The Rasputin Family Curse.

#1 Edited by Rickbarry (1843 posts) - - Show Bio

I know I'm not the most well read comic fan on this site, but am I alone in thinking that Colossus has had the worst things happen to him over the past 15 or so years in comics? It literally seems like most writers seem fine with the whole idea of 'nice guys finish last' and who better does that apply to than Colossus? I know there are other characters that are dealing with problems. Psylocke comes to mind almost immediately as she's had to deal with what happened to Angel and shortly thereafter Fantomex. So, I'm going to run through the list of what the big guy has gone through some of the more key things that have happened to Piotr. I'll focus mainly on the last fifteen years, but there are a few things that happened before that probably should be listed.

• Parents are murdered by the Russian government
  • Illyana contracts the Legacy virus and dies after a prolonged battle with the disease.
  • Colossus, distraught over his sister, sacrifices himself in order to create a useable vaccine for the legacy virus.
  • Is revived and kept in captivity/tortured by Ord from 2001-2006. (That's gotta be a year or so in the comic timeline, eh?)
  • Inadvertently rescued by X-men and reunited with Kitty. Only to have her taken away by being stuck in the huge bullet.
  • Entire bloodline is wiped out by Sinister. Zero family.
  • Best friend Kurt is killed. (Kurt was the biggest loser here.)
  • Kitty returns, but unable to communicate due to whatever was up with her.
  • Sacrifices himself to save Utopia/San Fran by becoming Juggs.
  • Kitty immediately leaves him and starts relationship with Bobby around two issues later. (Way to make me dislike her, Aaron.)
  • Possessed by Phoenix Force and hangs out with whales that happen to have crab legs. (His only friends at the moment.)
  • This spot is reserved for whatever happens to him at the end of Uncanny. I'm sure it will be bad.

Did I happen to miss anything? Anyone feel like there's another active X-man/woman that's had it as bad as ol' Petey or even worse?

Note: This curse applies to Illyana as well.

#2 Posted by KingAweSam (18 posts) - - Show Bio

Last spot: Gets beaten by Spider-man.

#3 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

Had a strict no killing rule, broke it by killing the Marauder questioning all his beliefs.

Destroyed a perfectly farm good tractor saving his sister in Giant Sized X-Men #1, I mean, his father must have really loved that tractor.

Illyana loses her soul, gets manhandled by a demon at the age of 8 (correct me if I'm wrong).

She loses control of Limbo for like the millionth time.

She gets reverted to a child, and killed, then reborn, and then I'm not sure what happened from there but now she's a demon child again.

Mikhail Rasputin turns out to be alive and a leader of a remote land,

Commits suicide 15 issues after they found him alive.

#4 Posted by 244 (499 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's one for Magik: even though she got her soul back and is now human, it doesn't change the fact that she still see's herself as a monster. That girl is pretty much damaged.

#5 Posted by cattlebattle (13202 posts) - - Show Bio

My belief is they have no idea how to write Colossus, he is just the gentle team bruiser...so his gimmick is terrible crap happening to him.

Conversely, there are other X-families more plagued with disaster than the Rasputins, and other characters with a lot more jaded histories

#6 Posted by 244 (499 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

My belief is they have no idea how to write Colossus, he is just the gentle team bruiser...so his gimmick is terrible crap happening to him. Conversely, there are other X-families more plagued with disaster than the Rasputins, and other characters with a lot more jaded histories

He seems to become interesting in Brian Wood's "X-men" however. Instead of being a follower, he's actually questioning on Storm's leadership.

#7 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@244 said:

@cattlebattle said:

My belief is they have no idea how to write Colossus, he is just the gentle team bruiser...so his gimmick is terrible crap happening to him. Conversely, there are other X-families more plagued with disaster than the Rasputins, and other characters with a lot more jaded histories

He seems to become interesting in Brian Wood's "X-men" however. Instead of being a follower, he's actually questioning on Storm's leadership.

That is because Wood is amazing in general. Colossus and Storm both needed him, because they have seen hell in the last decade. Regardless I feel they just use Colossus for the iconic X-Man factor instead of trying to progress him, and when they do try to progress him it is usually not good. i mean look at the gem and the PF nonsense.

#8 Posted by allthatsgeek (127 posts) - - Show Bio

: I concur, the conversation between Colossus and Storm during last months issue was AMAZING. I'm enjoying this more confident side to him, sure, he's quiet and gentle, but don't forget that he will thoroughly MESS YOUR STUFF UP.

#9 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@allthatsgeek said:

: I concur, the conversation between Colossus and Storm during last months issue was AMAZING. I'm enjoying this more confident side to him, sure, he's quiet and gentle, but don't forget that he will thoroughly MESS YOUR STUFF UP.

I was just happy they made up. They are my favorites along with Psylocke, Gambit, and Nightcrawler "R.I.P"

I did enjoy it though, it did them both justice and acctually showed that X-Men besides Wolverine, Emma, and Cyclops have freakin opinions on things. I enjoyed that they were all given a chance to speak their minds on the subject.

#10 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6023 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, Piotr and Illyana had it rough, but the Bat Family and the Summers Family had it even rougher. Also, I agree about what Psylocke is going through.

#11 Posted by Rickbarry (1843 posts) - - Show Bio

Update!

• Manipulated by his sister into becoming the Avatar of Cyttorak and pushed until it broke him. Now wants to murder his sister.
  • Fugitive on the run after AvX.
  • Powers begin to screw up in the near future.

The list grows!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.