Follow

Cliff Chiang

Person » Cliff Chiang is credited in 489 issues.

Cliff Chiang is an editor and artist for DC and Vertigo comics. He is currently the main artist of the new Wonder Woman series.

This Year's Heroes Con's Looking to be Pretty (in Pink)

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
     How long before we see limited-edition, convention-exclusive pink Phoenix  figures?
     How long before we see limited-edition, convention-exclusive pink Phoenix  figures?

Heroes Con puts it best when describing its Annual Art Auction as “one of the most well-known and enduring traditions on the convention circuit.” The only auctions I’ve ever been had race horses and antique furniture on sale, so I think it’s really cool that fans get a chance bid on art they might not have a chance to get otherwise (and rub elbows with creators too.)  It’s a shrewd move on the con’s part to cover some of their exhibiting costs and it also gets artists to think outside the box a little and do pieces that run a bit more unusual. Case in point --  Cliff Chiang’s revealed that he’s putting the piece to the right up on the auction. Do the layout and composition seem a little familiar to you? That’s because Chiang’s put Cyclops, Phoenix and Wolverine into a set-up based off the poster for John Hughes’ classic teen comedy, PRETTY IN PINK.

I think word must be given to Heroes Con, which is happening Charlotte, NC, next weekend.  As someone who’s lived in areas of the country that are far away from the convention circuit, I think it’s great that this con’s thriving in an area much removed from San Diego, New York and Chicago - - giving fans in that region a chance to get the con experience and meet their favorite creators. This year’s show already has a stacked line-up that includes Brian Bolland, Frank Cho, Mike Mignola, Dustin Nguyen and Tim Sale, among others. I also think it’s great that this show has been around since the early 80s, yet it’s still keeping its focus on comics. If you’re around Charlotte, it’s looking like you’ll have a great time if you make this show. == TEASER ==

Now, back to the subject of poster homages, I wanted to include some more covers that similarly paid tribute to John Hughes’ work ( as I09 has pointed out) as well as other pieces Chiang himself has done to riff on other classic film soundtrack covers. You’ve, of course, got the LONERS covers paying tribute to PRETTY IN PINK, too, as well as WEIRD SCIENCE, SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL, FERRIS BULLUER’S DAY OFF, SIXTEEN CANDLES and the BREAKFAST CLUB. Chiang’s also does his own spin on the BREAKFAST CLUB, along with PURPLE RAIN and FLASHDANCE.

I get such a kick out of these. I’d like you maniacs in the Comic Vine community to post some more examples of this kind of thing. Look through the covers for DEADPOOL:MERC WITH A MOUTH and NECROSHA to start. What are your favorites?

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Studios and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Pre-order the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover now on Amazon.com.

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By jordama

I really like the Cyclops, Wolverine and jean one.
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By sora_thekey
    @jordama said:
    " I really like the x-men one :d "
    Yeah same here... sadly I won't be going to Heroes Con!
    Astroknot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Astroknot

these are kind of awesome

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cmaprice

John Hughes was awesome.

Time for a Weird Science comic (as in th Hughes film and short lived tv series, not the 50s comic).

ragdollpurps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By ragdollpurps

the teen titans one is sweet.
    mrrpm01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By mrrpm01

I CAN'T WAIT FOR HEROES CON!!!! I MUST HAVE ALL THESE!!!

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By TheMess1428

I've seen the Teen Titans: Breakfast Club one on Google before. Pretty funny.

The Island

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The Island

I don't mind artists depicting women in pink but if they start showing men in pink then its downright feminization of boys and men. 

We don't want that now do we.

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By jordama

When I read the the thing i actually thought that it was going to be related to a breast cancer donation thing or something
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10  Edited By jakob187

This all reminds me of how much I hate the '80s.  Thanks, Tom.  Thanks a lot.  =  P

Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Cherry Bomb

I wanna see a pink Emma!  
    - that would be hot. :3 like a Playbody Bunny or something.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.