Clockwerk has been around since atleast 1300 B.C. as he is in a portrait with Slytunkhamen II Cooper. He at some point replaced his body with robotic parts and kept himself immortal. After Sly Cooper was born Clockwerk founded the Fiendish Five and was responsible for the murder of Sly's dad, Connor Cooper. Clockwerk and the other members of the Fiendish Five took pages of the Thievius Raccoonus, using the pages to commit their own crimes.
When Sly created his own gang and wanted to take back the pages of the Thievius Raccoonus, Clockwerk was a mysterious member only known as "the fifth member". After Sly had been reviewing the pages from his ancestrial book he relized that an odd silhouetted bird appeared in all the pictures of his ancestors. Wondering what this ment Sly and the gang headed to the Krack-Karov Volcanoe for his confrontation with Clockwerk.
Based in the volcano, Clockwerk had developed a giant Death Rayfor unknown reasons and used it to attempt to destroy the Cooper Gang as they tried to enter his headquarters. Sly and company were able to pass through unharmed from the deadly weapon and continue through the facility despite Clockwerk also sending swarms of Robotic Falcons and Fire Slugs after them. Devising another trap, Clockwerk had already captured Inspecctor Fox and used her as bait to lure Sly into his gas chamber where he planned to finish him off with the toxic gas. It was at this time that Clockwerk revealed himself through a televised screen and mocked the Cooper clan for letting their emotions get the better of them. However Bentley hacked into Clockwerk's security system and managed to release them both from the gas chamber. The two made a truce and planned to take down Clockwerk with Sly using Carmelita's jetpack to assault him from the sky. In their advance, they destroyed Clockwerk's Death Ray and Sly retrieved the jetpack, using it as he finally confronted Clockwerk, face to face. The two exchanged a brief banter and Sly learned of Clockwerk's past, having hated the Cooper family to such a degree that he replaced his entire body with machinery to live on and annihilate every living Cooper in an attempt to eclipse their legendary thieving reputation. They engaged in battle in the air with Sly receiving support from Carmelita and eventually defeated him and Clockwerk plummeted into the molten lava of the volcano. He then rose up again, albeit damaged by the first fight, and desired to finish off the raccoon. Sly questioned how Clockwerk could have been ignorant that Conner Cooper had a son and wondered why the metallic monstrosity didn't kill him when he murdered his father. To this, Clockwerk revealed he left the young Sly alive to prove a point: without the prized book which detailed all of the Cooper Clan's skills and history, a member of the Cooper Line was nothing. Sly only replied that Clockwerk was wrong and that the Thievius Raccoonus didn't make a great Cooper but that a great Cooper made the Thievius Raccoonus. Clockwerk refused to acknowledge his chatter, and was determined to kill Sly like he had killed Conner Cooper and usurp the title as master thief solely for himself.
After engaging in another battle, Clockwerk again plummeted into the volcano and began activating his self-repair system to rejuvenate his heavily damaged form, refusing to be destroyed. While attempting this last effort of his to combat Cooper, Sly traversed over to the archaic bird and bashed his head in, finally putting out of commission the last member of the Fiendish Five. The battered and destroyed parts floated in the lava and were left to rot when the gang left, but unbeknown to them a single red eye of Clockwerk opened.
|The Clockwerk parts were recovered by Interpol after the battle and, after two years, were put on display in a museum in Cairo, Egypt. A criminal organization known as the Klaww Gang stole Clockwerk's body parts and used them for their own purposes before Sly and the gang could steal the parts themselves. The gang managed to take back all of the parts from various Klaww Gang members during their travels, but all were stolen from them by another Klaww Gang member Jean Bison, who sold them to his associate Arpeggio.|
The legacy of Clockwerk, his robotic body, was eventually reassembled at the headquarters of the Klaww Gang member Arpeggio. Constable Neyla, who had previously been assumed to be an ally of Sly, was in fact conspiring with Arpeggio and had been helping the mastermind gather the parts. Arpeggio was knowledgeable of Clockwerk and his secret of immortality through his formula of hatred and desired to become one with the archaic bird and be reborn with eternal life. However, before Arpeggio could merge with the parts, Neyla betrayed him and merged herself with Clockwerk's frame instead, thus creating a new being out of the ages old bird and dubbing herself asClock-La.
Sly witnessed this and was hunted down by Clock-La in the skies while he and his gang of Murray and Bentley try to weaken her so they could finally finished off what remained of Clockwerk. Teaming up with Carmelita yet again to defeat the robotic bird, Sly battled Clock-La, who then captured both Murray and Bentley, leading Sly on a dangerous chase through the skies over Paris after her. Sly succeeds in defeating Clock-La and releasing his friends from captivity, leaving her disabled but not destroyed. During the skirmish, the revelation of Clockwerk's true source of power, the Hate Chip, is discovered and the gang manage to come up with a plan after finding Clock-La still alive. With group teamwork, Bentley was able to enter the open beak of Clockwerk's head and remove the Hate Chip. The beak then suddenly snapped down on Bentley shortly after and crushed his legs, being recovered by Sly and Murray with the Hate Chip in hand, the three left the area as Clock-La was destroyed and Clockwerk's frame was blown into pieces yet again.
To their surprise, the parts were still in perfect condition, as a side-effect of the Hate Chip and an embodiment of the Coopers never being rid of him. Carmelita then destroyed the Hate Chip herself and the parts immediately deteriorated, killing both Clockwerk and Neyla. A sign of the end to Clockwerk's reign of terror and his hunt of Sly and the entire Cooper Line. Unfortunately, the damage Clockwerk's beak had done to Bentley had him confined to a wheel chair for life and would be a lasting effect of his final words to Sly years earlier "Cooper! You will never be rid of me!".
