inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

John Constantine was a mainstay over at Vertigo with HELLBLAZER, and while the New 52 CONSTANTINE had both great and not-so-great moments, it seemed to miss capturing some of the elements of the character. From the first issue alone, of CONSTANTINE: THE HELLBLAZER, there's more of an adult element here, which is a nice touch since it doesn't feel like the character is being held back and it feels a bit more like the Constantine fans know from the Vertigo run.

Constantine isn't the easiest character to just dive right into, for readers, but what Ming Doyle and James Tynion IV do insanely well is make this first issue more of a Constantine 101 than anything else. We're getting a great feel for who this character is and what he's all about. We're dealt a whole-heaping pile of John's personality here. The reader is also introduced to the world and what John can see as well, and it just gets weirder and weirder from there. Doyle and Tynion do a stellar job at reintroducing this character to the DCU.

Great to see Riley Rossmo and Ivan Plascensia working on this book together. They just came off a great run with the first volume of RASPUTIN and while their art doesn't feel "adult," it's a nice contrast for situations when you see someone covered in blood. And maybe it's because there's this familiarity with their art and ghosts, but Rossmo and Plascensia just feel write for this book. The weirder things get within the pages of the book, the more it feels right.

Readers are also treated to a cool two-page layout featuring ten, long, horizontal panels that have the reader holding the book sideways to read. Aside from the look of it being really cool, it creates an interaction between the reader and the comic that few books do, aside from the most recent time we've seen something like this with TRILLIUM. Doing something like this keeps the reader invested and on their toes.

The Bad

The book is a bit too sexual for my personal tastes. John is overly flirtatious with anyone around him. It's not too far off from moments we've seen in the Vertigo series, and it's nice to see this book embrace John as a bi-sexual (for all intents and purposes), but the intense flirtation John has with everyone put me off a tad. I'm sure I'll get over my prudeness with issue #2.

The Verdict

The first issue of CONSTANTINE: THE HELLBLAZER is a promising one. It is extremely new reader friendly and brings the adult element back to the character and book. The first issue sets up an interesting story and the art here is pretty fantastic and fitting for the tone Doyle and Tynion are setting here. I cannot wait to see what's next for the character and find out why it's his fault all the ghosts that follow him are dying. I highly recommend checking this first issue out. It's extremely promising and a very solid issue.

strangetales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Interesting maybe I'll pick this up in trade if it's any good. I'm still working through Vertigos hellblazer right now otherwise I'd buy the single issues for this

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

The flirty stuff bothered me a bit too. But not as much as the massive text filled word balloons.

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Thought about buying it, just could not get into the art.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

This is the best appearance of John in any comic since Hellblazer finished. Granted that's not hard but it was pretty great.

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

"and while the New 52 CONSTANTINE had both great and not-so-great moments"

Well, I doubt it would make for a popular article, but I'd love to see a dissection of the highs and lows of that series. A look at the successes and pitfalls of trying to transition such a fundamentally "Vertigo" series into a mainstream title (that they were obviously really hoping would be an even more mainstream hit through the TV show).

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I very much agree with the flirting thing, that felt super out of place and distracting.

Also one minor nit pick I have is that John almost looks too good in this book, it doesn't suit him to look so clean and well put together.

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only one that was cool with the flirting? I was like:"Yeah, good. I like where this is going."

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Loved this, though I agree with the flirting. A bit overdone. Though it is nice to see John's bi-sexuality being explored.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I very much agree with the flirting thing, that felt super out of place and distracting.

Also one minor nit pick I have is that John almost looks too good in this book, it doesn't suit him to look so clean and well put together.

Well that was what he was like originally. Also the inspiration for his look here is Jimmy from Boardwalk Empire so I totally dig that.

No Caption Provided

Synack1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I thought the issue was very "talkie" for my taste. But can't complain about much else. Good art, interesting situations and characters.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@synack1138: A lot of the Vertigo Hellblazer's were very talkie. A lot of the time it was more to do with Constantine's views on the world rather than punching demons\angels.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

4 stars? wow mat cant believe you hated it

~MiB

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever said:

Well that was what he was like originally. Also the inspiration for his look here is Jimmy from Boardwalk Empire so I totally dig that.

No Caption Provided

Pitt is an amazing actor. He was fn awesome in Hannibal. He could have been the new joker

~MiB

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MadeinBangladesh
    staypuffed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

As soon as the Divergence preview for this came out, I knew this was a must-buy.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 the_stegman  Moderator

This comic was wordy as hell.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hated the flirting in red hood and the outlaws too. Tynion you naughty man.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

I quite liked this. The New 52 series was inconsistent at best and downright bad at worst so it's nice to see John handled a bit better in this issue. The story has me intrigued enough to buy the next issue but I'm with Mat on the flirting thing. It did seem a tad bit excessive but seeing them embrace John's sexuality so early in the series was really nice. As much as I enjoyed the story, it was the art that stole the show. Loved the art so much. Overall, a 4 star issue that definitely has me hooked.

