Follow

Constantine

Series »

John Constantine, master of the occult, is our world's last line of defense against the supernatural. He fights to save the innocent, but is it too late to save himself?

Constantine Episode #112 "Angels and Ministers of Grace"

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

Note: The recap and review will contain spoilers for this episode

Recap

On this week's episode of Constantine, a woman approaches a seedly looking building and buys some drugs. She says her brother's funeral is tomorrow. She starts to inject, but all the lights go out, outside. Some sort of monster beats er down and injects her with the drugs. She seems dead, but wakes up when the police find her.

Manny pays John a visit. Manny sets the scrye map on fire to prove a point. Manny says it's a crutch. Chas "falls" on a screwdriver to head to the hospital. Zed and John spot the woman who O.D.d. Zed grabs her hand and gets some spooky visions. Zed has a seizure. She goes and gets an MRI. Chas and John go around the hospital. John checks out the ODd woman, who is now dead. John does some magic and says the body has no spark and even dead bodies usually have it.

Zed wakes up and meets Doctor Gaylan. The doctor tells her she has a tumor on her frontal lobe. Zed thinks it's causing her visions.

A man lays in bed reading and a janitor comes in and the man tells him to fix the light. The janitor makes his way to the supply closet and has a drink of some secret alcohol. The monster from earlier comes in and takes him out.

Manny appears to Constantine on the roof of the hospital as he's having a smoke. Constantine smashes a vile on the ground and Manny faints. John carves a symbol into his chest. Manny is trapped until the spell wears off. Manny tells John he loses all of powers while bound to a human body like this. John and Manny find the dead body and Manny is grossed out and starts puking. John finds a heart of darkness and Manny explains it all to John. John asks Manny to look up the people who died to see if there was a connection between them.

John heads back to the Mill to look for something. Chas gets the rundown on Zed and the tumor. John finds a fragment of the black diamond stored away. Chas holds the stone and it gives Chas black veins like the people who were touched by the monster. John has to shock Chas in order to get him to drop them.

John heads back to the hospital and catches Manny up on the black diamonds, while Manny deals with human emotion. Manny pushes John to talk to Zed. John is distant. Manny, in Dr Bob's body goes to visit Zed. She can tell that Dr Bob is not who he says he is. Zed has questions about her abilities.

Morris, the jerky guy, is told he can't smoke in his room. He leaves. John rushes in to find him. Meanwhile, Morris goes somewhere else to smoke and the monster comes after him. John rushes in and the monster knocks him out.

After John wakes up, he talks to Manny and finds that Gaylan is actually the killer. Gaylan goes into Zed's office and Zed says she's not going through with getting rid of the tumor. John enters in and confronts Gaylan. The black diamond is inside his body, a piece of shrapnel. Gaylan runs off. John is going to reverse the spell on Manny. Just as he does it, Gaylan, as a monster, appears. Manny shows up in his glory, with his wings, and tells Galyan it's time to go home. John says the heavenly light is the only thing that can fight dark matter. Gaylan disappears and the diamond inside him, goes into John's black diamond box.

Zed and John have a conversation and Manny shows up. Zed can see Manny. The two talk about Zed not getting the surgery.

No Caption Provided

Thoughts

The scene with Manny getting frisky with the nurse was a bit ridiculous. It's this weird attempt at bringing humor to the show. It's not needed and it's a moment that really took me out of the episode.

This was a bit of a tricky episode. I'm not too keen on episodes that are really stuck in a singular location like a room or a building. With last week's episode, it really worked, but moment to moment, I was only half in here. However, as a whole, the story is simple but works incredibly well.

There's not a lot that stands out as amazing, but it was a solid story, with solid interaction between characters, but I feel like sometimes, the writers have trouble writing four characters. Chas disappears towards the beginning and Manny takes his place.

This episode is more about developing Manny as a character more than anything else. We've seen him come down from the heavens and be a bit pompous. Here, he's, pun intended, really grounded here and finally gets to know what it feels like to do the ground level work. He gets to walk a mile in someone else's shoes.

The show does a great job at bringing in the mystical side of John's world. We get magical items, symbols, and spells in foreign languages throughout this episode. This episode was really a great entry-level episode that anyone could jump in and enjoy. It speaks to more new viewers than anything else as it gives them a taste of what this show is like, without delving too deep into the show's mythos.

It's not a huge stand out episode or something that delivers some jaw dropping moments, but this episode of Constantine was incredibly solid. We get some great development from Zed, who started out this season as clueless and many times nothing more than a wall for John to climb over each episode. She's come into her own and while she wasn't a huge part of this episode, her story was still very compelling. In addition, adding Manny to the episode created some cheap and not so funny laughs, but all-in-all, it was great to see him here the entire time. However, a decent episode of Constantine is better than a good episode of a few other shows that got picked up for another season... Am I bitter this hasn't been picked up for a second season? Very much so. Overall, this was a good and entertaining episode.

