Follow

Constantine

Series »

John Constantine, master of the occult, is our world's last line of defense against the supernatural. He fights to save the innocent, but is it too late to save himself?

Constantine: Episode 107 - "Blessed Are the Damned"

• 50 results
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

Warning: There are some spoilers in the recap portion. You have been warned.

On this week's episode of Constantine, a pastor from a snake handling religious sect comes back to life after dying from a snake bite. He then has the ability to heal people, like giving a one legged man his leg back. Zed has visions of snakes. Constantine and Zed head to Kentucky to investigate the pastor. They discover that the pastor has no bad intentions, but since he's connected to the Scrye map, something bad has to be going on. The church is a front for something darker.

There's something sinister with the people the pastor is healing. Nate, the man whose leg was healed, has killed two people and the police are looking for him.

After a talk with Manny, Constantine and Zed discover an angel on Earth. There's something evil inside of them now. The angel tells them that when she, the angel, was taking a mortal to heaven but he pulled a feather from her wing and she fell to Earth. Constantine and Zed know they need to get the feather back.

Constantine confronts the pastor about the feather. Something blasts Constantine with a force. Crazy Nate makes his way to the camp and attacks Zed, but Constantine saves the day. The angel tells Constantine and Zed that more will turn if they don't act now.

Zed gets the feather back, but it's too late, the crazies are coming! Constantine finds that the pastor had a mortal sin on his conscious and he was going to hell. The angel is fallen and she has her feather back. Constantine finds that the angel planned this all to come to Earth. The angel holds Zed hostage so Constantine will reverse a protection spell. Manny steps in and helps, killing the fallen angel.

No Caption Provided

There's only one real problem I had with this whole episode. How come Chas or Zed are always off doing something else in quite a few episodes? Why can't all three of these characters ever work together? Are the writers capable of writing three characters at the same time? Ok, that may be a little mean, but there's a chance to build a great team dynamic here. Zed has come a long way from being a moral roadblock to actually standing out on her own, and Chas is pretty dang awesome.

Even moving forward from there, Manny is a huge part of this episode and although only Constantine can see him, he's important to the story and a guiding voice. He's actually a character to look forward to every week, even though he spends most of the time frustrating Constantine because he's not supposed to interfere, even though in this episode, he has to.

Zed really grew on me, in this episode. She's shown she has worthwhile capabilities in the past, but she's a big part of this whole episode. Without her, the angel never would have gotten her feather back... Wait... that's actually a good thing. Nevermind. I actually enjoyed her few moments with Constantine, discussing angels and religion in general. This was the first time in the season where I feel like she was written really well and not just as a piece of scenery with a mouth. Yes, that's harsh but 100% true.

This week's story was my second favorite story of the season, but as far as overall execution goes, this was the best of the season. Blessed are the Damned really keeps the viewer on their toes. There's lots of great twists here and it's not just for shock value. Everything is carefully set up in the beginning and as we go on, we learn more and more about what's happening. The story tells itself naturally to the audience and it's incredibly smooth.

Matt Ryan deserves more credit for his work as John Constantine. He's really captured that character, even though some things have been watered down a little bit between HELLBLAZER and the NBS show. He has the cynic tone down perfectly, but he always delivers the quick one-two jokes extremely well. Ryan's performance is the strongest on the show. This was great casting and Ryan just dominates the screen every week.

Blessed are the Damned is the best episode of the season, thus far. I'll try not to get all angry again about the bad time slot, the non promotion, and the terrible night this show is on again, but oops, too late. Constantine stands tall as one of the best comic book adaptation shows on right now and that's saying a lot since the deck is so stacked. The show could easily reach out and grab a mainstream audience because of the mass appeal. Here's to hoping it doesn't get cancelled... Seriously, I want a second season.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Had to miss this, but I can't wait to watch :)

#SaveConstantine

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

That relic sitting next to where John placed the angel's heart looked an awful lot like the Medusa Mask.

Willza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

So I just watched the first episode and felt it was kind of bad. Should I persevere? Does it take long to get good? I like the concept and the character, it just felt very... bad TV vibe, y'know?

