Follow

Comic Book Care

Concept » Comic Book Care appears in 52 issues.

Advice from other collectors on how to care for and store your books.

How are you preserving your books from aging?

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By tonis

*Note - This is a repost of my previous blog  focusing on preservation, the last title was too close to an older post in the forums about organizing. 

After you've sorted out what bag and box you're going to use there's additional details to consider before you seal things up. 
    Aside from an archival friendly backing board, there's a few things you can do to for those important books, especially when they pre-date before the 90's. 

It's no secret, before you had prestige formats and high gloss publications comics were printing on really crap paper. This paper 'breathes'  and when bagged will deteriorate the pages significantly over a decade without proper counter measures. With a Mylar bag this is even more an issue as the bag doesn't absorb a lot of the crap a poly bag does. It'll last 100's of years, but the paper inside will suffocate itself. 

The solution, acid absorption. You want to place a few sheets of archival paper between the books pages, its job is to collect all the garbage. These will need replacing every 2 to 5 years but your mylar, board, and book will have avoided significant aging and can last decades. 

I've tried 2 of these solutions so far. One being real archival paper cut to comic book size. This is great, but REAL expensive, you're not doing every book with it. 
    The alternative is using BCWSupplies 'extenders' for a general book. These aren't archival paper but claim to do the same job, and after 6 months of using them on some of my older books I can see it's collecting up some garbage. It's cheap enough that I've implemented it into at least 80% of my collection. 

Anyone using these in your prized books? If so, how long and how effective have your results been    

Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

Duly noted!

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By tonis
    @Edamame said:
    " @tonis: I give my books antioxidants.  ; ) "
    lol, that's better than I treat myself, much less my books :)
    tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By tonis
    @Edamame said:
    " @tonis said:
    " @Edamame said:
    " @tonis: I give my books antioxidants.  ; ) "
    lol, that's better than I treat myself, much less my books :) "
    LMAO Seriously though, I put all of my trades into those plastic covers that the comic book stores put on them.  "
    definitely sufficient for trades and pretty much all the newer books from the 90's on. Newer papers aren't too bad with the breathing. Wish I could say the same for all the pre 80's stuff I have.
    Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

#6  Edited By Queso6p4

@tonis: If I get pre-70s books I'll start doing this and let you know. Thanks for the tips in advance!

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tonis

@Queso6p4: your very welcome, it's worked great for all my silver and golden age material. Anything from the mid 80's or earlier is worth the effort as their values tend to far offset the costs. 70's and 60's stuff these days is like gold :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.