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 2

I really enjoyed this. The flirting didn't bug me that much. Like others have said, it was nice to see a John Constantine comic book that flat out embraces his bi-sexuality. Instead of just dancing around it. The artwork was fantastic, and my only real complaint was that it was a lot to soak in. But that's usually how first issues are. Gotta let all the new readers play catch-up.

Nice to see a John Constantine more closer to the Vertigo one. Let's hope this John stays in his little corner of the DCU and isn't bogged down with constant crossover event tie-ins. That was the main flaw with the previous series. The occasional super-hero guest-star is fine, but that series relied so much on what other writer's were doing in other series that it never felt like it's own thing.

I'm definitely in for the next few issues. Let's see what this creative team can bring up to bat with one of my favorite comic book characters.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I read it in Matt Ryans voice. God... I miss him :(

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's everybody's beef with flirting?

Autopsad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I really enjoyed this. The flirting didn't bug me that much. Like others have said, it was nice to see a John Constantine comic book that flat out embraces his bi-sexuality. Instead of just dancing around it. The artwork was fantastic, and my only real complaint was that it was a lot to soak in. But that's usually how first issues are. Gotta let all the new readers play catch-up.

Nice to see a John Constantine more closer to the Vertigo one. Let's hope this John stays in his little corner of the DCU and isn't bogged down with constant crossover event tie-ins. That was the main flaw with the previous series. The occasional super-hero guest-star is fine, but that series relied so much on what other writer's were doing in other series that it never felt like it's own thing.

I'm definitely in for the next few issues. Let's see what this creative team can bring up to bat with one of my favorite comic book characters.

+1

"My" John seems to be back !!!

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i really dislike people who complain about comics that have more WORDS in them. Im sick and tired of paying for books that take me 3 minutes to breeze through.

cdw101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right, I enjoyed the issue, flirting wasn't too over the top.

But my complaints:

DC get your act together, if you are going to make hellblazer, and you put him in England then get things right!- We don't say cop over here- try using the word rozza, or at a push coppers!! ( plural) or even the police/pigs.

Secondly, the sandwich board- curry n chips- It says $ and not £ sign-come on!!! concentrate!!

Its just annoying, small things, we don't get Cap America going to a mall n purchasing a burger for £3!!!

Apart from that issue was nicely done and I agree with the 4 stars, artwork grew on me.

jas0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i really dislike people who complain about comics that have more WORDS in them. Im sick and tired of paying for books that take me 3 minutes to breeze through.

qft

Avatar image for anarrowintheheart10
    anarrowintheheart10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

haven't picked that up yet but as a fan of the character and of the creative team that's definitely going into my list.

BenStark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rossmo is in the art! I'm in!

dark-knight19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cdw101: Are we sure he is actually in England? The money in the wallet he stole was American dollars...

cdw101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dark-knight19: He mentions Chelsea which is in London England, is there a Chelsea in America?

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

@dark-knight19 said:

@cdw101: Are we sure he is actually in England? The money in the wallet he stole was American dollars...

Also, Curry + Chips for $12.

Intriguing first issue, still not fully sold on the series but will keep reading for a couple of issues, at least, and see where this is going. Rossmo's sketchy art is definitely helping. I hadn't read (or watched at) any of Riley's stuff since Bedlam. Where'd he been all this time?

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cdw101 said:

@dark-knight19: He mentions Chelsea which is in London England, is there a Chelsea in America?

I thought he said something about being in Manhattan. Anyways my only problem with the flirting was the bartender reciprocating it. It seemed odd to me to mention his kids living with their mom (I'm guessing his ex) and then to have him dive right into flirting with John. I get the bartender could be bi as well, but maybe that should've been more clear. I was expecting him to get mad when John started hitting on him. That's just me though

KillaKass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I despised the way that curse words were censored.

pixelphantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

From a interview I listened to with Ming Doyle (Comic News Insider episode 614), John's in New York the first issue, so yea, everything's in dollars. And yes, there's a Chelsea in Manhattan ;)

Really have no idea what the issue with flirting is - I thought it was great, and embracing his bi-sexuality was also totally fresh and modern. I loved Rossmo's art in Rasputin so I was very excited to see him tackle this first issue. Definitely into the return of a darker vibe, Ming was saying she's trying to push the limits; I wonder how much they'll get away with given the Teen+ rating. Will definitely keep my eye on this one!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.