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I'll admit, I liked this one.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I love the twist with the angel at the end :)

Like I said, I actually love character with a wing but for some reason I never care for Hawkman (due to his complicated origins, due to writers write him and his personality etc). I actually like Zauriel in Grant Morrison JLA

Avatar image for oladipo_aregbesola
    oladipo_aregbesola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

loved the twist in this episode I genuinley didn't see it coming I might watch the previous episodes that I missed now

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CONSTANTINE!!!!!!

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

This was another great episode. I have loved every episode of this show and this one really brought a lot of character to Manny. So excited to see where all of this is going.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

deadcool_XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11  Edited By deadcool_XD

Had to miss this, but I can't wait to watch :)

#SaveConstantine

save constanine. The show most go on!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13 the_stegman  Moderator

@willza92: The show is very mediocre to me. I can understand the bad ratings.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really dug this ep

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Hey he actually smoked in this episode!

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

That relic sitting next to where John placed the angel's heart looked an awful lot like the Medusa Mask.

THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT!

Avatar image for tylerdurden7272
    TylerDurden7272

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TylerDurden7272

Awesome episode. Idk what I like more, Flash or Constantine. I love the way the Flash is executed and the effects but I love Constantine's character more and he's like my 6th favorite comic book character in general.

Hey he actually smoked in this episode!

He's actually been smoking in almost every episode. They just keep it really subtle. It's kind of like a Stan Lee cameo. You just gotta look for it. Sadly that means he won't chain smoke and no dangerous habits but at least they allow him to smoke just for the fans. My biggest hope is that a better company buys this show like Netflix.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@testament: No in ever ep he's had a cig in his hand or be stumping one out but in this one he actually had it in his mouth, took a puff then flicked it.

Avatar image for tylerdurden7272
    TylerDurden7272

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@testament: No in ever ep he's had a cig in his hand or be stumping one out but in this one he actually had it in his mouth, took a puff then flicked it.

Yea that's true but I think in last week's episode I saw him smoking too. Idk, all I know is, if Netflix took over the rights, we wouldn't be p*ssy footing around something that is extremely important to his character. If you know what I mean

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@testament: Haha you don't have censor pussy in that context :)

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

starting to really like the show.

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This ep was amazing!

Night_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a great episode, and it's so good to see all the main cast really coming into their own. Really hoping it doesn't get cancelled.

Radx_Konkin75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Radx_Konkin75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love this show. Constantine is my favorite DC character.

#SaveConstantine

ForeverMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've found this show to be not be pretty meh so far, but this was definitely the best episode since the premiere. Hopefully it stays on track for the next handful of episodes and gets extended.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Loved it!

vasu12360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

save constantine..........but how?

AMajorDoubter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was my favorite episode of the series so far.

The first 2 episodes were clunky, essentially two pilots, but from then on the show has been rolling, and I do not see it stopping. Particularly with the winter finale and what's coming there.

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
    feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was so good. Creepy church stuff is the best.

being_ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any hints on the religious guy at the backseat in the end? Maybe from the Zed's past coming back to haunt her?

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

such an amazing episode

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It's actually my favourite episode

Dapperpomade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couldn't agree more with your review Mat. This episode was a fantastic step towards the final act of the Rising Darkness. The scene with Manny asking Imogen about what it's like to be corporeal and the fight scene in the church were brilliant. The ending was a great twist too, loved it :) As always, Matt Ryan nails the role, and had some wicked lines delivered. He is perfect as John Constantine. Out of all the DC shows on TV, this is my #1. Here's to a season 2! Next week features one of my favorite demons from John's past, Invunche :)

kevinn111111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I was watching this episode and thinking, damn that fallen angel looks so pretty in black ^_^

Loki2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good episode, although I would like to see them start fleshing out the rising darkness a bit more. They just keep mentioning it and I think its time to start putting in some teasers or characters that will be part of this conflict.

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@willza92 said:

So I just watched the first episode and felt it was kind of bad. Should I persevere? Does it take long to get good? I like the concept and the character, it just felt very... bad TV vibe, y'know?

I personally think it gets better after the first couple of episodes. It's not blowing my mind but I am quite enjoying it.

cdw101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By cdw101

When is the Uk getting this?????

OUTBREAK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By OUTBREAK666

@vasu12360: watch it every Friday at 10pm and tell all your friends turn all your TVA in your house to the channel, go to nbc.com and open like 10 tabs and have a diff episode playing in each at the same time stuff like that

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.