Follow

Convergence

Story arc »

Thought to have been erased, the Pre-New 52 universes remain under the control of Brainiac, until a new being by the name of Telos interferes with them.

Interview: Marv Wolfman, Nicola Scott, and Marc Deering Discuss CONVERGENCE: NEW TEEN TITANS

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Week 3 of DC's Convergence is offering quite a few books featuring characters from Crisis on Infinite Earths with great creative teams behind them. One of those books hitting stores on April 22nd is NEW TEEN TITANS, with returning writer Marv Wolfman. He and artists Nicola Scott and Marc Deering answered a few of our questions about this upcoming book.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: Marv, you're known for your runs on both NEW TEEN TITANS and TALES OF THE TEEN TITANS, how did it feel to get to work with some of these characters again?

MARV WOLFMAN: I've almost never stopped writing them. I wrote the original book for 16 years but then wrote short stories or mini series since. And of course George Perez and I did the graphic novel 2 years ago. And because of the timing of our story I got to do more with Jericho and Kole which actually uses a storyline I started back in 1984 but we didn't follow through on. But back then Kole asks a question which we didn't answer until now. It might be nice and very surprising to readers what I wanted to do 31 years ago. It'll definitely be controversial.

I love writing these characters and only wish Raven was in it, but she wasn't part of the group during this specific timeline.

CV: Nicola and Marc, when it came to the costumes, did you do any updating to make it look a bit more contemporary or did you stick with the classic costume representing the era? Also, where there any challenges within that?

NICOLA SCOTT: I tried to keep it as classic as possible. I wanted everyone to look just how they are remembered. I think I updated Kole just a little. No-one needs to see her underpants anymore.

Also, I tried to stick with the look of pre-Crisis Gotham. It wasn't an overly stylised gothic city at that point, more like a traditional modern city, New York-ish.

MARC DEERING: The costumes were all up to Nicola and she did an amazing job. Nicola is the George Perez of my generation of artists. Her attention to detail and storytelling is just wonderful.

CV: Was there anyone character you were more excited to work with over the others?

MW: I never got to write Kole much before she died in the Crisis so I was looking forward to this.

NS: I love all these guys but it was definitely Donna that I was most excited about. As soon as I was approached to do this story my first question was about the red jumpsuit. It was my deciding factor. LOVE that era of design.

MD: Donna Troy. Why? Strong, confident, and beautiful.

No Caption Provided

CV: Was there a particular team line-up you wanted over anything else?

MW: I don't know about the other books but I was assigned the Titans during this timeline as well as using the Tangent Doom Patrol. So it wasn't a question of choosing the teams.

NS: I was disappointed to not have Wally. I LOVE him and would've loved to draw him for a couple of issues. Alas! But everyone else I was hoping for was right there, front and centre!

CV: What's this upcoming Convergence story about?

MW: The Tangent Doom Patrol had come back in time to save their future world while the Titans want to save Gotham City. So we have totally motivated groups whose goals put them diametrically against each other. It's also about Cyborg being the lynchpin for both groups which puts him in the danger spot. It's also about Nightwing and Starfire at a crucial point in their marriage (!!!) as well as Wonder Girl who is alone here because her husband isn't with her and the other Titans are going thru their own severe problems. And of course we have an entire plot, too.

CV: What was it like bringing in the Tangent Universe's Doom Patrol into this book?

MW: It was fun. I read them in the original Tangent Comics but just casually. I thought Dan Jurgens put together a really fun group.

NS: They haven't had many appearances so it was kinda really fun to balance some really well known and loved characters with some less familiar.

Their story is so loaded with tragedy that they're desperately trying to fix. It really raises the stakes of the conflict.

Thanks to Marv Wolfman, Nicola Scott, and Marc Deering for answering our questions. CONVERGENCE: NEW TEEN TITANS #1 his stores on April 22nd!

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Oh god.... it's so beautiful, look at those costumes, so bold, so heroic, so f*cking 80's

I Love It!

This is going to be so awesome, I cannot wait. I think now more then ever we need a taste of classic Titans.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Man this artwork just bring back memories.

Tears.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I'm pretty pumped for this.

