Between Colossus and the Thing (current versions) who's stronger?

#1 Posted by Power NeXus (9899 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not wondering which one of them would win in a fight or anything. I'm just wondering if either one is notably stronger than the other.

#2 Posted by the creator (8577 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that their physical strength is pretty even (with both around the 100 tonne mark).
Colossus is possibly slightly more durable.
Both are probably around the same agility and reflex speed level.
Although Colossus has a more defined martial arts trained style, the Thing is an exceptional hand to hand fighter with his own unique brawling / wrestling style.

It would be a very hard fight on both combatants but I would be tempted to vote for the Thing (but only just).

#3 Posted by SUNMAN (7239 posts) - - Show Bio

There probably the same strength but I will go with the Thing, mainly because he has been around longer and is held in higher regards generally in the marvel U. So if marvel ever did right these two having a fair fight one on one, I waould say the Thing wins or it is a tie, but it depends on the writer. If it is an X-men book than Colossus might be favored. 

#4 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

Steel is stronger than rock

I think Colosus is more powerful

#5 Posted by John_Feaster (341 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, they met and had an arm wrestling match at the end of "Uncanny X-Men Annual # 5", when Sue Storm came to the X-Men after the other members of the Fantastic Four had been captured. It was a draw, till Kitty appeared in a skimpy costume and asked Peters opinion. Colossus was so shocked he lost his concentration and the Thing won. Still, it's pretty clear that The Thing, Colossus, She-Hulk and Sasquatch all have just about the same Strength level. That level just below the major muscle like Hulk, Thor and Hercules.

#6 Posted by the creator (8577 posts) - - Show Bio
G'bandit said:
Steel is stronger than rock I think Colosus is more powerful
The Thing is not make out of rock.
It is simply a drastically hardened and strengthened skin that is the orange 'rocky' outer form he shows. In innner organs and muscles are also toughened but not to the extent of his outer skin.
#7 Posted by Power NeXus (9899 posts) - - Show Bio
John_Feaster said:
   Well, they met and had an arm wrestling match at the end of "Uncanny X-Men Annual # 5", when Sue ... [more]

ROFL :P
#8 Posted by SUNMAN (7239 posts) - - Show Bio
John_Feaster said:
   Well, they met and had an arm wrestling match at the end of "Uncanny X-Men Annual # 5", when Sue ... [more]
I think Current She-Hulk is stronger than the thing. Vance showed me a scan awhile ago where she lifted more than his max at the Baxter building
#9 Posted by the creator (8577 posts) - - Show Bio
SUNMAN said:
John_Feaster said:    Well, they met and had an arm wrestling match at the end of "Uncanny X-Men Annual # 5", ... [more]
Yes she is but wasn't that scan in her comic and so it could be somewhat showing her in a good light i.e. holding up what the Thing can lift but she does it with one arm.
#10 Posted by SUNMAN (7239 posts) - - Show Bio
the creator said:
SUNMAN said: John_Feaster said:    Well, they met and had an arm wrestling match at the end of "Uncanny X-Men Annual ... [more]
This is actually a really good point, I did not think about it like that before
#11 Edited by John_Feaster (341 posts) - - Show Bio
the creator said:
SUNMAN said: John_Feaster said:    Well, they met and had an arm wrestling match at the end of "Uncanny X-Men Annual ... [more]

Which is a bit of a slam on Ben, I think. But, it'll simply say this. The Red Hulk has faced her, and stomped her easily. 
#12 Posted by clmb007 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Colossus is Stronger b/c in Ultimate Universe he even defeated Thor and Iron Man at the same time...I highly doubt the Thing can do that.

#13 Posted by Power NeXus (9899 posts) - - Show Bio
@clmb007 said:
"Colossus is Stronger b/c in Ultimate Universe he even defeated Thor and Iron Man at the same time...I highly doubt the Thing can do that."

I was talking about the mainstream versions. The Ultimate universe is a whole different matter altogether.
#14 Posted by fedykin87 (102 posts) - - Show Bio
@John_Feaster said:
"    Well, they met and had an arm wrestling match at the end of "Uncanny X-Men Annual # 5", when Sue Storm came to the X-Men after the other members of the Fantastic Four had been captured. It was a draw, till Kitty appeared in a skimpy costume and asked Peters opinion. Colossus was so shocked he lost his concentration and the Thing won. Still, it's pretty clear that The Thing, Colossus, She-Hulk and Sasquatch all have just about the same Strength level. That level just below the major muscle like Hulk, Thor and Hercules. "
Actually that was when Colossus was a teenager he was only able to lift 70 tons he and thing were dead even until kitty came in and being a horny teen he lost and back in those days  Sasquatch was acutally stronger than Hulk showing feats that are close to Namor levels now adays he is still in the upper 100 tons but MUCH weaker than he was before. As for Colossus and thing. Thing has been stated to be able to lift a maximum thats just over over 100 tons where as Colossus has been stated to at his very least lift 100 tons. Since a little over it is the limit that the Thing can go and its pretty easy for Colossus I would say Colossus is the stronger of the the two. If it cam down to a fight I would still say its pretty even since Thing is a good brawler and Colossus is a good brawler and trained to fight from various X-Men and is able to use the situation and area to his advantage so I would again give it to Colossus.
#15 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Colossus is stronger than ben going off a few feats that I have seen at tops for both of them

#16 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't Colossus dead?  Wouldn't Thing win by default?

