undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Alternate dimensional stories are fantastic at giving us different takes on familiar faces and raising the stakes by reminding the reader that survival of these beloved characters isn’t guaranteed. They can also function to establish emotional stakes and bonds quickly as familiar readers will have handy short-hands and already know who someone is and what they want. Alisa Kwitney shows a Gotham City very similar to the prime one, but different in its own ways as well and having undergone a startling, bizarre change. For instance: we’re dropped right in to the fact that Cassandra Cain is back and is an established character (Black Bat) while Stephanie Brown hung up the mantle of being Batgirl a year ago in this timeline after the Brainiac dome came up. The highlight of this issue is easily the sights that we see in Gotham as they've tried to adapt to this strange new life. We’re jumped straight into the action as the champions clash in the brutal tournament, but motivations quickly come under question as does agency, particularly with the villain they’re having to deal with.

Rick Leonardi is on pencils and does a great job with organically moving the action from one panel to the next, creating a sense of flow and the illusion of motion so that the reader can easily picture what’s happening between panels while Steve Buccellato emphasizes the bleak, scorching heat of the desert. The colors are bright and bold, but they’re used to create a sense of weariness and blindingness rather than comfort and whimsy. Mark Pennington's inks give the action a sense of impact and the characters a sense of real weight.

The Bad

It's strange calling this an alternate universe, as it used to be the main one but as these are alternate-universe versions of the characters, particularly one character who hasn’t even shown up in the New-52, some establishment is necessary and is not in the least bit forthcoming. While there’s an odd novelty to seeing the pre-Flashpointcharacters show back up, there’s also almost nothing that establishes the intervening time between when Flashpoint happened and now. The characters come off as interchangeable, except for Cassandra Cain, but only because her speech is more robotic to the point of, at times, being absurd. This becomes even more problematic when one considers the fact that the New-52 was meant to draw in new readers, and by many accounts it succeeded in that, who would have absolutely no clue who at least two of the main characters are, what their relationship is, and even what motivates them. This leads to their dialog coming off as stilted and inorganic while still not really supplying the reader with any information.

While the art has a great sense of flow, the details and characters look muddy and indistinct. The linework isn’t contained and there are some panels where characters almost appear to spill from one into the next, and generally lack finer detail of any kind from top-to-bottom.

The Verdict

It’s difficult to tell who this coming is for. If it’s for fans of the Bat-Family from before the New-52 began, it spends too much time recounting where the characters were in the intervening time and also doesn’t make it clear that that’s who we’re dealing with. If it’s for new readers, they’ll be completely baffled by this cavalcade of new faces and masks. While the pacing is good and the flow is great, and there are some stand-out character moments in the writing and concept, the whole experience falls flat and feels muddled.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Yikes.

Synack1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Yea, this was sort of boring. My least favorite so far.

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Perhaps it's for fans of Rick Leonardi's artwork. I know that's the only reason that I'm buying it.

alistaircrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Batgirl was the best of the Convergence issues. I've waited years for Steph to reclaim the Batgirl identity and book from Barbara. Here's the thing: Convergence is for long-time readers like me, not newbies.There's no need to set anything up because most of the people reading Convergence know who these characters are. DC also provided handy character guides at the back of each issue to get you up to speed, so if you didn't know who Stephanie Brown was, you should have read the profile pages.

The book also establishes these events take place a year after Flashpoint. Gotham was plucked from its time right before Flashpoint, and now a year has passed under the dome.

Stephanie Brown is a great character and a much better Batgirl than Barbara Gordon. So is Cassandra Cain. This book made it clear, and also serves as a nice continuation of Steph's Batgirl series. Reading this book was a delight, and I could feel the weight of history in all of the Convergence issues, something sorely lacking in the New 52.

theMightyMODOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Stephanie Brown is a great character and a much better Batgirl than Barbara Gordon. So is Cassandra Cain.

I am not amused.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@alistaircrane: Regardless of your point about the lack of need for accessibility, the dialogue was still cringe-worthy, and the art was still a hot mess.

So, no, in fact. This is not "the best of the Convergence issues," no matter how much you like Steph or how excited you are to see her in the Batgirl suit again.

The three central characters in the book are some of my absolute favorites. When the solicit first dropped, I was for sure gonna pick this up. But then the preview came out. Now, I know it hurts like hell that this is the only book where we'll be seeing Pre-Flashpoint Tim, Steph, and Cass, and for it to be such garbage is heartbreaking. But just because you're a fan of certain characters doesn't mean you can't be critical of their appearances, no matter how few and far between they are.

