Cheetah Needs Respect

Posted by KillerZ (1604 posts) - - Show Bio

Often hearing about Cheetah (the current Barbara Minerva version) being too weak, I felt that I need to raise the opinion of her.

So, thinking about the DC's Trinity of Evil (opposite of: Bats, Supes and Wondy), who would be Wonder Woman's Lex Luthor/Joker? I hear lots of people saying it's either Ares or Cheetah, but they soon exclude Cheetah, as she is portrayed as too weak and no match for Wonder Woman. And of course Batman one-hitting her into knockout and Catwoman's victory on Hellplanet, doesn't show Cheetah in a good light.

Now lets look the facts of how strong and fast Cheetah is, and if she deserves to be Wonder Woman's "Lex Luthor" :

Cheetah's strength

is supposed to be on the same level as Wonder Woman, this was established in Minerva's first appearance in Wonder Woman #9. She can break trees with her tail... Superman compares Cheetah's strength with Captain Marvel (Shazam) and Wonder Woman.

Cheetah's Speed

should be also on the level with Wonder Woman, how else she could take down Flash. Even Wonder Woman agrees by saying she is a challenge to her, even if she is in full health.

Currently we can only say that she is treated weak, only because heroes need to win in the end, and she is merely a villain in their way.

#1 Posted by ComicMan24 (147085 posts) - - Show Bio

She had her speed augmented by Zoom.
#2 Posted by KillerZ (1604 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24: Actually she had the speed in her, Zoom just taught her how to use it.
#3 Posted by ComicMan24 (147085 posts) - - Show Bio
@KillerZ: I agree with you that she is a strong opponent.
#4 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

Zoom didn't augment her speed at all.  He only helped her psychologically by telling her to kill Pricilla Rich, the original Cheetah and embrace herself as the one true Cheetah. 

She was faster when she fought the Flash because she somehow absorbed some of his speed (before he took it back) but those scans of her fighting Wonder Woman?  Zoom didn't have anything to do with that.

#5 Posted by ComicMan24 (147085 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zoom:
I was refering to the newer scans when I said about the speed augmentation.
#6 Edited by velle37 (6058 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say Circe or Silver Swan. But more Circe. 

Ares is like the Darksied or Ra's al Ghul. But Circe could fit into Joker and Lex, tho she's waaaaaaay more powerful. The second Silver Swan used to be her best frined so the emotional turmoil is there, which could go with the Lex/Joker psychological themes (arrogance/insanity/betrayal) maybe. 

Circe's my choice.

#7 Posted by velle37 (6058 posts) - - Show Bio

Unless they augment Cheetah's image she wont get respect. Ppl see her speed and think that's all there is. Until lthey show feats of strength, her healing, magic augmentation, etc, she'll be overlooked.
#8 Posted by Oluf_Von_Host_Museum (84682 posts) - - Show Bio

#9 Posted by Jake Fury (18434 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler:
@Gambler said:
"

"

I'm a little confused about the last pic....clearly she's wearing a halter top...then her midriff is bare and spotted...but her pants???
#10 Posted by Oluf_Von_Host_Museum (84682 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury: Hell if I know lol. Seriously though, if you look closely you can see the fabric/material is bunched up and creased. So I'm assuming its just the design of her pants (cheetah print)
#11 Posted by Jake Fury (18434 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler:
Hahaha. 

well it just made it look rather revealing!
#12 Edited by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24 said:

"@Zoom: I was refering to the newer scans when I said about the speed augmentation. "

So was I. 

Zoom did nothing to alter Cheetah's powers.  Only her confidence.  I've got the issue right in front of me. 

Plus there are several instances of Wonder Woman and Superman being totally amazed at Cheetah's speed before Zoom had even been introduced.  She's always had that speed.
#13 Posted by KillerZ (1604 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zoom said:
" @ComicMan24 said:

"@Zoom: I was refering to the newer scans when I said about the speed augmentation. "

So was I.  Zoom did nothing to alter Cheetah's powers.  Only her confidence.  I've got the issue right in front of me.  Plus there are several instances of Wonder Woman and Superman being totally amazed at Cheetah's speed before Zoom had even been introduced.  She's always had that speed. "
Yeap, I even uploaded the image here

#14 Posted by Daffodil (57 posts) - - Show Bio

Cheetah's definitely Wonder Woman's Lex Luthor.  For the Trinity of Evil, Lex represents intelligence (and wealth), Joker represents fear and insanity, and Cheetah represents physical strength and speed.  But they all hate their respective superheroes almost equally.  Ares hates Wonder Woman, but at the same time seems intrigued by her.  Circe hates her, but respects her.  Cheetah flat-out hates her.  Plus you'll never see Ares hanging out with Lex or Joker, and if you see Circe with them it's just because she's being incredibly out-of-character.

