Follow

Checkmate

Team » Checkmate appears in 280 issues.

UN-sponsored organization that monitors metahumans all over the world. It has an elaborate ranking hierarchy modeled after chess pieces.

Would U Buy It #49: "Checkmate: The Janus Directive"

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Edited By cbishop
    DateWUBI # 49:View:Attached to Forum:Back/ Next
    11/15/10Checkmate: The Janus Directive(Blog) (Forum)Suicide Squad: The Janus Directive(Back) (Next)

We all have trade paperback (TPB) collections we'd like to see. Here's one of mine:

Proposed Title:Checkmate: The Janus Directive.
    Alternate Title:The Janus Directive.
    Collecting 11 Issues:
    • Checkmate #15-18 (Part 1, 3, 5, 9)
    • Suicide Squad #27-30 (Part 2, 4, 8, 10)
    • Manhunter #14 (Part 6)
    • Firestorm #86 (Part 7)
    • Captain Atom #30 (Part 11)
    Covers: (click to enlarge)
    No Caption Provided
    TPB Cover: Checkmate #15
    TPB Cover: Checkmate #15

The Janus Directive is one of the first story arcs I remember that had a uniform title banner and crossed over into multiple titles, without being a company-wide crossover. Checkmate and Suicide Squad were carrying some heat back then, so this story seemed like a big deal at the time. I didn't get to read the whole thing as it was coming out, and have yet to collect all of the issues so I can read it in its entirety. I think this would be a fun ride though.

I went with the Checkmate title, because Checkmate started off the arc, and because of all the titles involved, it has the highest visibility with today's fans. Plus, Suicide Squad was kind of a part of Checkmate at the time, so it wouldn't make sense to have that be the main title. For the cover, although I like Peacemaker on Suicide Squad #28, I'd go with the part 1 cover, from Checkmate #15. Going with the Checkmate title for the TPB, that makes more sense anyway.

Would you buy it? Let me know in the comments, and thanks for reading.

No Caption Provided

#14: Suicide Squad: The Janus Directive.

Moving this to the Suicide Squad: Janus Directive forum!

More WUBI:

Back/ Next#Which WUBI will it be:
    Back:48.Team Titans: Total Chaos.
    Next:50.DC Comics Presents: Superman and Shazam!.

.WUBI Index.

Thanks again!

Checkmate: The Janus Directive
    Checkmate: The Janus Directive
    thechessclub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By thechessclub

Haha YES! And I've been trying to find all the individuals for YEARS now. Nobody ever has these obscure books at shows though. So I need to just buckle down and Ebay em, but finding a seller with all the ones I need is going to be anoying=P

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#2  Edited By RazzaTazz

Checkmate was the second group to join Task Force X, so I would say it would be better listed under Suicide Squad.  Especially the first and last issues of JD dealt almost entirely with ongoing plotlines in the comics titles and only dealt superficially with JD.  Better to list under Suicide Squad.  Great series though

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cbishop
    @thechessclub: PM me what issues you are looking for.  I've just recently moved to an area with better stores for back issues.  If I can locate 'em, I'll let you know. ;)

@RazzaTazz: Checkmate's the more recognizable name right now, which is why it carries that suggested title, so I'll stick with this forum.  But thanks.  Are you sure about Checkmate being second to join TFX though?  My knowledge is sketchy of these titles, but I thought Task Force X was the official name of the Suicide Squad, and that the Squad was then an on-the-side, covert ops team run by Amanda Waller, while she was part of Checkmate.  Do I have that wrong?
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razzatazz: You were right- it was reprinted as a Suicide Squad book. Good on ya. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.