Root for the Bad Guy: Condiment King

• 62 results
Posted by G-Man (37611 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone loves a cool bad guy. We usually cheer for the heroes but everyone once in a while it's fun to lower our inhibitions and actually root for the bad guy.

There are many big name villains that get loads of attention such as Joker, Venom, Darkseid, etc. Last month we started taking a look at some of the lesser villains with a focus on Spot.

This month we will continue by looking at another villain that won't get his own action figure anytime soon despite his ingenuity at creating a somewhat original theme. Let's spice things up a little and take a look at the Condiment King.

== TEASER ==

Condiment King actually first appeared in Batman: The Animated Series and was created buy Bruce Timm and Paul Dini. With creators like those, there has to be some potential in the character. His first appearance in comics occurred in BATGIRL: YEAR ONE written by Chuck Dixon and Scott Beatty.

We don't really know much about Condiment King's origin before he took on his costumed career. In the comics, Mitchell Mayo came up with the idea to take different types of condiments as his weapons. It may sound like an absurd idea but you have to admit it's not one that anyone else would think about.

Condiment King wasn't taken seriously. It turned out that during a stint at Arkham Asylum, Poison Ivy taught him a little about using different spices in his mixtures. This is when Robin (Tim Drake), Ted Kord and Black Canary realized how potentially dangerous he could be. No one would consider getting shot with condiments as hazardous but it was noted that Condiment King's guns could cause anaphylactic shock. Unfortunately this still wasn't enough for him to be taken seriously.

He was taken seriously by General Immortus as he was brought into his group of second-string villains and given a slight upgrade in his weaponry. His time with Immortus didn't last long as Human Flame and Condiment King had a brutal falling out. Let's just pretend that didn't happen since the "New 52" has reset some events and character histories.

The idea of shooting ketchup, mustard, mayo, etc might seem like a joke but the fact that most wouldn't take him seriously gives him a little edge. When he is seen by the heroes, they would most likely let their guard down. This could give him the opening needed to win the day. With the knowledge he gained from Poison Ivy and the fact that buying his supplies would be easy, he wouldn't have a problem replenishing his ammunition.

It's time for Condiment King to reclaim his throne as a true villain. But then, he never really had a throne to begin with. Let's give this saucy villain a chance to rise to the challenge of being a true villain. It's clear he would relish the chance to move up in the ranks of comic book villainy. Besides, how many times do we want to see the same old villains?

#1 Posted by CombatSpoon86 (832 posts) - - Show Bio

Condiment King. Takes me back. I would cringe at getting hot mustard in my eyes.

#2 Posted by saoakden (1075 posts) - - Show Bio

This guy sounds like an idiot.

#3 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Love it , lol totally remember him and couldn't help but like him for how stupid he was. Pleeease do Trapster next!

#4 Posted by darkrider (462 posts) - - Show Bio

poor guy he is dead now

#5 Posted by VictorGrey (13472 posts) - - Show Bio

Never heard of him, thats why I can sleep at night.

#6 Posted by NightFang (10193 posts) - - Show Bio

This video says it all.

#7 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

I just love the condiment King, he was such a fun character! ;)

that's the kind of thing I miss in the new DCU...so dark and gritty...no place for simple "fun"!

#8 Posted by cbishop (8850 posts) - - Show Bio

I mayo may not have needed to ketchup on this villain, but I mustard chuckled to myself at least once. Tomato pun of it is something olive to do, but they maybe artichoke the guy who came up with a villain whose greatest crime is a salt with pepper spray. This villain could be butter, but he's barely margarine-al - certainly not the toast of villainy. ;D

#9 Posted by Red Rum (357 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the idea of Condiment King.

I came up with an alternate version of him as a Yakuza assassin disguised as a sushi chef, who uses sharpened chopsticks and various sushi condiments mixed with poisons.

#10 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

The puns....OH GOD THE PUNS!!! IT HURTS!!!