I loved the Justice League issues where the three of them worked together and Joker irritated Cheetah to no end.  It would be great to see more of the three of them working together in comics.

#15 Posted by Icarusflies (12491 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Cheetah will get more respect now that she actually wears clothes...

#16 Posted by WW-Fan (2738 posts) - - Show Bio

if anyone thinks Cheetah is weak! go read Rise of the olympians! She kicked ass there :)

#17 Edited by KillerZ (1604 posts) - - Show Bio

And this is the lack of respect of her yet again, one might say it also is the lack of respect for Wonder Woman, as she has no villain on the picture.

#18 Posted by WW-Fan (2738 posts) - - Show Bio
@KillerZ said:
"

And this is the lack of respect of her yet again, one might say it also is the lack of respect for Wonder Woman, as she has no villain on the picture.

"

oh wow thats horrible
#19 Edited by velle37 (6058 posts) - - Show Bio
@KillerZ said:
"

"

It is weird they would put Catwoman there. 

Catwoman has beaten Cheetah several times though, somehow. She did it in: When in Rome (they were in close range and i think Selina choked Cheetah out with her own tail), and in another of her title books when villains were being transported to a faraway planet as punishment (Lex was there, a few others, there were probably 50 or so villains there, maybe less). 

I think she did it again somewhere else too. But this was before Cheetah's strength amp.
#20 Edited by CylonDorado (1867 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I think Cheetah would be a great movie villain. She'd be too fast for the authorities to do anything against, and the fact that she fights with teeth and claws adds a grisly, disturbing quality to her. Add in that she's a decent mastermind, and you've got yourself a movie.
#21 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

Who the hell doesn't respect Cheetah

#22 Posted by WW-Fan (2738 posts) - - Show Bio

she is very smart too! wasnt it her idea to make Genocide?
#23 Posted by KillerZ (1604 posts) - - Show Bio
@WW-Fan: 
Yes, she did do that, and she masterminded the replacment of Sarge Steel.
#24 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree that the Cheetah is a powerful & awesome villain who DESERVES more respect.

#25 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3732 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes she does indeed. 

#26 Edited by RyuHayabusa (2019 posts) - - Show Bio

@KillerZ: The one fighting Superman is Sebastian ballesteros.

Here is another feat of Cheetah(minerva)

Moved so fast that Supergirl and Donna troy couldn't see her or sense her.

#27 Posted by dawsey28 (182 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

@velle37: There was no strength amp. That was just godawful writing from Batman writers who don't know a thing about any other characters.

#29 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

She needs notable personality or an icon moment not a power up. What is biggest thing Cheetah ever did?

#30 Posted by velle37 (6058 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jointron33 Lol, this is truth

#31 Edited by KillerZ (1604 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hazlenaut: Yeah, she has power, it's usually forgotten by writers though.

She does need a big moment of glory on her name, so she would be remembered more. Right now I think her biggest moment is masterminding the creation of Genocide, from the clay of places of biggest human misery. And then bringing down the Department of Metahuman Affairs and replacing Sarge Steel with Doctor Psycho for a while.

#32 Posted by Jakesully1981 (281 posts) - - Show Bio

@KillerZ Oh i always adored Cheetah (Minerva) since i was a kid in the 80s reading DC comics even of Wonder-Woman to watching reruns of Super Friends on syndicate TV as she has been one of my comic character crushes. But her mutated literal Cheetah form is smokin' hot, Batman was so lucky to kiss such a beauty like her and she probably is one of his many love interests.

#33 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by KillerZ (1604 posts) - - Show Bio

Unpublished stories don't really count since they are unpublished. Put they were nice to look at and dream of Cheetah's superiority over Wonder Woman.

#35 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

So... can anyone explain to me why Cheetah is Wonder woman's archenemy?

#36 Posted by Baddamdog (2223 posts) - - Show Bio

The next JL arc is going to show just how bad ass she is. She's coming back in style it seems.

#37 Posted by KillerZ (1604 posts) - - Show Bio

Also because of the numbers:

• Cheetah - 250 appearances
  • Circe - 189 appearances
  • Ares - 153 Appearances
#38 Posted by KillerZ (1604 posts) - - Show Bio

@Baddamdog said:

The next JL arc is going to show just how bad ass she is. She's coming back in style it seems.

That actually gives me a reason to start reading DC again, since she was the only character I followed before. Well she and Pantha, and we all know what happened to her.

#39 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#40 Posted by AmazingWebHead (1863 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree! She's clearly A-list villain material, yet they treat her like some B-list chump! They can't even come up with an origin that actually gives a reason why she hates Wonder Woman.

And these three NEED to team up more often!

#41 Edited by JackKnight (2969 posts) - - Show Bio

The New 52 Cheetah is badass! :)

#42 Edited by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

i have hope that new 52 will give cheetah the respect she deserves.

#43 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

i hope to see more highlight moments in cheetah's villan month issue.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.