Why is Colossus so strong

#1 Posted by cattlebattle (12962 posts) - - Show Bio

I know, I know...its a comic and physics are abandoned when you open it, I am just asking for fun more or less

I mean he is made of an organic steel, so its understandable that he is invulnerable...Is it because of the saying "as strong as steel" just being taken in a more literal sense. I mean if he was just really strong when in his steel form, maybe enough to bench press a car or two, I would get it...Its extreme, but not overly insane. I just never understood why he would jump to the top strength class or whatever he is supposedly at by just turning into metal... from a writing standpoint, the X-Men aren't exactly going up against Hulk level guys all the time, so I would find it a bit unnecessary.

I know this question is just like asking "how come Flashes skin doesn't melt off when running so fast?" or "why doesn't Superman break toilets when he has a heavy flow?"....the strange thing, some writers actually try to explain stuff like this, So if anyone has ever given explanation for Colossus, I would like to hear it

#2 Edited by Rickbarry (1811 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: Well, from what I understand, Colossus rearranges his molecular structure when he transforms, shifting his flesh into something like osmium steel. I guess they just ran with him being exponentially more powerful as he was durable. What fun is a character he he can't dish the pain out as well? I will say that his durability has always been superior to his strength. He gets outclassed a lot with Hulk and above class characters, but can take their punishment as good as anyone else.

-Shrugs- You had it right in your post. He's an enormous chunk of Osmium steel! Super strength comes with the comparison.

#3 Posted by lectriccolossus (436 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rickbarry: thats one thing i've always loved about Colossus, his main power is his durability, a way i relate to him, being able to take alot of hardships in life, you know?

#4 Posted by RoboShark (1273 posts) - - Show Bio

Russian Vodka

#5 Posted by IKnowEverything (359 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoboShark: this lol

#6 Posted by Hyperlight (6159 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

I know, I know...its a comic and physics are abandoned when you open it, I am just asking for fun more or less I mean he is made of an organic steel, so its understandable that he is invulnerable...Is it because of the saying "as strong as steel" just being taken in a more literal sense. I mean if he was just really strong when in his steel form, maybe enough to bench press a car or two, I would get it...Its extreme, but not overly insane. I just never understood why he would jump to the top strength class or whatever he is supposedly at by just turning into metal... from a writing standpoint, the X-Men aren't exactly going up against Hulk level guys all the time, so I would find it a bit unnecessary. I know this question is just like asking "how come Flashes skin doesn't melt off when running so fast?" or "why doesn't Superman break toilets when he has a heavy flow?"....the strange thing, some writers actually try to explain stuff like this, So if anyone has ever given explanation for Colossus, I would like to hear it

speed force.. it protects him from all those natural forces of speed

#7 Posted by Kiddevil (7488 posts) - - Show Bio

As Pete said while kicking ord's a$$ " Rage... I... am... made... OF RAGE"

#8 Posted by w0nd (3702 posts) - - Show Bio

old but if he wasnt strong he wouldnt be able to lift his arms....like ultimate colossus

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.