I do think that there is going to be more to the Court than we've been let on to believe, and I think it's probably not going to be something that's going to be revealed anytime soon. I'm willing to bet that Snyder--and maybe others--will revisit the Court many times in the future before we get any real answer as to their origins and such.

A part of me hopes that we won't get a neatly tied-up conclusion to the arc. I kind of want to see the Court leave their mark on Bruce and Gotham and then just kind of fade to black; I don't think Batman has enough of those villains that are truly scary enough to rattle his cage and be elusive enough to slip in and out of his life when they see fit.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#15  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Alfred would never betray Bruce. Period.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By InnerVenom123

I got Scott Snyder to look at this via FB. He thinks it's a neat piece of theory.

Just figured you should know, OP. :P

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By TheMess1428

The "The Butler Did It" theory was addressed in the "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?" arc.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By InnerVenom123

@TheMess1428 said:

The "The Butler Did It" theory was addressed in the "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?" arc.

What exactly happened?

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheMess1428

@InnerVenom123: They pretty much made it some kind of alternate universe or something because they had Alfred posing as the Joker the entire time and he hired all the other villains just so Bruce had something to do with his life because it was a silly idea to become a costumed crimefighter in real life or something.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By InnerVenom123

@TheMess1428 said:

@InnerVenom123: They pretty much made it some kind of alternate universe or something because they had Alfred posing as the Joker the entire time and he hired all the other villains just so Bruce had something to do with his life because it was a silly idea to become a costumed crimefighter in real life or something.

Ahh. I remember seeing a scan where Alfred was the Joker.

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheMess1428

@InnerVenom123: Yeah, that would most likely be it.

lusilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lusilly

@InnerVenom123: Scott Snyder saw this theory on Facebook???? Where? Did he post it on FB or something?

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By InnerVenom123

@lusilly: I sent it to him on his FB via PM and he said he liked it.

lusilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By lusilly

@InnerVenom123: Wow! I'm honored! :D

Mortacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mortacai

Something I didn't see you mention, in issue one where Bruce is trying out the contact computer it shows Alfred has the highest clearance, higher than Tim, Dick, and Damian.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#26  Edited By gmanfromheck

I meant to comment here before. This is great. And yes, Scott did read this. He mentioned in on Twitter last month.

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.