#17 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrMiracle77 said:
" Isn't Colossus dead?  Wouldn't Thing win by default? "
Colossus hasn't been dead for a while lol!
#18 Posted by John_Feaster (341 posts) - - Show Bio
@fedykin87 said:
"@John_Feaster said:
"    Well, they met and had an arm wrestling match at the end of "Uncanny X-Men Annual # 5", when Sue Storm came to the X-Men after the other members of the Fantastic Four had been captured. It was a draw, till Kitty appeared in a skimpy costume and asked Peters opinion. Colossus was so shocked he lost his concentration and the Thing won. Still, it's pretty clear that The Thing, Colossus, She-Hulk and Sasquatch all have just about the same Strength level. That level just below the major muscle like Hulk, Thor and Hercules. "
Actually that was when Colossus was a teenager he was only able to lift 70 tons he and thing were dead even until kitty came in and being a horny teen he lost and back in those days  Sasquatch was acutally stronger than Hulk showing feats that are close to Namor levels now adays he is still in the upper 100 tons but MUCH weaker than he was before. As for Colossus and thing. Thing has been stated to be able to lift a maximum thats just over over 100 tons where as Colossus has been stated to at his very least lift 100 tons. Since a little over it is the limit that the Thing can go and its pretty easy for Colossus I would say Colossus is the stronger of the the two. If it cam down to a fight I would still say its pretty even since Thing is a good brawler and Colossus is a good brawler and trained to fight from various X-Men and is able to use the situation and area to his advantage so I would again give it to Colossus."

Not going to argue about strength. It's clear to me that these days, Colossus is stronger. After all, that issue was back in 1980. But, I do believe that all the Thing's fighting skills are superior (he's been doing this for a looooong time), and that would give him a slight advantage in a real brawl. Stll...if this is a test of strength...Colossus is the winner.
#19 Posted by mr pefect (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Colossus wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#20 Posted by fedykin87 (102 posts) - - Show Bio
@John_Feaster said:
Not going to argue about strength. It's clear to me that these days, Colossus is stronger. After all, that issue was back in 1980. But, I do believe that all the Thing's fighting skills are superior (he's been doing this for a looooong time), and that would give him a slight advantage in a real brawl. Stll...if this is a test of strength...Colossus is the winner. "
Even then so has Colossus, he's been fighting for a looooooooong time as well. Going off the bizarre aging in comics Ben Colossus has been fighting since he was seventeen and he is now in his late twenties and has probably been in just as many if not more fights than Ben then throw in all his training. However since it is about strength its clear that Colossus out classes Thing so he'd no doubt win.
#21 Posted by John_Feaster (341 posts) - - Show Bio
@fedykin87 said:
"@John_Feaster said:
Not going to argue about strength. It's clear to me that these days, Colossus is stronger. After all, that issue was back in 1980. But, I do believe that all the Thing's fighting skills are superior (he's been doing this for a looooong time), and that would give him a slight advantage in a real brawl. Stll...if this is a test of strength...Colossus is the winner. "
Even then so has Colossus, he's been fighting for a looooooooong time as well. Going off the bizarre aging in comics Ben Colossus has been fighting since he was seventeen and he is now in his late twenties and has probably been in just as many if not more fights than Ben then throw in all his training. However since it is about strength its clear that Colossus out classes Thing so he'd no doubt win."

A good point, but the Thinks career as a hero has been about five (Marvel) years longer that Peters, and before Pete became a hero he wasn't a fighter, while Ben has pre-existing combat expierence. I'm just saying, that while Pete's stronger and certainly an excellent fighter, Ben's no slouch. Remember, as stupid as the old story "Marvel Two-In-One" story was, it was Ben who beat the Champion when he came to Earth...not Colossus, Sasquatch or the Hulk. Pete's stronger, but Ben might be a better fighter.
#22 Posted by fedykin87 (102 posts) - - Show Bio
@John_Feaster said:

"@John_Feaster said:

