Follow

Chaos War

Story arc »

The Chaos King embodied the universe before anything existed. He is the nothingness from which everything sprang and the state to which it will someday return. While this may be an inevitable cycle, the Chaos King wished to destroy the multiverse before its time, hoping to ensure that it would never be able to recreate itself again.

Chaos War Spoilers!

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Martian

By TJ Dietsch

This October sees the launch of a five issue limited series called CHAOS WAR starring Hercules, the Hulks, Thor, The Silver Surfer, Galactus and a host of others. Co-written by Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente with art by Khoi Pham, the saga promises to pick up on threads from recent cosmic stories as well as the writers' INCREDIBLE HERCULES.

"The Chaos King, the living embodiment of the void before time and space began, has decided he liked things better before everything was," explains editor Jordan White. "He's on a mission to wipe out all of existence with an army of alien space gods at his back, and the only ones who can stop him are the gods of Earth's pantheons, lead by the all-new God Squad! Hercules leads Thor, Sersi, Venus, Galactus, and The Silver Surfer in protecting all of reality against The Chaos King!"

Of course you may be wondering at The Chaos King's true identity, which Pak reveals as Mikaboshi, the god killed Zeus in the ARES limited series and popped up in INCREIDBLE HERCULES during Secret Invasion.

"Virtually every mythology describes a state of chaos and darkness that existed before creation itself," Pak says. "The Chaos King is the personification of that chaos and darkness. In essence, he's the antithesis of creation."

A villain with such power and motivation as well as an army of subjugated gods won't be easily taken down, so it's up to the recently resurrected Hercules to lead the God Squad, a task he's not necessarily too thrilled about.

"The story is the giant culmination to the epic heroes' journey [Hercules] and Amadeus Cho have been taking since day one," Pak promises. "They're each going to learn huge things about themselves and each other as they face the greatest challenge of their lives. Also, as will soon be revealed, Herc ends up in a position wherein he is the only one on the planet who can do what he has to do. He's a guy who's spent most of his life in the Marvel Universe being the good-natured, super-powered second banana who steps in at the last minute to save the day without having to think too much about the whole thing. So taking the front-and-center role as the leader of the fight to save all of existence saddles him with more responsibility than he's ever had. And we better hope he's ready for the challenge."

Though CHAOS WAR flows from plot points laid down over two years ago, Pak promises that it will also be new reader-friendly.

"As we were midway through our first story arc-the "Against the World" storyline that immediately followed World War Hulk-we got word that we'd been approved to keep going," the writer recalls. "So we sat down and began to hash out the big picture.  We're paying off everything that we'veset up from the beginning with this storyline, but at the same time, it's designed to be entirely accessible to someone picking up with CHAOS WAR #1, so come on down, new readers!"

INCREDIBLE HULKS will also be playing a big part in the War starting with December's #618, showing the Hulks dealing with these deity-filled trials and tribulations.

"The Hulks wind up in the middle of the Chaos War after coming back from their first team adventure against Hulk's Dark Son, Hiro-Kala," White says. "After the emotional ending of that story-running September through December in INCREDIBLE HULKS-the Hulks come home to find the Earth under attack from Chaos King and his hordes, and you know the Hulks aren't going to let something like that go un-smashed."

"The ongoing theme of the INCREDIBLE HULKS book has been family; it's about how the sometimes unbearably close ties of family have the power to redeem you or destroy you," Pak adds. "The big question is whether the Hulks come out of "Dark Son" redeemed or destroyed and how that experience will then feed into the terrors they're about to face during Chaos War."

Marvel.com

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Hmmm this might be interesting although I am confused. How is it a story about the panthons of Earth fighting against an Eldar God... and yet Galactus and the Surfer are involved.. that's just weird. Also who thought the name God Squad was a good one.. that ranks up there with the Bastards of Evil being the worst team name of all time.

Although I will give it a shot.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_Martian
    @Nova`Prime`:  I like Bastards of Evil.
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nova`Prime`

To each his own :)

council elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By council elite
    @Nova`Prime`:
    i like the god squad lol
    council elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By council elite

Chaos War is going to be sooooooooooooo awesome!!!

Benzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Benzo
    @council elite said:
    " Chaos War is going to be sooooooooooooo awesome!!! "
    Agreed! :)
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Martian
    @council elite:  I hope so :)
    Avatar image for emerald_general_jai
    Emerald_General_Jai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

Can't wait. AND looks like they gave Herc some EP, FINALLY! If this in any way ends w/ him as head of his pantheon, that'd be sweet. Either way glad to see him back finally. 

MichaeltheFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#10  Edited By MichaeltheFly

I guess my question is whether or not the entire Marvel Cosmos participates cuz if not I ain't that interested.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By AtPhantom
    @Beast-X said:
    " This is more like a story made me to invent a good excuse to bring Hercules back to life puts him at the Throne of "Supreme God" of Olympus, in place of Zeus and Hera and find a reason most "logical" for put, Amadeos Cho, in his place, without having to involve having to kill Herc, who as the new "Leader" of the Gods of Olympus have many obligations and would have to "appoint" someone as his "successor" among the heroes of Marvel Comics. ..     "
    That's would presume they haven't been planning this since before Hercules was killed. You can't have something be an excuse to kill someone off if killing him off was part of the same story.

My question is What is Galactus doing there?
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hamz

Not really interested. Never been a fan of Hercules or Amadeus Cho etc.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Nice, Mikaboshi is starting to become a favorite of mine.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Magian

I like the idea. So Sersi is back. Two questions though: 
    1)Didn't Delphyne become a human? 
    2)Was it Ares in one of the pictures?
    council elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By council elite
    @ComicMan24: she turned back to a gorgon when athena turned back to normal.
    ya that was ares in a flashback.
    council elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By council elite
    @Beast-X: herc was never really dead,
    he's somewhere in the multiverse.
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Magian
    @council elite:
    Thanks.
    The Gray Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By The Gray Fox
    @AtPhantom said:
    "My question is What is Galactus doing there?"

Think about it, the Universe is struggling to bounce back from the four Annihilation Wars (Annihilation, Conquest, War of Kings and The Cancerverse War), two of which Galactus was involved in, and now Amatsu-Mikaboshi has returned to our reality with the 900 Slave Pantheons once owned by Kly'bn and Sl'gur't and has declared war on a Universe that is literally on the verge of collapsing. Galactus knows that the Universe cannot handle another war like this one and has (more than likely) decided to take matters into his own hands and end Mikaboshi's insane quest for revenge before the Elder God's actions result in the total annihilation of all Creation.
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AtPhantom
    @The Gray Fox said:
    " @AtPhantom said:
    "My question is What is Galactus doing there?"
     Think about it, the Universe is struggling to bounce back from the four Annihilation Wars (Annihilation, Conquest, War of Kings and The Cancerverse War), two of which Galactus was involved in, and now Amatsu-Mikaboshi has returned to our reality with the 900 Slave Pantheons once owned by Kly'bn and Sl'gur't and has declared war on a Universe that is literally on the verge of collapsing. Galactus knows that the Universe cannot handle another war like this one and has (more than likely) decided to take matters into his own hands and end Mikaboshi's insane quest for revenge before the Elder God's actions result in the total annihilation of all Creation. "
    Doubt it.

For once, the universe doesn't give a damn about any of this. From Annihilation to Thanos Imperative the only thing to affect the universe itself rather than its inhabitants is Black Bolt's sound bomb, and even that is minute compared to the whole scale of the universe.

Second, Galactus doesn't give a damn about such things. He only engages in wars when other people bring wars to him.

Third, I really doubt this will have anything to do with ALL of creation...
    council elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By council elite

pak & van lente are like the best writing duo everrrrrrrrrrrrr

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PowerHerc

Hercules returning with the Power of Zeus and leading a new God Squad line-up ( including Thor and Galactus) is almost too much to ask for.  I hope this story does Herc justice.
    council elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By council elite
    Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Thor's hammmer

thats impressive hercules + zeuses power since zeus is stronger than Thor and just as powerful and hercules is just as strong as Thor  
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @council elite:
    agreed 
    I'm a big fan 

and I'm stoked to see Sersi get back in the frey 
    I always liked her back in the day
    "Colossus"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By "Colossus"

i guess were finnaly going to see what zeus power is capable of
    Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By Kurrent

I'm all over this. I love Herc and can't wait to see him back

"Colossus"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By "Colossus"

is mikaboshi  oblivion in disguise?
    D3athstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By D3athstroke

What ? What is Galactus doing there

Random Bucket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By Random Bucket

Mikaboshi is one of my favorite new villains, Herc is my favorite marvel characters since they rehashed him and Amadeus Cho is my favorite side-kick next to Dick Grayson. Really can't wait for the chaos to ensue

Scary Tousers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By Scary Tousers

I dissagree that Universe doesn't give a damn about threats to it's own existence, Abstracts and Celestials, who are suppossed to represents the will of the Universe, opposed Many-Alleged Ones in Thanos Imperative. And Galactus does care about destruction of his food supply and Mikaboshi's insane rampage really seems to disgust him.
    And said destruction pretty much HAS something to do with ALL of creation, considering what was already destroyed at this point.

By the way, anybody else noticed blink-and-you'll miss it nod in Chaos War: Dead Avengers #1, placing this event on timeline in relation to Thaons Imperative?

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PowerHerc
    @Shadowdoggy said:
    "@council elite: agreed I'm a big fan  and I'm stoked to see Sersi get back in the frey I always liked her back in the day "

Yes!  It's always good to see Sersi.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.