#11 Posted by feebadger (1445 posts) - - Show Bio

Ever had wasabi in your eye? Then BEHOLD THE POWER OF THE CONDIMENT KING! If he doesn't come back in the New 52 with a twelve issue maxi series and spin off animated show, then i just don't think DC know what the HELL they're doing!

#12 Posted by G-Man (37611 posts) - - Show Bio

@feebadger:

#13 Posted by RazzaTazz (9698 posts) - - Show Bio

The Scoville Scale!

#14 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

He should never be a "serious" villain. Why does the villain have to be serious? He can be "dangerous enough" without being serious, but they should never "Dr. Light" him. The character as is is charming and silly and enjoyable.

#15 Posted by longbowhunter (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like Condiment King would be a perfectly valid nemesis for Artie the Strongest Man in the World.

#16 Posted by The Finality (133 posts) - - Show Bio

I uust googled "anaphylactic shock". That seems really scary. What I think Condiment King should do is mix different hazardous chemicals in with his base form of condiments. So like a ketchup that upon contact with air is highly flammable, or mustard that becomes a quick acting acid. Or a mayo that coalesces into a hard drying cement or paste to entrap enemies.

#17 Posted by GothamRed (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

If i had to pick one superpower or gimmick, this would be it

#18 Posted by supermanprime6 (111 posts) - - Show Bio

When I see characters like these, it makes me want to stop reading comics all together.

#19 Posted by RazzaTazz (9698 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked his reimagining in Birds of Prey

#20 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

If he teams up with Poison Ivy again, then he could become a real threat, try eating a hot dog with poisonous pickles or something like that. Also spraying anything in someone's eyes does temporalily blind them and gives Condiment King time to escape a fight.

#21 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man said:

@feebadger:

"Yo, wasabi"?

That is painful.

Undoubtedly more painful than any attack he's actually dishing out.

#22 Posted by jewunit (22 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter said:

I feel like Condiment King would be a perfectly valid nemesis for Artie the Strongest Man in the World.

Perfect. I love this idea.

Thanks for continuing this feature. I can think of no more appropriate villain for April than this guy. He is such a unique and silly character.

I enjoy seeing the trajectory of these weird villains. I remember Condiment King from Batman: The Animated Series, but I always thought he was a villain before then. The Poison Ivy augmentation is a pretty great idea too.

#23 Posted by War Killer (20374 posts) - - Show Bio

This is example of people taking the question, "What's the lamest super-power?" and actually trying to answer it. The irony is that it actually makes for a great and wacky story that may not put them up there with the likes of Joker or Doctor Doom, but you got to give these type of characters credit for being original. xD

#24 Posted by The Stegman (25451 posts) - - Show Bio

Man,I wish he was in the New 52 Suicide Squad, he'd be awesome

#25 Posted by Decept-O (7284 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice use of the word relish, G-Man.

Perhaps Condiment King needs to "ketchup" with the other villains? He may or "mayo" not be able to do it. At the end of the day, he probably won't be able to "cut the mustard".

#26 Posted by One_Eye (783 posts) - - Show Bio

I remembered seeing the episode in which Condiment King appeared, heh, if anything my friend and myself used to make jokes about an origin story, movie, and poster featuring Alex Ross- style art! But I never would've imagined that he'd appear in the comics..O_o

#27 Posted by Kairan1979 (16896 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

Man,I wish he was in the New 52 Suicide Squad, he'd be awesome

He'll be perfect Red Shirt for Suicide Squad.

#28 Posted by CrimsonTempest (307 posts) - - Show Bio
@feebadger said:

Ever had wasabi in your eye? Then BEHOLD THE POWER OF THE CONDIMENT KING! If he doesn't come back in the New 52 with a twelve issue maxi series and spin off animated show, then i just don't think DC know what the HELL they're doing!

Yes! Make it happen DC!
#29 Posted by Owie (3866 posts) - - Show Bio

I love characters like this.

In this vein, in Marvel Adventures Spider Man, Spidey beat Baron Mordo by squirting him with ketchup and mustard, annoying him so much he couldn't keep his attention on his spell-casting.

