Uncanny X-men 18. Shame on you, Illyana! *Spoilers inside*

#1 Posted by Rickbarry (1744 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread will have spoilers of the latest issue of Uncanny. While I thought it was a pretty solid issue it was, without a doubt, the darkest issue released thusfar. You had Emma/Scott doing their creepy thing and the strange eagerness at Emma's confession of having an affair with Namor, but this is the Colossus forum and we'll focus on the strange twist that occured with him. Picture barrage!

So, aside from the revelation that they were imprisoned and are essentially criminals on the run, Illyana drops that bombshell that she used Piotr's unconditional love for her to corrupt his soul. I have to say that I'm having a hard time understanding why she'd choose to do such a thing. He's pretty much the only person in her life that treated her as a human being (since her return) and she used it against him so that he might understand her better? As you can see from the images Piotr didn't really take it all that well. I've no idea how this is going to shake out for Piotr, but unless something changes between him and his sister he's all by his lonesome. I feel bad for the big guy. He has a conscience the size of Texas and it's always being exploited. Gillen certainly makes for compelling storytelling, but I find myself wishing that they'd write some positive stories involving Piotr. Something horrible is always happening to him.

Anyone pick up the latest issue of Uncanny? Your thoughts?

#2 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

>__>

#3 Posted by danhimself (22217 posts) - - Show Bio

she's a nutball...that's why she did it

#4 Posted by JonSmith (3980 posts) - - Show Bio

Well... ****.

Illyana's crazy as a bag of cats. Though to be fair, after all the stuff she's gone through, insanity is kind of justified.

#5 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

The Phoenix made her do it

#6 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1005 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought this scene was great. I wonder what it's going to lead to. Seeing as Uncanny is cancelled, I hope whoever gets Magick and Colossus don't drop the ball with them.

#7 Posted by JohnnyGat (1561 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

But she didn't have the Phoenix Force when Colossus took the powers of the Juggernaut nor when she made the reveal to Colossus.

#8 Posted by kid Apollo (705 posts) - - Show Bio

whatre the chances that colossus will leave the X-fold in marvel NOW?

#9 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@JohnnyGat said:

@White Mage said:

But she didn't have the Phoenix Force when Colossus took the powers of the Juggernaut nor when she made the reveal to Colossus.

I know. I figured I'd blame the Phoenix in a similar manner that some people blame the devil.....the real answer is she's a psychotic manipulative little hag

#10 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7257 posts) - - Show Bio

Bloody heck, mate.

#11 Posted by Rickbarry (1744 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane: Illyana be trippin'. Mildly curious to see how this Uncanny run is going to end. I can't see it ending any other way, but dark and depressing.

#12 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

SHE IS THE REASON FOR MY COLOSSUS ANGUISH! Ok now that I have that out of my system I have to say it was a really intense moment and she seemes genuinely psycho which isn't always well portrayed in comics.

#13 Posted by allthatsgeek (127 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. Just wow all over. While I'm not surprised by this revelation, it is still shocking. Illyana hasn't been his "precious snowflake" for a long time, and I think Piotr really didn't WANT to accept it, that his baby sister was insane and just a little evil maybe.

@Rickbarry: You know what they say about nice guys finishing last? Colossus is the penultimate "nice guy" of the X-Men...

#14 Posted by Rickbarry (1744 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: I don't know if she's crazy as much as she's a sociopath. Either way she's kind of a loose cannon at the moment. I do wish better things would happen to the pair, but they're pretty interesting for the first time in years. Which I'm grateful for as you always see these characters and hardly ever hear from them.

@allthatsgeek: Indeed. I saw a few posts on Gillen's formspring or something. Apparently we're going to get some decent closure with these characters into the relaunch. Hopefully we see him a reconciliation or something that doesn't involve them trying to murder one another at their next meeting.

#15 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Gillen is terrible. He has no idea what he's doing. That writing was pathetically ham-fisted and Illyana being insane came out of freaking nowhere and is just a further example of Marvel pissing in the face of their fans.

