roxanne_starr's Chew #3 - Taster's Choice, Part 3 of 5 review

Amelia's Foodie Duty

Uh oh...this is what I was afraid of.  The Chew storyline is sliding downhill.

I thought the writing was more interesting in issue #2 than issue #1, but the introduction of Amelia caused me some trepidation. Introducing a romantic interest (that didn't exist from the very beginning) in a comic so soon makes the whole storyline seem rushed and turns the whole project into a "love comic." I would have preferred for Chu to have a few more adventures working for the FDA before being sidetracked by a woman. So, now we have the third issue of the series almost totally revolving around Tony's infatuation with this restaurant reviewer.

Will this be an ongoing series or just a 5-issue mini? The breakneck speed at which Layton is taking this book makes me wonder if he will even have enough material to take it to #5. I hope I'm proven wrong, but right now I have a problem. I haven't had enough time to get to know and empathize with Tony to care whether or not he gets his girl.

The art, as usual, is fabulous.