Clockwerk was obsessed with proving himself superior to the Cooper Clan. He can be identified as a psychopathic serial killer, being able to endure thousands of years of waiting before planning to finish off the Cooper name with Sly ten years later. He openly mocked the Cooper family whenever he had the chance. He was able to create advanced technology and numerous plans on how to eradicate the elusive Sly Cooper while he invaded his lair in Russia. This gave his boasts some merit but also led to developing a superiority complex, stating that his robotic form was perfect for granting him immortality just to keep up with the Coopers through history. Overall, Clockwerk was a bitter and obsessed character who desired nothing more than the eradication of his nemesis, Sly Cooper and his ancestors, at whatever cost, even his own body. This however, proved to be his downfall.
Clockwerk's biological body was at some point replaced with highly advanced robotic parts imbued with the ability to never rust or decay and could even repair itself after suffering incredible damage. This allowed him to survive beyond his intended life span as a person. Equipped with a multitude of weapons, including missiles, flamethrowers, laser emitters, launchers that could fire electrified rings, mechanical eggs that could launch mini choppers, and an energy weapon. In addition, Clockwerk was extremely resilient to damage, as simple weapons like Carmelita's shock pistol and jetpack missiles were individually ineffective against him. In addition, Clockwerk's body could survive being heavily damaged and submerged in molten lava; this could be contributed by the Hate Chip and Clockwerk's self-repairing body. It was given spare engines in the event Clockwerk was unable to use his wings to fly.
In part for his ability to survive with a combination of his hatred and mechanical improvements, Clockwerk was remarkably intelligent. He had constructed his lair on Karak-Karov Volcano and developed multiple weapons and vehicles for the Fiendish Five to use for their own personal schemes including hover vehicles and his death ray, as well as devising a gas chamber which later incapacitated Sly. He was able to think accordingly and execute cunning plans, assaulting and slaughtering Sly's father and being able to lure Sly into his gas chamber by manipulating his feelings for Carmelita. He also created a legion of mechanical birds, similar to him, and hordes of lava monsters to do his bidding.
In Sly 2, Clockwerk's body is fully repaired by Arpeggio so that each individual member of the Klaww Gang could use their share of the Clockwerk parts for their own purposes. Each individual part had also served its own purpose in Clockwerk's design as a Cooper hunter:
- Clockwerk Tail Feathers: Used by Dimitri, the Clockwerk Tail Feathers were put to use as printing plates for his Paris counterfeiting operation. Because of their metallurgical properties, the Tail Feathers would have never worn out. These helped, in some manner, with Clockwerk's flight.
- Clockwerk Wings: Taken by Rajan, the Clockwerk Wings weren't put to any practical use. Instead, Rajan had them mounted on a statue in his palace, where he hoped they would bring him prestige. While alive, they were a symbol of Clockwerk and feared when sighted by any Cooper.
- Clockwerk Heart: Another of Rajan's parts, the Heart acted as a powerful pump that allowed Rajan to grow illegal spices at much faster rates than normal. Half the Heart was used in this manner, while the other was attached to the end of Rajan's staff, allowing him to unleash electrical attacks. This pump helped Clockwerk survive through out the ages.
- Clockwerk Eyes: Components with powerful entrancing qualities, the Clockwerk Eyes were given to the Contessa, who intended to use them to enhance her own hypnosis machinery. They were known to paralyze a Cooper with their hypnotic gaze.
- Clockwerk Lungs and Stomach: Given to Jean Bison to transport illegal spice across Canada, the Lungs and Stomach allowed him to keep his Iron Horse trains running all day and night without stopping. Their powerful pumps helped Clockwerk survive through out the ages.
- Clockwerk Talons: Razor-sharp blades capable of slicing through plates of steel, the Clockwerk Talons were used by Jean Bison in his lumber jacking enterprise. Clockwerk intended for them to swoop down and shred the Coopers with their deadly edge. It is possible that the talons were original, meaning that Clockwerk did not replace them while making himself fully robotic.
- Clockwerk Brain: The final Clockwerk part given to Arpeggio. He did not use his part for any criminal purposes like the other members did. The brain was actually never seen on screen except when you see the blueprints for Clockwerk's mechanical body, and it's not confirmed what happened to them. Arpeggio might have just left out the part while reconstructing Clockwerk, or the brain was in the frame, but not active.
- Hate Chip: Power source of the Clockwerk Frame, the Hate Chip is what gave the Clockwerk parts their seeming immortality. Once it was destroyed, the Clockwerk parts rusted and decayed until there was nothing left. This was the prime component in the Clockwerk frame that allowed Clockwerk to survive with only his hatred as a fuel. It is also interesting to note that the technology to develop something like the Hate Chip didn't exist until things like computers were around, so how Clockwerk made or obtained the Hate Chip in the first place is a mystery.
- Multiple unnamed parts : Unidentified pieces given to Jean Bison but were later sold to Arpeggio along with the rest of the parts. These helped in fully assembling Clockwerk as a complete being and protected him and the other Clockwerk parts from being harmed. Among these are probably the clockwerk tongue, head, body, legs & feet.
All these parts assembled would create the Clockwerk Frame and were the basis for helping Clockwerk live through time and later help spark his partial rebirth as Clock-La. With the destruction of the Hate Chip, Clockwerk's body and therefore Clockwerk himself was permanently destroyed.