Follow

Cosplay

Concept » Cosplay appears in 67 issues.

Better known as "Cosplay", Costumed Roleplaying is a custom of dressing like fictional characters.

Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen: Cosplayers?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Celebrities cosplaying or simply just wearing a nerd-related costume isn't a new thing. At many comic book conventions, you'll see America's Next Top model winner, Adrianne Curry, usually dressed up as something Star Wars related, such as slave Leia or a member of the Empire. She seems to have a love for all things Star Wars.

Ex-Attack of the Show host Oliva Munn gets into the action when she dresses up as Chun-Li or Wonder Woman. She's always seemed connected to comic book culture and all things nerdy. But what happens when to celebrities that have nothing to do with this sub-culture nor really seem to care about it get dressed up?

No Caption Provided
    == TEASER ==

For those of you who don't know, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen both played Michelle Tanner on 'Full House' back in the late 80s. They then went on to be super-rich through home videos on clothing lines. They're fashionable people, and the last thing many people think about, when thinking about the artists formally known as the Olsen Twins, is nerdy. Nevertheless, these two "fashionistas" (Thanks TJ Max commercial!) ventured into the land of cos-play for a recent photo shoot.

No Caption Provided

The Olsens, as you can see, got all "decked" out in a video for stylemint recently. What is stylemint? Well, it's a website about style or selling things, I think. Honestly, I gave up trying to figure it out. The whole dress-up party is for a website video trivia contest. Each correct answer has the two women parading around in cosplay gear. By the way, this is the dumbest one.

The gals (I couldn't tell you which one is which) are kinda dressed up as Catwoman and Batman, complete with masks and a whip. Which is kinda like how I'm dressed up as Captain America right now with my Cap t-shirt. They also dress up as Stan and Cartman from South Park, and a Stormtrooper and Darth Vader holding lightsaber Starbucks cups from what can only be described as a dream I have after a LOOOONNNGGG night of drinking.

For those of you wondering, yes, I went through every video and eventually, I got all the correct answers. Spoiler alert: the secret code is "Spooky." What's weirder than the awkwardness of the videos is what other websites are saying about the sisters.

According to io9, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen have ruined Halloween. I don't know about them, but I think I'm still going to have a great time this Halloween dressed up as a Raiders fan, regardless of what Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen have done. But they do make a good point.

A noble effort, ladies — but the key to cosplay is pretending that you like dressing up as Batman in a leather pencil skirt.

The baby Robin is actually John Stamos
    The baby Robin is actually John Stamos

E! Online thinks it's great they're making fashion funny. As a person who likes to think himself a "funny man," I disagree.

Cosplay isn't funny: It's awesome. It's a chance for people who love nerd-culture to dress up as their favorite characters and have fun. These two girls look like they're having about as much fun as you can at a funeral.

I'm not mad that they're doing what they're doing. They're marketing their brand, and obviously, they're getting a ton of press because of it... including from Comic Vine. What bugs me about all of this is two things: People are calling it funny, and people are calling it cosplay. It's neither of those things. It's an ad, and a really creepy one at that. It's like calling yourself a chef because you made yourself a sandwich. You're not a cosplayer for putting on a mask. If the Olsen women proved something today it's that dressing up as Darth Vader isn't always awesome. You're ruined the one thing I thought was true in life no matter what. A pox on your house.

It's ratings time. Every year, which you'll see very soon, I rate a whole bunch of comic book related costumes, and I'll start off this year with this add.

Cartman: 1/10. The 2 dimensional aspect, for the face, is the only thing they got right. Ashley, or Mary-Kate, isn't fat, loud, or annoying, so she's not into the character at all.

Stan: 2/10. See above. She gets one extra point because Stan isn't fat.

Catwoman: 4/10. This is actually the best of the lot. It's the most like the character, even though it's the Batman Returns Catwoman mask, which I am not a fan of.

John Stamos as Robin: 10/10. Now THAT man is an actor. He really has the character of a young Tim Drake (before his Red Robin days) down. Give that man a SAG award.

Sunday Morning Brunch Batman: 0/10. I know they sell those kiddie masks at Walmart for like $5, but couldn't you at least get a fancy cape?

Barista Stormtrooper: -30/10. Stormtroopers can't even hit a target. What makes you think they're equipped to handle a lightsaber or a lattesaber?

Barista Darth Vader: 0/10. When did Darth Vader join the Sons of Anarchy?

What do you guys think of this? If the Olsens were going to go out as cosplayers, what hero or villain would suit them best? Lastly, isn't Robin adorable?

Follow Mat "Inferiorego" Elfring's twitters accounts. Why does he have two? He still doesn't know: @inferiorego @thematelfring

Ulyverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ulyverse

I'm more worried over the fact they share the same name as Jimmy Olsen.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By No_Name_

Who staged their crappy photoshoot? Super awkward.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Daveyo520

There is a difference between cosplay and dressing up for Halloween.

KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By KRYPTON

Tis the season to where costumes in public

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

Yep. And people ask me why I have no faith in mankind. OH WAIT. Nobody asks me that because they understand exactly why. XP

torp66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By torp66

There's so much wrong with this. And to consider this cosplay is just... "how wude!"

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jordanstine

SMH.

What will Danny Tanner say about this???

Uncle Jessie!

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#8  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

These two are still alive?

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By sora_thekey

Um.... o_O
    The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#10  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@sora_thekey said:

Um.... o_O

my thoughts exactly...

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By HexThis

It's not cosplay and I don't even think it's meant to be funny- they're hipsters, it's how they get people talking.

