Follow

Cipher

Character » Cipher appears in 249 issues.

Mysterious woman who appeared to inform Ink that the Young X-Men were in peril. Cipher has the mutant ability to phase through solid matter. Despite her similar name, she has no connection with the New Mutant, Cypher. She is currently enrolled at the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning. Alisa Tager is later revealed to have been hiding at the school from an unknown threat.

Why aint she being used?

daken_2513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By daken_2513

Shes got complere stealth 
       1   invisibilty 
       2   intangibility 
       3   undectable to telepaths 
    Her character can be used more for sure

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By jordama

I know right! She is pretty awesome, and she actually has an active power, when she is phaseing into someone, she can releae a "bioelecric charge" she really should be used more.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#3  Edited By xerox_kitty

Mainly because writers don't understand the character, as she wasn't given enough chance to appear in Young X-Men before it was cancelled.  There are SO many mutants on Utopia who just don't get a chance to shine because they're relegated to the silent cameo or walk-on-bit-part.  I miss the old days when you had core teams and you knew you would get the chance to see your favourite characters.

kai95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By kai95

Well I agree, and she's way more powerful than Shadowcat. And according to her background Jean Grey was connected to her, so maybe if/when she come back they will prbably use her character more.

grimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By grimm

They sort of forgot about her. I mean in Young X-Men they talked about how she stayed hidden because someone was going to find her. Someone she was terrified of. I would've liked to see who this was.

Jubilantlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jubilantlad
    @daken_2513:  If Marvel were smart, they would make another New X-Men book and she could be in it. I dream.
    riri4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By riri4life
    @kai95 said:
    "Well I agree, and she's way more powerful than Shadowcat. And according to her background Jean Grey was connected to her, so maybe if/when she come back they will prbably use her character more. "

That would be awaome!
    bleedingheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By bleedingheart
    @Jubilantlad said:
    " @daken_2513:  If Marvel were smart, they would make another New X-Men book and she could be in it. I dream. "
    I would love this
    Jubilantlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jubilantlad
    @bleedingheart: Tell me about it.
    bleedingheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bleedingheart

Hopefully all the excitement of the next EPIC STORY ARC will die down, and Marvel can once again focus on characters. 

Another thing I would love is a Young X-men/Gen X type cartoon on my tele. WITHOUT Wolverine...

RavenDark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By RavenDark

Perhaps many writers keep forgetting her (she is invisible and undetectable...; ) ) because they probably are FORGETTING that Cipher and Cypher are two different mutants! 

On the side note, they really should have a new "new" or "young" X-men comic again because there are tons of great and legendary mutants not being used, and there is no true character development in X-men......just arcs that show a panel or two of your favorite X-man....

bacchusV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bacchusV2
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " Mainly because writers don't understand the character, as she wasn't given enough chance to appear in Young X-Men before it was cancelled.  There are SO many mutants on Utopia who just don't get a chance to shine because they're relegated to the silent cameo or walk-on-bit-part.  I miss the old days when you had core teams and you knew you would get the chance to see your favourite characters. "
    totally agree on this statement. i miss a core team too. and those many mutants on utopia certainly need to have their stories heard. limbo's overflowing already.
    Cytorrak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cytorrak

Probably because she's boring.

There's nothing unique or interesting about her design, personality, costume, or story, she's just an average black teenager with dreadlocks. They need something that makes them stand out, or their fate is getting depowered and blown up in a bus, or worse -Forced onto the worst volume of New Warriors ever written. 

That, and she's too powerful. Mutants tend to only have one power. Some powers are more versatile than others, and grant numerous associated abilities, but she just feels like a random combination of every useful ability.

She can fly, she can phase through objects, she can zap people with bio-electricity, she can become invisible, and she's undetectable by psychics.

It's too much for such a boring character. She doesn't have weird skin, or glowing eyes, or a cool haircut in an unnatural color.

Not to mention she premiered in one of the most disappointing X-Books in recent years (which is saying something.)

With a few exceptions, most of the New X-Men created had interesting designs, stories, powers, and gimmicks. Surge is a Japanese chick with blue hair and robotic gauntlets with electrical powers that can grant her super speed. Loa can phase, but with a deadly consequence of disintegrating the matter if she's not careful, and she has reddish brown hair and body markings. Mercury is an Ish redhead with a liquid metal body. Hellion's a telekinetic with no hands.

On and on the list goes, the more interesting characters tend to stick out in some way. You know how in a lot of Marvel books in the upper corner of the cover where the issue number is there's a little picture with a bunch of the character's heads? If the character doesn't stick out and look interesting there among the others, then they just aren't memorable.

Picture Cipher's head up there in that group, would you readily be able to say with certainty it wasn't Cecillia Reyes, Frenzy, Threnody, Gorilla Girl, Stevie Hunter, Charlotte Jones, Nightshade, Punchout, Hub, Heather Hudson, or Aliyah Bishop?

Warpath Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Warpath Storm

She should join X-Force,

Yes I know she isn't a killer....or is she? They could give her a dark past and then that way X-Force could have someone who is pure stealth and have another girl on the team, and have a black team member.

Avatar image for the_diamond_prince
    The_Diamond_Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is first I'm hearing of her character. I even had to clarify if you guys meant New Mutant's Cypher. She is one of the few mutants not depowered...that's kind of a big deal. Do writers even know that she exists...? haha

Warpath Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Warpath Storm

Read Young X-men most think it was bad, I think it was kinda good.
    CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By CellphoneGirl

I would really love to see more of her.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.