Follow

Cosplay

Concept » Cosplay appears in 66 issues.

Better known as "Cosplay", Costumed Roleplaying is a custom of dressing like fictional characters.

How far has cosplay come?

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz

I found an interesting picture this morning:

No Caption Provided

To put this in context, this is a picture from the 1970s of an officially sanctioned by Marvel group of people that could be hired to bring heroes to public events (and presumably birthday parties for reall rich kids.) The problem is that these costumes look pretty much ... horrible (rumour is that Jonathan Frakes play Captain America.) This was not even cosplay, as they were not doing this for fun, they were getting paid (coswork?) Take a look at a more recent picture (chosen out of the CV cosplay gallery, because it also has Spider Woman in it):

No Caption Provided

Granted we are almost 40 years on now, and makeup and fabric have increased, but it seems as though there has been a substantial improvement in real life costumes. The point of this blog was more just to show the contrast, but I suppose that the improvements also have to do with the genre becoming more mainstream nd fans wanting to interact with the medium in a different way.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

@renchamp: True but even the regular characters look kind of bad.

Too bad about a concussion, I hope you heal fast ... :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.