ryonslaught's Cloak and Dagger #1 - The Broken Church review

• ryonslaught wrote this review on .
  • ryonslaught has written a total of 293 reviews. The last one was for

Leaving the X-men

View Summary and scans here

The Good

Cover- Absolutely breathtaking cover art by Mark Brooks

Story- Very simple and to the point, the issue serves to remove Cloak and Dagger from the X-men and finally answer the question of whether or not they are mutants. Stuart Moor handles this in a very quick and decisive manner within the very first few pages but also adds layers to what would otherwise be a cut and dry answer. Both Cloak and Dagger want different things, it’s always been a trademark of these characters to be together but here the age old question central to their dynamic is brought up again; are they together because of love or is it necessity? They need each others powers to survive so maybe it’s all just dependence? I mean if you had a relationship in which both your lives depended on being together how could you ever leave? Whether bored or no longer in love? Truth is you couldn’t leave and these characters end up right where they begun, together again for better or worse.

Art-Every panel on every page s painstaking built and just heaven to behold, Faces are expressive, character designs distinct while colors and inks add depth to the already beautiful art. Just gorgeous!

A question of race?- When Dagger tries to get assistance to search for Cloak and Cyclops who has his hands full running this mutant nation can’t seem to find time or even think it important enough to warrant his attention she calls him out on effectively reverse racism. That is Cloak is not important because he’s not a mutant. It’s an interesting question which got me thinking of any race who has been victimized feeling isolated and alone when in few numbers but when they are in the majority perpetuate the same racism on another minority. Sure Scott was genuinely bus but its food for thought!

The Bad

Was a whole comic needed to move Cloak and Dagger off Utopia and away from the X-men? Probably not, and the story didn’t contain anything worthwhile enough to warrant a follow up + Cloak and Dagger have now gone back into comic book limbo until Spider-Island in 2011.

The Ugly