Why don't people like Colossus being the Juggernaut?

#1 Posted by DATNIGGA (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

Cause

CYTTORAK SMASH!

I think hes bloody awesome

#2 Posted by ALdragon17 (126 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, becuase writers are the kill joy. :(

#3 Posted by God_Spawn (37907 posts) - - Show Bio

He became bald. Kidding, I like it. Without it, Pete really didn't have much going for him besides being a metal guy that punched things.

#4 Posted by Alch21 (210 posts) - - Show Bio

I think its cool too. The helmet does look weird thou in his non-demon form. Its like he has no neck or something.

#5 Posted by DATNIGGA (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: yeah Pretty much

@Alch21: true but doesn't he only form the helmet when hes in demon form though?

#6 Posted by Alch21 (210 posts) - - Show Bio

@DATNIGGA: By demon form i mean when he gets all spiky and muscly like in the OP.

#7 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

I kind of saw this as a cheap way to make Colossus into an edgier character. There were many different ways that they could have made Colossus into an edgier character like him losing a loved one.  Also, I think many people miss Cain Marko as being the Juggernaut and seeing Colossus as Juggernaut is not the same as Cain Marko being Juggernaut.  Although, I hope they do more with Colossus being the Juggernaut.

#8 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

He became bald. Kidding, I like it. Without it, Pete really didn't have much going for him besides being a metal guy that punched things.

nah, i preferred old juggs, and old pete, they should have given him some other role

#9 Posted by Rickbarry (1790 posts) - - Show Bio

@DATNIGGA: You're not alone. Colossus has always had a darker side especially after his return in astonishing. He was trapped in a cell for a year or two and torture, but writers always felt more comfortable keeping him as the gentle giant. Why? I suppose it's the easier way to write the character, but I've always wanted to see Colossus in a darker tone. The alter verse and Ultimate have done this and it's worked well. We're getting that here as he's headlining in a new title that will explore just how far they're willing to let him go.

Marvel is actually taking some chances and I love it.

#10 Posted by PrimeDirective (451 posts) - - Show Bio

IMO, Colossus and Nightcrawler lose their identities without each other. Seriously... Think about it. Kurt's characterization went downhill after Colossus died and several desperate attempts later to give him that lost characterization, he was almost completely irrelevant to the writers. Now Kurt is gone and I fear Pete is experiencing the beginning stages of this as well. Their friendship is one of the biggest parts about their characters that is so likable.

#11 Posted by Rickbarry (1790 posts) - - Show Bio

@PrimeDirective: That's a pretty big hit to his friendship, but he's lost Kitty and apparently Illyana now as well. He hasn't been on his own this much since he jumped over with Magneto.

#12 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio
@PrimeDirective said:

IMO, Colossus and Nightcrawler lose their identities without each other. Seriously... Think about it. Kurt's characterization went downhill after Colossus died and several desperate attempts later to give him that lost characterization, he was almost completely irrelevant to the writers. Now Kurt is gone and I fear Pete is experiencing the beginning stages of this as well. Their friendship is one of the biggest parts about their characters that is so likable.

I agree that Nightcrawler's character had sort of suffered too when Colossus died. I hope that they become friends again in the future if the real Nightcrawler ever comes back.
#13 Posted by Oscars94 (2521 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Colossus is a BAMF as Juggernaut! Have we seen Cain Marko go all Cyttorak-Demonnaut?!!!! If they both let loose him and Hulk could have an epic battle!

#14 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer Cain Marko as Juggernaut, mainly because I think that someone empowered by a demon should be a bad guy

#15 Posted by The_Peter_Cosmic (401 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the idea of Cyttorak deciding that heroes cause more destruction and overall smashing than a villain who is only seen every few months at best.

#16 Posted by Vance Astro (91238 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd rather him just get an upgraded and Cain be Juggernaut. I never liked Juggernaut.

#17 Posted by DATNIGGA (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog: They seem to be doing more with Colossus being juggernaut its an interesting to see him struggle with being a good guy when he has a dark force in him.. i wanna see where they take it

@Rickbarry: I love it too. I cant wait to see what he does in X force supposedly there getting hunted by the avengers... Not too sure how I feel about that (AvX made me dislike the avenger a little) but the fights & character development will be interesting

@Oscars94: they most likely will seeing as how Hulk is an Avenger again the green one is stronger than the red so I wonder who would win.. hulk keeps getting madder Cyttork keeps feeding Colossus power.. #Epic

#18 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it makes sense. We've had evil colossus enough times previously. He's the "knight in shining armor" archetype. He's the paladin. It makes sense that writers would want to invert that from time to time.

#19 Posted by Greendevil (2043 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

Agreed

#20 Posted by Bo88gdan (4405 posts) - - Show Bio

Colossus is awesome as a Juggernaut

#21 Posted by Vendel (352 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAcidSkull said:

nah, i preferred old juggs, and old pete, they should have given him some other role

Ditto.

#22 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see why they couldn't just further his mutation to have a similar effect, but with everything they are doing and are going to do the gem makes sense.

#23 Posted by Rickbarry (1790 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure if they need to further his mutation as when Colossus actually lets go he's able to hang with characters such as Hulk before the lame angry plot device amps him up to insane levels.

#24 Posted by allthatsgeek (127 posts) - - Show Bio

Short answer: Haters gon' hate.

I'm just along for the ride on this one.

#25 Posted by Mekunekud (4 posts) - - Show Bio

@Oscars94 said:

I think Colossus is a BAMF as Juggernaut! Have we seen Cain Marko go all Cyttorak-Demonnaut?!!!! If they both let loose him and Hulk could have an epic battle!

Different aspect of Cytorak I believe. Cain was better at maintaining control and was more about wanton destruction where as Piotr is more about the letting of blood as said in his fight under the sea against RULK. Cain was more grounded as a villain/anti-hero where as Colossusnaut would make a much better villain as a Hulk style enemy that once started is a pain to stop until you break through to Piotr.That is if he still has his power since I know that when they went and confronted Cytorrak with the Phoenix Force that he laughed them off while claiming that Piotr is the best avatar he has had in thousands of years.

#26 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

I am ok with it sine I felt this is the first step at showing how J2 came to be. It does make sense on the color scheme. it is opening for people to make a jokes calling him Colussnaut,Jugerssus, Jugercolusssus, colgernaut, Mr. shiny hardhat and more. I am not sure who will say it Spiderman or Deadpool

#27 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Gillen failed to make it work, like he did several other things and it was stupid ploy anyways. Brian Wood has shown that you don't need to callously shoehorn a demonic entity into a character to make them interesting or "edgy".

#28 Posted by Rickbarry (1790 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hazlenaut: My god...I never knew this J2 existed. It's the worst thing ever.

@AgeofHurricane: I blame AvX and Bendis undercutting him with All New X-men. Dude had eight issues or so before AvX began. Although I think Wood has done a great job with Colossus and even moreso with Storm, who had been lost in the mix for some time.

#29 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rickbarry said:

@Hazlenaut: My god...I never knew this J2 existed. It's the worst thing ever.

@AgeofHurricane: I blame AvX and Bendis undercutting him with All New X-men. Dude had eight issues or so before AvX began. Although I think Wood has done a great job with Colossus and even moreso with Storm, who had been lost in the mix for some time.

Yeeeeeaaaah, i'm STILL not buying it. Wood did more with Colossus in an arc than Gillen did in his entire run.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.