Hellraiser: The Road Below #1

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gmanfromheck

Note: As a big Clive Barker fan, I have some big expectations.

The Good

Even though it's been a few issues since Kirsty Cotton (from the first two Hellraiser films) made the sacrifice in taking the original Pinhead's place as a servant of Hell, it's still a bit of a shock. If you've been following the recent HELLRAISER series from Boom! Studios, you know that Kirsty was far from a victim. She survived the previous ordeals and grew strong in fighting off the demons. Now she is in a new position. As Hell's Priestess, she hasn't been called to Earth by the LeMarchand device...until now. Seeing how she deals with the position and how she will take on her first mission will be something.

The story focuses to those that will be calling the new Pinhead to Earth. There is a situation involving a feud between other...creatures living on Earth and what happens when Kirsty gets involved will me interesting.

The art makes the story move along as eagerly await what will happen next.

The Bad

I'm not sure if being a few issues behind in the regular series will affect this miniseries. I wasn't really sure of the full story involving those on Earth. You can pick up on what's going on and what the characters' motivation is.

The art was enjoyable although there were a couple moments of inconsistency. The head or hair style of characters varied a little in a couple panels. As a big fan of the first two films, the scene where the device was used to call the new Pinhead was a little disappointing. I imagine it'd be a little difficult to fully capture the atmosphere from the movies but it was too quick and not ominous enough.

I would have also liked to have seen more of Kirsty after she was summoned. That's what the rest of the series will show us.

The Verdict

If you've been following the HELLRAISER series or have seen any of the movies, the idea of Kirsty Cotton as the new Pinhead is still a shocker. Seeing her first days in her new role is one that will be fascinating to see. This issue sets up the story leading to someone summoning her. It would have been nice if there was a tiny bit more explanation or summary on the credit page explaining who the other characters involved here were. The art is good with a couple moments of exception. We have a nice set up and seeing where this will go to next issue is enough to make you want to come back for more.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.