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Didn't care for the artwork. Found the facial expressions to be off. Kept me wondering, how does Batman pee on those long nights of patrol.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea, this was sort of boring. My least favorite so far.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this was by far the best convergence issue. i dont even know much about batgirl and i was amazed by how much i loved this issue.

hiddeninhell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Those are pretty solid points but I'd say that it's not really any of the basic ideas behind the story. It's simply an issue born from trying to cram to much stuff into one issue (pun not intended).

If it weren't for the flow of the whole event it could have been a much better standalone or tie in mini-series if everything were spread around 3 to 6 issues.

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
    QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was OK, really wasn't keen on the artwork though

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Those are pretty solid points but I'd say that it's not really any of the basic ideas behind the story. It's simply an issue born from trying to cram to much stuff into one issue (pun not intended).

If it weren't for the flow of the whole event it could have been a much better standalone or tie in mini-series if everything were spread around 3 to 6 issues.

That's certainly a solid problem as well, but I really did not like the dialogue or art at all either.

I guess your mileage just varies on what you consider to be the biggest issue with this book.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

I had been looking forward to this and was upset I wasn't able to get it. Based on what I'm hearing here and elsewhere, doesn't sound like I missed much.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the only problem I've been having with some of these Convergence books is that they're supposed to be taking place right after all of their books ended but there's so many continuity issues going on that they almost feel like complete alternate realities not the Pre Flashpoint reality. Like Tim's costume, Dick back as Nightwing andJai West still having his powers. I was hoping for more closure out of these books but it feels like we're going to get a few issues of them then they're gone forever again and that feels more like a tease than anything else. I don't want to get the enjoyment out of reading these characters that I have severely missed then having them pulled away again.

the_comebacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

I was underwhelmed by this one. The art wasn't great. While I liked Stephanie's occupation, I think they could have shown her personality more.

veronicacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why not call Bryan Q Miller to write? DC screw up this

Avatar image for 51stpresidentofplanetneutral
    51stPresidentofPlanetNeutral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

I never really took to Stephanie Brown, but this kind of slow start is uncharacteristic for a lot of the books she tends to headline. Slow still, yes, but not as slow and haphazard this was.

KASPERCOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I wanted to like this issue, but the poor art kind of ruined it for me. The story overall was not bad. But it felt like someone said "wouldn't it be cool to see pre-52 Steph,Cassandra, and Red Robin together again? Someone put a decent script together melding these characters."

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sad to see most of you didnt like it, but it was my favorite of the lot

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: I thought it was pretty good personally,loved seeing Brown and Red Robin,and just basically having her feel like Batgirl again!

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wanted to like this but there was so no rythm to the story. It felt all over the place.

Far too much dialogue for my liking.

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This terrible issue made me question how well Im going to enjoy the convergence concept as a whole

HopeOnFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HopeOnFire

Cassandra's dialogue was too chatty and weird for me, as well as the part of her wanting to eat the guinea pig. Hello? This is the girl who went leaping to the rescue of a sewer rat. All life is important to her.

Also, part of me gave up when Cass chose Stephenie to be Batgirl/the champion instead of going out as Batgirl herself. The girl was a more kickass BG compared to Steph.

Tattacus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And I have both covers on the way....oh dear.

OUTBREAK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so glad I skipped this the whole reason I did was cuz the art work WAS HORRIBLE

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

NYBreezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NYBreezy

@hopeonfire said:

Cassandra's dialogue was too chatty and weird for me, as well as the part of her wanting to eat the guinea pig. Hello? This is the girl who went leaping to the rescue of a sewer rat. All life is important to her.

Also, part of me gave up when Cass chose Stephenie to be Batgirl/the champion instead of going out as Batgirl herself. The girl was a more kickass BG compared to Steph.

This. I only pick up this issue because of Cass but the issue was underwhelming. Cassandra really should have stayed as Batgirl considering how much I love her relationship with Bruce, how much she loves Gotham, and how she redefine the title Batgirl and being one of the best martial artist in DCU. Steph will always be "not good enough".

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Koays  Online

@sodamyat: I liked it too.

Same.

Dialogue was a little rough, but it holds its own among the other titles and does the most to establish what led to the characters current place.

gandalf2013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I liked this issue, it spent time on character development not just "bang, crash." I want to see how this story plays out.

your_navigator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Am I the only one offended by the fact that people think Steph was a match for Tim? In what universe was Steph ever as good as Tim?

I like Steph, but that's an insane statement to make.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.