John-PH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, look at that Starfire hair

AnEga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AnEga

I must have my timelines wrong, but wasnt Dick still Robin when Raven joined? I know he became Nightwing during The Judas Contract, and Raven was on the team when Dick was still Robin......so Raven would have been a part of this team that included Kole, no? Joey joined after the Judas Contract....and he seems close to Kole. I was a huge TT fan back in the 80s and I really only remember Kole from her death in Crisis. I guess I'm missing a huge chunk of time when she was with the team. I cant seem to fit Kole in to the teams timeline. Anyone who can help me sort this out will be my hero.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

That art is awesome looking! Looking forward to this in April!

graftn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm not reading current but I saw "Marv Wolfman... New Teen Titans" and freaked out a bit. What is this? What's Convergence? What's going on?

AnEga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@graftn: I think brainiac has taken parts of dead worlds from the multiverse and put them into domes or something. So the pre new 52 world is alive there, and other parts of the multiverse or whatever. It sounds cool.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Remember when the teen titans were the best?

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

actually, we need MORE of Kole's panty shots. Not less.

I assume Kole's question to Jericho from 30 years ago is about him being gay?

Cant wait to see how badly the Titans TV show will be.

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is like bringing back a good part of the past and reliving it. It doesn't happen very often.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#12  Edited By Outside_85

On one hand I am soo excited to read this because its Wolfman, the best TT writer and Nicola Scott, one of the best Titan artists we've had. :)

On the other hand, I am gutted me personal favourite Titan is not going to be a part of anything of this Convergence dolally simply because the timelines are nidpicky :(

@anega said:

I must have my timelines wrong, but wasnt Dick still Robin when Raven joined? I know he became Nightwing during The Judas Contract, and Raven was on the team when Dick was still Robin......so Raven would have been a part of this team that included Kole, no? Joey joined after the Judas Contract....and he seems close to Kole. I was a huge TT fan back in the 80s and I really only remember Kole from her death in Crisis. I guess I'm missing a huge chunk of time when she was with the team. I cant seem to fit Kole in to the teams timeline. Anyone who can help me sort this out will be my hero.

The timeline is thus:

• Raven more of less formed the New Teen Titans, with Dick (as Robin) as the leader.
    • Dick later left the group for a short time (juggling too many things) and returned as Nightwing during the Judas Contract, where we also first meet Joey.
    • Kole however joins sometime after Terror of Trigon and was pretty much there only as a Crisis-scapegoat for the team.

The group Wolfman is writing in this book, is the team that was active during Crisis on Infinite Earths. Back then Kole was invented so NTT did not have to sacrifice a more well established member, as everyone had to back then to give the event it's huge impact. At this stage in time, Raven was still missing after the events of Terror of Trigon, she was infact missing so much even the Monitor and his evil counterpart couldn't find her, incase they couldn't get Psycho Pirate.

No Caption Provided

UltronMk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@graftn: Braniac ( or a version of Braniac as its being said in solicits) has been collecting cities from different times and realities in the DCU (Pre Crisis, post Crisis, Flashpoint, Kingdom Come, new 52 all of them) and places them on a planet. He covers each city in a dome for a year. So they know they are trapped, but not that they are on another planet or timeline. Then he takes down the domes to let all the characters mix. There may be a vs aspect to it as well but not entirely sure. That's the gist though. So all these characters will fight for the survival of their 'reality' but only 1 reality will remain... Dun dun DUN!!!!! but this will end with a way for the pre 52 characters to still be around somehow according to Dan Didio if fans are interested in them.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

If BB is going to be called Changeling, then count me in!

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This book will be one of the best, mark my words!

Pizzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pizzaman

Finally get to see a new story about the real Teen Titans.

Avatar image for the_greatest_username
    The_Greatest_Username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love that the issue hasn't even dropped and Nicola has already graced us with another Nightwing ass shot.

Anyways, this book should be a lot of fun. It'll be nice to enjoy a Titans book again.

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Meh, I don't mind the New 52 Teen Titans...the current run or Lobdell's run. So no, I'm not on the hate train like most people. Fanboys are buying this simply because of nostalgia rather than story which is sad. On the other hand, it'll be the opposite for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.