Hipsters tend to do things that are ironic, express fashionable disinterest, have obscure or bizarre inspirations, and compel people to talk about it like everyone here is right now.

And I don't say that to knock anyone who's a hipster but it's definitely straight up that alley.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By _Zombie_

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

I'd assumed they'd been swallowed up by some gaping black hole for the greater good.

Also, to call this cosplay is seriously insulting to the actual cosplayers. Hell, that Darth Vader helmet looks like it's photoshopped on.

mrzero1982pt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mrzero1982pt2

they are hipsters. and hipsters deserve to be thrown in volcanoes. these girls deserve to be tossed into volcanoes

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#14  Edited By The Impersonator

Now I'm flipped out.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BatteredArmor

I don't really blame them or hold it agsinst them at all i meen it was on camera meaning that as celebritys they made a butt load of money and were told maybe foarced to do it

CODYSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CODYSF

Chun li is hot.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By moywar700

Worst cosplay ever!

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Olivia Munn as Chun Li is so...GIGGITY. Same for Adrianne Curry as a member of the Galactic Empire. The Olsens with their sad attempt at cosplay?

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as they say "you got it, dude," everything is dandy.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#20  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@moywar700 said:

Worst cosplay ever!

by far.

Avatar image for scifi_superstar
    scifi_superstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By scifi_superstar

im not offended. it is obvious that they have no interest in comics, science fiction or fantasy, as evident by their pathetic appearance. you cant even call them costumes; they are just to girls wearing masks. i also doubt that they are trying to pose or decieve the viewer as being a fan of OUR media. so its cool.

abiotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By abiotic

@pikahyper: ha!

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By InnerVenom123

GTFO my reality, Olsen Twins.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ssejllenrad
    @InnerVenom123 said:

GTFO my reality, Olsen Twins.

Ditto!
    EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By EdwardWindsor

A mask and a prop is not a costume its a half assed job if you ask me. Hell when i wear any of my superhero tshirts it looks like i have made more of an effort and i dont call that a costume. Poor publicity stunt?

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By pixelized

How can you not tell which is which? Mary-Kate is obviously the fat one, obviously.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Eyz

O...kay...

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Exactly!! XD

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By Billy Batson

lolwut?
    BB

maemmfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By maemmfc

I'm a fashion major, cosplayer, and nerd...and I'm offended by both how ugly their clothes are anddd their attempts at cosplaying. Although I wonder (unless I missed it in the article) -- did they claim they were cosplaying, or are they just (poorly) dressing up for Halloween? Just curious (I don't want to look on that site, it's too hipster for me haha). They also could have at least looked like they were having fun (like Adrianne Curry and Olivia Munn do), rather than be emotionless and expressionless. Then again...they ARE the Olsen twins.

Now Adrianne Curry and Olivia Munn? Frick yes. So much respect. Plus they look like they put effort into their costumes (assuming they made it, if they didn't, they bought some great commissions), rather than Olsen #1 buying a cheap Batman mask from a drugstore.

spaceboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By spaceboy

I'm more concerned with Anne Hathaway dressing up as Catwoman...

MonkeyKing1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MonkeyKing1969

People say they are boozers and drug addicts, but I have no clue. They could just be sheltered young women who have never really dealt with anything that couldn’t be solved in a few hours and days with a pile of cash.

I think it would be very interesting to drop them off on a fishing village town with 600 people in it on an isolated island. Give them enough money for two weeks rent, and then tell them

1) Get a job

2) Try not to piss anyone off...btw nobody cares who you are here.

3) Do the above things without TV cameras or publicity.

Then leave them on that island for 18 months. It would probably do them good; they might turn into human beings. They would likely return to New York and their company as rational smart human beings.

Avatar image for thestepfordcuckoos
    thestepfordcuckoos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

O.o

This whole topic is idiotic.

Fire Star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Fire Star

@Daveyo520 said:

There is a difference between cosplay and dressing up for Halloween.

This. This isn't cosplay. This is a sad excuse for dressing up.

WonderBoy1132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WonderBoy1132

ummm this is awkward

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lykopis

...why do I have this horrible feeling this is an insidious prelude to an upcoming reality show that might be in the works for these two?

DKing_CiCADA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DKing_CiCADA

You think those two would be dead by now

Avatar image for christopherwalken
    christopherwalken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cosplay? Ha!

Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Marshal Victory
    @mikeclark1982 said:

they are hipsters. and hipsters deserve to be thrown in volcanoes. these girls deserve to be tossed into volcanoes

See this proves that valcanoes dont kill people... people who throw people into valcanoes kill people..err something like that. Maybe it was people who throw people into valcanoes get thrown into woodchippers? 

Their was a point in all this im sure.But haten on a hipster kinda means you have feelings for them :/ 

Nota fan of the twins.Gota wonder tho who told them that would be "cool".Because if it was their "inner voice" it lied . 

Cosplay is defined as dressing up an some role play the character at convetions an such,other than holloween.Think cosplayer go as them selves on holloween?
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By pixelized
    @MonkeyKing1969 said:

People say they are boozers and drug addicts, but I have no clue. They could just be sheltered young women who have never really dealt with anything that couldn’t be solved in a few hours and days with a pile of cash.

I think it would be very interesting to drop them off on a fishing village town with 600 people in it on an isolated island. Give them enough money for two weeks rent, and then tell them

1) Get a job

2) Try not to piss anyone off...btw nobody cares who you are here.

3) Do the above things without TV cameras or publicity.

Then leave them on that island for 18 months. It would probably do them good; they might turn into human beings. They would likely return to New York and their company as rational smart human beings.

Well I mean, they're Billionaires, so they must be doing something right.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.