#16 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rickbarry: I'm happy to see them and other X-Men get more panel time and focus. I'm curious what this means for him without his sister and Kitty he is more or less alone. Alone with the power of cyttorak gem...

#17 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

Illyana...v_v

#18 Posted by thespidey307 (177 posts) - - Show Bio

Poor Colossus. I'm curious to where this is going to lead.

#19 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Gillen is terrible. He has no idea what he's doing. That writing was pathetically ham-fisted and Illyana being insane came out of freaking nowhere and is just a further example of Marvel pissing in the face of their fans.

THANK YOU!!

#20 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

All of this is SO much worse when you imagine them talking in their Russian accents............it makes it horrendous, actually

#21 Posted by 244 (496 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

I have to disagree on that part: Magik has never had a healthy sense of self-esteem before. She was corrupted before and experienced torment and trauma. Even though she's human again, she still sees herself as a monster from the misdeeds she has committed as a demon. So in short, she's mentally damaged at this point.

#22 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7257 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

All of this is SO much worse when you imagine them talking in their Russian accents............it makes it horrendous, actually

LMAO.

That's actually facking hilarious, mate.

#23 Posted by God_Spawn (37180 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

SILENCE!!

#24 Posted by Rickbarry (1744 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

I think you're being way too hard on Gillen. Illyana has been on lockdown for well over a year as Scott still considers her a threat. This version of Illyana is a construct that was raised in Limbo. Even with regaining her soul she's going to have a few issues living with people. Besides they hired Bendis and relaunched the series after he was on issue 10 or something. He's gotta tie up these storylines as best he can before issue 20. Lord knows Bendis isn't going to do it. Just look at his god awful Bobby/Rogue dialogue at the beginning and in the middle of AvX 11.

@god_spawn: So Emma is a cannibal. Wtf. lol.

#25 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1005 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Dude, GIllen is one of the best writers Marvel has. He was handed crap and made it entertaining. And Illyana being insane did not come out of nowhere. She's been showing hints of being evil since she came back. In issue 9 of New Mutants she says, "I am the Darkchilde, the adopted Daughter of Belasco. I have the body and mind of Illyana Rasputin, but I have lost her soul. I am one who should not be."

#26 Posted by 244 (496 posts) - - Show Bio

@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Dude, GIllen is one of the best writers Marvel has. He was handed crap and made it entertaining. And Illyana being insane did not come out of nowhere. She's been showing hints of being evil since she came back. In issue 9 of New Mutants she says, "I am the Darkchilde, the adopted Daughter of Belasco. I have the body and mind of Illyana Rasputin, but I have lost her soul. I am one who should not be."

I see that as self-esteem issues more than how she's painting a bad picture for Emma.

#27 Edited by jubilee042 (1353 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@JohnnyGat said:

@White Mage said:

I know. I figured I'd blame the Phoenix in a similar manner that some people blame the devil.....the real answer is she's a psychotic manipulative little hag

she's really cute for psychotic manipulative little hag

#28 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

Illyana is just a delicious character.

#29 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@jubilee042 said:

@White Mage said:

@JohnnyGat said:

@White Mage said:

she's really cute for psychotic manipulative little hag

......................I still love her

#30 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

Awful. Absolutely awful.

#31 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

<3

#32 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

that b*tch lost it a long time ago. colossus is just too stupid and naive to believe it.

#33 Posted by God_Spawn (37180 posts) - - Show Bio

@theTimeStreamer said:

that b*tch lost it a long time ago. colossus is just too stupid and naive to believe it.

I blame the whales with legs. It's all their fault.

#34 Posted by Rickbarry (1744 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: He lives after AvX, God_Spawn! He also might be on the best team..ever.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=40999

#35 Posted by God_Spawn (37180 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rickbarry: =OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Why does he have hair? Does he lose his Juggernaut powers then or does he just learn to control them better? Cause I like the upgrade and I don't think they are done with it yet. He could do so much more with it.