A good point, but the Thinks career as a hero has been about five (Marvel) years longer that Peters, and before Pete became a hero he wasn't a fighter, while Ben has pre-existing combat expierence. I'm just saying, that while Pete's stronger and certainly an excellent fighter, Ben's no slouch. Remember, as stupid as the old story "Marvel Two-In-One" story was, it was Ben who beat the Champion when he came to Earth...not Colossus, Sasquatch or the Hulk. Pete's stronger, but Ben might be a better fighter. "
Ben didn't exactly beat Champion though all he did was impress him enough to not be KO'd or give up after getting beat on by Champion. Ben was still out classed in strength and fighting ability like the others he just kept getting back up which is what Ben is known for, getting his butt handed to him but getting back up. There's no doubt that Thing is a decent fighter but so to his Colossus and even using tactics Thing wouldn't even think about and even though Thing might have had a longer running career I think Colossus way of fighting , experience, and skill more than make up for it. Piotr is no doubt the stronger of the two but I think he's also the better fighter simply because they are pretty even in skill but Thing doesn't realy make tactics or strategies when he fight and Colossus does as he's fighting.
#23 Posted by John_Feaster (341 posts) - - Show Bio
@fedykin87 said:
"@John_Feaster said:

"@John_Feaster said:

A good point, but the Thinks career as a hero has been about five (Marvel) years longer that Peters, and before Pete became a hero he wasn't a fighter, while Ben has pre-existing combat expierence. I'm just saying, that while Pete's stronger and certainly an excellent fighter, Ben's no slouch. Remember, as stupid as the old story "Marvel Two-In-One" story was, it was Ben who beat the Champion when he came to Earth...not Colossus, Sasquatch or the Hulk. Pete's stronger, but Ben might be a better fighter. "
Ben didn't exactly beat Champion though all he did was impress him enough to not be KO'd or give up after getting beat on by Champion. Ben was still out classed in strength and fighting ability like the others he just kept getting back up which is what Ben is known for, getting his butt handed to him but getting back up. There's no doubt that Thing is a decent fighter but so to his Colossus and even using tactics Thing wouldn't even think about and even though Thing might have had a longer running career I think Colossus way of fighting , experience, and skill more than make up for it. Piotr is no doubt the stronger of the two but I think he's also the better fighter simply because they are pretty even in skill but Thing doesn't realy make tactics or strategies when he fight and Colossus does as he's fighting."

I'm...not going to argue the point, as I'm SO ASHAMED THAT I USED THAT STORY AS AN EXAMPLE!!!

I mean, that Champion story was so bad, that the only good thing to come of it was the awesome "Dial M For Monkey" episode where Machoman Randy Savage voiced "Rasslor" - an interplanetary Professional Wrestler who came to Earth to battle it's greatest warriors. It was obviously written by someone who read the original story, and the parody was so perfect that I wish I had a VHS copy to watch right now.

Yeah. It's a pretty even fight. And all things equal, Ben's spent more time working on his strength than practicing his moves. Pete's always learning from his teammates, and if push came to shove...I could see Pete and Ben as equals in fighting savy, but Pete's strength would push the contest into his favor every time.
#24 Posted by Hulkstrongerthan1 (1041 posts) - - Show Bio

thing lifts 100tons

colossus lifts 200tons atleast

#25 Posted by Power NeXus (9899 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hulkstrongerthan1 said:
"thing lifts 100tons  colossus lifts 200tons atleast "

.............................no. 
Seriously, where the heck did you get that info??
#26 Posted by Waffle Fries (884 posts) - - Show Bio
@Power NeXus said:
"@Hulkstrongerthan1 said:
"thing lifts 100tons  colossus lifts 200tons atleast "
.............................no. Seriously, where the heck did you get that info?? "

he made it up.
#27 Posted by Hulkstrongerthan1 (1041 posts) - - Show Bio

thing is 95
colossus is 100

thing is rocky on the outside
colossus is competly solid

thing has blood
colossus bleeds pure energy

colossus is better

#28 Posted by Power NeXus (9899 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hulkstrongerthan1 said:
"thing is 95 colossus is 100 "

Stop pulling numbers out of your butt, and post a few verifiable and relevant facts.
#29 Posted by Hulkstrongerthan1 (1041 posts) - - Show Bio

thing is class 95 trust me

#30 Posted by Power NeXus (9899 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hulkstrongerthan1 said:
"thing is class 95 trust me "

I know more about Marvel comics than you do. Trust me.
#31 Posted by TheFlash29 (36 posts) - - Show Bio

Go colosuss
#32 Posted by Juggman (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Thing has actually reach Class 100, but it's unknown how far into that Class he is.

Colossus on the other hand has caught a 300 ton ship, while he was injured, and other things of that magnitude.

#33 Posted by Psychoblitz (4 posts) - - Show Bio

According to the Marvel site it's self on the power grid. Colo is a 7, and Thing is a 6. Personally though, i do feel Colo is stronger, all thigns taken into account. Colossus' entire insides, just like the Thing, is made of what's on the outside too, there's really not much difference between the two besides Height. The Thing is 6'0 500 pounds, Colo is 7'5 500, for whatever that's worth. 

