silkcuts's Constantine review

• silkcuts wrote this review on .
  • silkcuts has written a total of 726 reviews. The last one was for

This is not my John Constantine

As a Movie this is a "Horror, action" movie.  If that is your thing then you may like it.  It is loosely based on the Comicbook series Hellblazer, where John Constantine is reimaged to accommodate viewers unaware of his Shadowy, shady comicbook character.

Because John Constantine has evolved from once being a "Sting" (the British pop-star) look-a-like, to an American in this movie, this movie turns away almost as much fans as if brings in. Part of the reason I believe this movie went the American "Gunslinger" Occult Detective is because of rumors of Cal McDonald ( Criminal Macabre) being in works as a movie as well.  Cal McDonald is a character created by Steve Niles (30 Days of Night) and John Constantine was part of the inspiration for the character. I feel DC was protective of this and made John out of character in this movie, so he can be released first.

Ultimately this is movie has action, drama, monsters and Demons, all expected from a Constantine movie.  What fails is that the movie is not a proper representation of the Character because John Constantine still smokes and does not have a holy shotgun.  This movie felt more like Cal McDonald being Cal John "ConstanTEEN" the whole time.

If you have no attachment to the real Constantine, this movie is a great action flick.  If you like the classic British John beware.
Cheers
- Silkcuts

Posted by Liberty

I really like the honesty and professionalism of this review.

Posted by Silkcuts
@Liberty:  Thanks :D
Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir

I have a similar feeling towards the film version of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, while it's by no mean an accurate depiction of the comic , it is a solid action film and fine to kill an hour or two.

Posted by Halfdead