Follow

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

Volume »

Sabrina is here in her own dark ongoing series.

Sabrina #1

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

SABRINA #1 is on sale Wednesday, October 8.

The Good

This is not the Sabrina you might be familiar with. It should also be noted that this is not the Sabrina you've seen in AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE. You can consider this an alternate reality version set in the 1960s.

Archie comics are usually looked at a certain way. What we're seeing is there is more to the characters than what many perceive to be the case. Just as Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa is showing us in AFTERLIFE, these characters can be seen in a darker and more mature fashion. This is not a comic for kids.

Right away, you'll get a sense of the darker tone. Robert Hack does a superb job in establishing the vibe of the series in the art and colors. We get to see Sabrina just after she was born. As my daughter has a deep fondness for Sabrina, I have asked her before about Sabrina's past based on the comics she's read. Most of us know that Sabrina is a teenage witch living with her two aunts, who are also witches. I've often wondered why she was living with her aunts. What happened to her parents? Who were her parents? We get to find out the answers to these questions and more, in this version of Sabrina.

Seeing Sabrina grow up, we get enough of her story leading up to her first day of high school without it feeling too bogged down or reading like just another origin story. There's a delightful mix of Sabrina's innocence combined with the deeper darker tone that makes this more of a horror story rather than a simple coming of age one. The setting in the 60s also helps to keep it separated from AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE as well as the regular Archie comics. And it also makes it all feel that much creepier.

You also get a lot of comic for the $3.99 cover price. The main story is 28 pages and includes the five page first appearance of Sabrina along with a few pages of Robert Hack's sketches and designs for the series.

The Bad

There were a couple moments the art felt a tad inconsistent. This mainly happened with Sabrina as a teenager. In a couple panels her face wasn't as detailed as in the preceding one.

We get to see a couple of other witches from a certain town. Their appearance was a bit of a surprise and I'm not sure how that fits into the entire story here and if it's something that come into play later. It caused a tiny bit of confusion.

The Verdict

Archie Comics and Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa have given us another comic that shows Archie comics are not 'just for kids.' In a darker telling, we get to find out who Sabrina Spellman is. Whether you're familiar with the character or not, you'll get a slight sinking feeling as you become immersed in this different setting and get a taste of what's to come in the rest of this ongoing series. Robert Hack's art establishes the mood from the very first page. There are a couple moments of inconsistency but the art and colors will let you know you should be prepared to be a little freaked out by this book. Forget everything you know or think you know about Archie Comics. This is a book you should keep an eye on.

Here's the preview pages:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 the_stegman  Moderator

I didn't even know the Sabrina character was from Archie, I thought the show was her first incarnation.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I like the cover art more

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

After Archie, I'm down with another character of the franchise. They seem to do well with the horror genre so far.

rac_shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll give this a try, hopefully it ships more regularly than Afterlife with Archie.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Already got this issue pre-ordered! Very excited for it!

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks nice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Huh, this actually looks kind of interesting.

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just might have to pick this up. Sabrina has always been one of my favorite characters and this twist will definitely give her the edge/character development she needed. I'm glad they launched this, it caught me completely by suprise.

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Does Salem still talk lol?

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#10  Edited By fables87

OMG I WANT THIS SO BAD!

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

wow, check Mr. Spellman's Shadow over Diana... his EYEBROWS...look so demonic, as if the shadow was of his true form.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's different, far different from the Sabrina I first saw in Sabrina and the Groovy Ghoulies.

consafo80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not read this yet hope to get it on weekend. But it seems Sabrina is dabbling in some dark magics or so I've heard. Idea: What if this is set before Afterlife and one of her spells causes the zombification of everyone (I've not read Afterlife yet so don't know if reason for zombies already given)

CatBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Absolutely loved this issue.

When Aguirre-Sacasa referenced in an interview that he hopes this series will last till Sabrina becomes a Supreme Fiona Goode-type character from AHS: Coven, I squealed.

I hope the same thing.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.