Follow

Dancer #5

Dancer » Dancer #5 - Coda released by Image on September 1, 2012.

Dancer #5

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

There will be some spoilers ahead. It's really hard to talk about this issue without mentioning some particulars. It will be blacked out, and it will look like a classified file.

We were left on quite the cliffhanger in the last issue. Alan had been shot by the cloned version of himself, and Alan's dying body floats under the ice in a stream. Quinn was still being held by cloned Alan. All hope seems a bit lost.

As you may have guessed, Alan isn't dead. We get this fantastic scene of Alan coming up out of the water. It's a very cinematic page, but frankly, this whole series could easily be one fantastic movie. The issue continues as an edge-of-your-seat thriller as we finally see what happens to Quinn as cloned Alan gets the upper-hand on her.

This is such a bittersweet issue and ending. What you truly want to happen, to make this a "fairy tale" ending, doesn't happen, but yet, everything ends on a high note, in a sense. Maybe I've become insanely attached to this world and these characters, but I was biting my nails while reading this one.

DANCER 5 contains one of my favorite revenge sequences I've seen in years as Alan goes back to work for Fox, then just blows everything up in a lab. This was a seriously awesome scene, and it is a huge surprise from where I thought it was going to end.

I've been praising this book since issue one. Nathan Edmondson does a fantastic job with writing this issue, and I loved all the twists and turns he fit into this last issue. Once again, Nic Klein's art is beautiful. He's awesome with establishing shots, and these two guys work insanely well together to create a tension filled book that is one of the best mini-series I've read in years.

The Bad

I'd really like to see more from these characters (Alan and Fox), but I don't know if we'll get any.

Also, don't jump on here. It's the last issue. That's a terrible idea. Find the first four issues.

The Verdict

While I'm sad this mini-series is ending, it wraps up beautifully. DANCER is a book that mixes comic book story telling and cinematic story telling in a brilliant way. It reminds me of some of my favorite films, but with a unique twist. I loved the twists in this last issue, and the ending could not have been more perfect. As always, Edmundson and Klein are brilliant at their jobs.

Overall, I highly recommend this issue and series.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.