#36 Posted by Rickbarry (1744 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: I'm pretty sure he has the juggernaut abilities unless they recon it after the launch. In the latest issue of Uncanny he still retained his uptown fade while being able to transform. Honestly, I think he'd still need to have it otherwise he wouldn't be on a team like this as they're going to be murderballing folks left and right. I love everything about this roster save the Nemesis redesign. He looks like a mortal kombat character.

#37 Posted by God_Spawn (37180 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rickbarry: Yeah, I just remembered that issue showed them post AvX 8. I just didn't pay much attention to it cause they were both still in Phoenix garb.

#38 Posted by 244 (496 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rickbarry said:

@god_spawn: I'm pretty sure he has the juggernaut abilities unless they recon it after the launch. In the latest issue of Uncanny he still retained his uptown fade while being able to transform. Honestly, I think he'd still need to have it otherwise he wouldn't be on a team like this as they're going to be murderballing folks left and right. I love everything about this roster save the Nemesis redesign. He looks like a mortal kombat character.

I don't think they'll be doing a lot of killing. As the writer states, they're more like fugitives being chased by the Uncanny Avengers. I may be wrong about the killing part, who knows?

#39 Posted by fullmetalquach (94 posts) - - Show Bio

it was pretty insane how she used piotr like that, tragedy makes for the best stories though and his reaction to it was perfect, im also excited for his new role in marvel NOW! it should be a good one and i cant wait to see how the writers handle the drama between him and illyana and see how the rest of the marvel universe treats him and the other phoenix five after AvX

#40 Posted by allthatsgeek (127 posts) - - Show Bio

@fullmetalquach: It is curious to note that on one side of the Summers equation there's Cyke, Mags, Emma, and Magik. Then on the other there's Cable, Domino, Colossus, Dr. Nemesis, and Forge. Anyone who was alive during most of the current storylines have been seated pretty firmly in Cyclops' court. It'll be interesting to see how these two teams interact.

And I also very much hope they kick some Uncanny Avenger butt.

#41 Posted by __transgojobot__ (46 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with  FadeToBlackBolt that the 'reveal' was ham-fisted. Illyana being crazy-sauce has been known, since all the chit she pulled in 'New Mutants'. Besides, isn't this iteration of Magick suppose to be from a future, alternate dimension or something? 

#42 Posted by DATNIGGA (1185 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rickbarry: She was raised by demons so... she is typically a pretty twisted person

#43 Posted by 244 (496 posts) - - Show Bio

@DATNIGGA said:

@Rickbarry: She was raised by demons so... she is typically a pretty twisted person

Not entirely true. Limbo version of Ororo (Storm) did her best to instill some sense of righteousness within Illyana. Illyana is inherently a good person, but her experience with demonic possession (Darkchilde) and the misdeeds through it, it seemed to have broken her and feels nobody can ever truly understand her. What Colossus is going through with the demonic side (Cyttorack), is exactly as how Illyana went through before, minus the part when Belasco stole he soul.

#44 Edited by Nathaniel_Christopher (1551 posts) - - Show Bio

From a moral viewpoint, this is disgusting and awful. Even with everything Illyana's been through (Or this thing wearing Illyana's form, as i'm not sure having her soul completely makes her Illyana and she has claimed to be a child of belasco) this came as a shock to me when I heard about it and later read. Just some deeply twisted stuff. However, this person being insane makes perfect sense no matter who she is. I think it can definitely lead to some interesting stories in the near future. Piotr's love for Illyana has been a core part of his character, so i'm wondering how he'll deal with her manipulation of him. Because i'd personally say this is something that's unforgivable.

#45 Posted by Rickbarry (1744 posts) - - Show Bio

https://twitter.com/cracksh0t/status/246768589883969538

"People who liked the Colossus/Magik scene in Uncanny 18...just wait for issue 20. You are going to croak."

Uh oh. They're going to bump into one another again. I can't see it going well. I'd be willing to bet on Colossus threatening to kill her if he sees her again. First Mikhail and now Illyana go bonkers. Silly Rasputin's.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.