Also for what it's worth, if it degenerated to a fight between the two. Thing is a brawler, but he's very loose and does his own thing. Colossus has had training with Cyclops and Wolverine in hand to hand combat, and acrobatics from Nightcrawler. If we're talking strength for strength in a straight up brawl? I might've said Ben could hold his own. But Colossus has way more in his repetoire than that, and that's gotta be overwhelming. 

One more reinforcement is that even Red Hulk said Colossus would be a match for his Green Hulk incarnation right before he defeated him. That's gotta count for something, unless you're someone still stuck in the 80's.

#34 Posted by SKARHEAD (10 posts) - - Show Bio

@fedykin87 said:

@John_Feaster said:
Not going to argue about strength. It's clear to me that these days, Colossus is stronger. After all, that issue was back in 1980. But, I do believe that all the Thing's fighting skills are superior (he's been doing this for a looooong time), and that would give him a slight advantage in a real brawl. Stll...if this is a test of strength...Colossus is the winner.

"
Even then so has Colossus, he's been fighting for a looooooooong time as well. Going off the bizarre aging in comics Ben Colossus has been fighting since he was seventeen and he is now in his late twenties and has probably been in just as many if not more fights than Ben then throw in all his training. However since it is about strength its clear that Colossus out classes Thing so he'd no doubt win.

THIS ^^

Let's look at this

Colossus is trained by Wolverine and Cyclops in fighting and tactics...He's alsostronger, taller, has a far superior reach, and I'd wager is faster as well.

Thing is ultra tough and a seasoned brawler on the big stage...colossus really should be able to not just stalemate him...but beat him...ben has that left hook though -lol

#35 Posted by Mekunekud (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Colossusnaut is one of the strongest beings on the planet. He effortlessly beat The Thing when they fought on the Moon and wasn't even phased. Were Colossus to not have the Juggernaut power set, I would say about even in strength but Thing is more durable but currently Piotr is Thor class power where as Thing is calm Hulk at his peak and even then he can't really beat any of the Hulk tier guys. I love Ben Grimm with all my heart but he hasn't really been relevant in strength since the 80s when everyone got ramped up thanks to Marvel trying to compete with DC on the stupid strength deeds scale.

#36 Posted by Hyperlight (5872 posts) - - Show Bio

colossus was a 70 tonner as a teenager, ben was a 5 tonner when he just got his powers. why would thing be stronger

#37 Posted by God_Spawn (37907 posts) - - Show Bio

colossus was a 70 tonner as a teenager, ben was a 5 tonner when he just got his powers. why would thing be stronger

Because he's evolved and worked out over decades to increase his strength?

#38 Posted by Hyperlight (5872 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: colossus did the same thing didn't he? he just started out much stronger

#39 Posted by God_Spawn (37907 posts) - - Show Bio

@hyperlight: Yes, but that doesn't mean he would stay stronger. How his strength has progressed vs the Thing's has been radically different over the years.

#40 Edited by Hyperlight (5872 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: I hear you but do you really think thing should have caught up with colossus with such initially radically different power levels? there both beasts I just always figured colossus should be the bigger threat of the two. colossus was stronger for most of his career but since the thing is on smaller team he is shown to be more beastly where in an x men comic they have to show all 30 mutants doing there thing lol.

on a side note, I always figured colossus to be one of the strongest mutants in the world besides namor and apocalypse... would you agree or disagree?

#41 Edited by God_Spawn (37907 posts) - - Show Bio

@hyperlight: I think he could have. The Thing was meant to be the FF's powerhouse, but he was initially really weak. The Thing made his first appearance in what, 1961 I believe? And Colossus I believe was created in 1975. The Thing has a good 15 years on him to develop and is in a much smaller team as you said. It allows a bit more room for growth. With that said, the Thing has always been doing things above his paygrade. The character has been throwing down with characters like Namor, the Hulk, and Black Bolt etc for decades. On paper he is listed weaker, but the character has been doing class 100 things when he was like a class 80 and possibly before that. Reed is also a lot smarter than the X-Men, and has invented machines to help the Thing. Colossus and the X-Men have the Danger Room, but they are limited by comparison. So it kind of depends how you look at it. I think it is perfectly acceptable that Ben be as strong. The character has constantly been mutating and using Reed's inventions for training to make himself stronger.

And I agree. Colossus is easily one of the physically strongest and most durable mutants out there.

#42 Posted by Rickbarry (1790 posts) - - Show Bio

@hyperlight:

And I agree. Colossus is easily one of the physically strongest and most durable mutants out there.

He's more than a set of rippling muscles, God_Spawn. He's got a mind too!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.