Next week, Papa Midnight returns! In the season (and seemingly series, but not 100% yet) finale.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I liked this one. Getting to see Manny put in his place was fun and made for a good team up. I enjoyed the black diamond, wish we would have seen Eclipso though.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

I liked this one. Getting to see Manny put in his place was fun and made for a good team up. I enjoyed the black diamond, wish we would have seen Eclipso though.

Yeah. Me too. I have a feeling that is a setup to Eclipso in the second season, which we probably won't get

WilliamYates8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There are rumors this will go to SyFy. Which I'd be okay with, don't need nice special effects for a good Constantine show.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By mak13131313

I enjoyed this episode. The scenes with Manny and Zed were pretty good. And when they showed the scenes for next weeks episode they said "season finally, not series finally". So hopefully they see the light and renew the show.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I really hope we get a second season

#SaveConstantine

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 the_stegman  Moderator

I feel like I'm about to drop this show. It just doesn't interest me. I still haven't finished last week's episode.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I feel like I'm about to drop this show. It just doesn't interest me. I still haven't finished last week's episode.

I dropped it two episodes ago and only reason I even kept watching was Matt Ryan's performance as COnstantine.

I wanna support and like the show, but just end up getting bored.

~MiB

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By dernman

The show was starting to grow on me.

hiimsmart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this show and I think Matt Ryan is a perfect Constantine. I heard rumors of this show possibly going to CW, which made me laugh a little because then Supernatural would most likely lose fans.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny how they're finally showing Constantine smoking every chance they get when before it was like John quit just when the show started.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This show is way better than Gotham, and easily on par with Flash and Arrow. The only reasons why it's struggling for a second season when Flash and Gotham aren't is because it doesn't have anything to do with Batman, it isn't connected to another popular show, and it got screwed over with that initial 10 pm slot. I really want this show to survive, but if it doesn't, please DC, sell it somewhere else!

Avatar image for comicvine_is_jericho529
    comicvine_is_jericho529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A hellblazer series on HBO would be awesome

i wish some awesome Producer who is a fan of the series would take over and take it to either HBO or AMC

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

last scene was really well done. I think im in love with Zed.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 the_stegman  Moderator

@madeinbangladesh: Yeah, Matt is the best part, he's a great Constantine. But every thing else is lacking. Bland plots, humor isn't very funny, and I just don't care about Zed or taxi guy.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I just hope SyFy pick this up if NBC doesnt renew it at all. Matt Ryan did a great job in potraying Constantine, I hope DC/WB and Del Toro considered him for a bigger role in the Dark Universe film if ever. I feel so sad to see a good show go.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By NightFang3

@inferiorego said:

@longbowhunter said:

Yeah. Me too. I have a feeling that is a setup to Eclipso in the second season, which we probably won't get

I have the feeling "grounding" Manny is gonna have repercussions for John, like Manny's superiors replace him with another angel who won't put up with any of Johns crap.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By longbowhunter

@nightfang: I could definitely see that being a plot point if this went past one season.

LordDarkFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

If this is going to CW, then we will have some wacky-crazy crossovers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@longbowhunter:

We got Felix Faust maybe in future we will have Eclipso.

ohrenclez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Please let the show got to CW...as we've seen with arrow and the flash they can handle the different tones incredibly well, and a crossover with constantine would be soooo amazing... one can always dream of a big shared dctv-universe

Anyway...i hope this show gets to continue in some form!

#SaveConstantine

Astro_Zombie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AMC should pick this show up, now that would be awesome.

Jbreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another good showing.

Feeling pretty nervous about whether the show will be picked up for a second season. The show definitely has the quality there, I just think the network it is on needs to get behind it a bit more.

Avatar image for darkseid_beyond
    Darkseid_Beyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Darkseid_Beyond

DC/WB have a pretty amazing set up which will most likely never actually go anywhere and it saddens me. They actually have the opportunity to combine their TV and Cinematic universes by doing a Crisis on Infinite Earth's storyline. We already had Crisis teased in the Arrow/Flash universe because we've seen the future news paper article stating "Flash Missing. Vanishes in Crisis". On Constantine we have this mysterious darkness which continues to rise, which is most likely the Great Darkness. This means that both shows can exist as separate universes but could still possible cross over. DC did say they could acknowledge the Multiverse and I think it would be neat if they used the TV Series to build up this massive Crisis and then see them all cross over with each other, as well as the DCCU, in one big movie.

I'd love to see that and I know I'm not the only one to consider it.

IAmTheCrowning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This episode was great, and I hope the rumors of it getting picked up by SyFy are true, although I'd prefer the CW.I thought the scene with Manny and the nurse was funny, plus it helped Manny experience the temptation of lust humans deal with...wether on nbc, cw, syfy, hbo or any other network, I hope thus gets picked up for a 2nd aeason.Love this show.Save Constantine.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.