#30 Posted by Novaar (56 posts) - - Show Bio

Totally agree about the comment about why does every villian have to be serious. Does every villian really need to have a serious agenda? There are enough people who are just plain odd in the real world. Take that to worlds that are overflowing with superhumans and you're going to get people copying them. I don't see any reason why somebody who is a bit of a loser can't be dangerous or why we shouldn't see how the heroes deal with them!

#31 Edited by MexFaletti (12 posts) - - Show Bio

@feebadger said:

Ever had wasabi in your eye?

No, but i had a large amount of that thing once in my mouth. Mistook it for avocado sauce. I for once took this guy seriously: He looks so silly that one could never expect him to be a serious threat until it's too late.

And btw, The Spot did had a figure:

#32 Posted by cbishop (8850 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbishop said:

I mayo may not have needed to ketchup on this villain, but I mustard chuckled to myself at least once. Tomato pun of it is something olive to do, but they maybe artichoke the guy who came up with a villain whose greatest crime is a salt with pepper spray. This villain could be butter, but he's barely margarine-al - certainly not the toast of villainy. ;D

@Decept-O said:

Nice use of the word relish, G-Man.

Perhaps Condiment King needs to "ketchup" with the other villains? He may or "mayo" not be able to do it. At the end of the day, he probably won't be able to "cut the mustard".

Seriously, man... get off my wavelength. lol ;P :D

#33 Posted by Croaker (296 posts) - - Show Bio

Condiment King and Music Meister should team up as the main villains in the next Arkham game.

#34 Posted by dvorak (187 posts) - - Show Bio

The question stands to be answered. Who does want some flavor?

#35 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

I had a little WTHeck moment when we had the Focus article on the Spot, cause I feel he's a great Spidey baddie. But I see why the King is getting this treatment, however you need baddies like this.

Oddly he makes me wanna read Batman, just for him.

#36 Posted by Joe Venom (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

I just love his bad puns xD

#37 Posted by Thor's hammmer (7184 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved this guy in Batman TAS

#38 Posted by Lvenger (21066 posts) - - Show Bio

The world of the supervillain needs goofy, ridiculous characters like him. Shame he hasn't shown up in the New 52 yet though. His time will come soon I'm sure.

#39 Posted by Makkaar1984 (35 posts) - - Show Bio

You mean this guy was real? I thought I just had a nightmare many years ago that I couldn't get out of my head!

#40 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember the animated episode when the Police Band mentions this guy on a rampage, and Batman says "It's going to be one of THOSE days." I LOLed.

#41 Posted by The Impersonator (5584 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting.

#42 Posted by JaneDoe (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Hahaha! I like Condiment King, he's totally amazing! (Hint of sarcasm)

#43 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

I could only truly take him seriously if he was voiced by Ted Raimi.

#44 Posted by cbishop (8850 posts) - - Show Bio

@Fuchsia_Nightingale said:

I had a little WTHeck moment when we had the Focus article on the Spot, cause I feel he's a great Spidey baddie. But I see why the King is getting this treatment, however you need baddies like this.

Oddly he makes me wanna read Batman, just for him.

I'm with ya on that - I think the Spot is a cool character, but I think we are in the minority on that. It probably has to do with the fact that Spider-Man laughed himself silly on their first encounter, and that The Spot is colored like a dalmation. I mean, give him a tail and a shiny red firehat, and Cruella De Vil is going to be looking for him.

#45 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

This guy is great.

#46 Posted by Emperormeister734 (827 posts) - - Show Bio
#47 Posted by SupermanJohnathanKentJr (300 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man said:

@feebadger:

HAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

#48 Posted by Watcherg6 (263 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter: He's From Iowa!

#49 Posted by cracker_jack (220 posts) - - Show Bio

How about the Joker? He dresses like a clown, shoots stuff from a fake flower pinned to his jacket, and laughs at everything.

#50 Posted by McClintick (25 posts) - - Show Bio

The nasty thing is his mayo was probably not really mayo if you know what i mean! now thats evil.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.