Does Marvel have any sense of continuity anymore?

#1 Posted by Saren (25681 posts) - - Show Bio

So an axe with a simple Asgardian enchantment can apparently kill Celestials in one hit now. So why did it never occur to any Asgardian, even Odin, to use this weapon in their less-than-propitious run-ins with the Celestials?

Moderator Online
#2 Posted by Aiden Cross (15569 posts) - - Show Bio

That's.... Odd to say the least. Hopefully there'll be an explaination because i have none.

#3 Edited by SC (13120 posts) - - Show Bio

Ahaha. Well its Remender innit. He is the same writer who figured Storm and Gambit weren't that close. Granted he managed to write Uncanny X-Force in a compelling enough way for many people, and I like how he writes some characters, but he doesn't seem to actually know that much of characters histories or Marvels continuity beyond the superficial. I sort of just cross my fingers with him when it comes to characterization/continuity.

#4 Posted by Tiamut (87 posts) - - Show Bio

This is unreal...

#5 Posted by millennium (208 posts) - - Show Bio

when have they ever had a since of continuity from what i can remember the last 20 o so years have just been nothing but one big cluster f^*% of retcons, soft reboots, and gimmick event after gimmick event after gimmick event more so now than ever befor

#6 Posted by Tiamut (87 posts) - - Show Bio

@millennium: can you tell me what comic this image is from?

#7 Edited by millennium (208 posts) - - Show Bio

@tiamut: the uncanny avengers and i think this is from this months issuse where they started the apocalypse twins story ark

#9 Posted by Hyper_God (933 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane: That scan notwithstanding , the events of Thor # 300 haven't been retconned in anyway whatsoever . Remender(the guy who wrote that scene) had Odin refer the pact of non-interference that the skyfathers made with the Celestials in an earlier issue .

That said , what makes this more retarded is the fact that in Pak's concurrent X-termination run , the Celestials were repeatedly credited as being the architects of Creation and the most powerful beings in the universe .

Interestingly enough , Pak also explained that Celestials are actually aspects of a singular entity linked throughout the multiverse , so I'll be willing to bet that the Arishem which the Apoc twins killed in the above scan from UA#7 , is merely an aspect of the true Arishem .

#10 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

writers have just gone full retard throwing their beautifully established cosmology just to throw in a bunch of 'WTF' moments, Gruenwald must be rolling in his grave right now.

#11 Edited by Polarity (106 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane: That scan notwithstanding , the events of Thor # 300 haven't been retconned in anyway whatsoever . Remender(the guy who wrote that scene) had Odin refer the pact of non-interference that the skyfathers made with the Celestials in an earlier issue .

That said , what makes this more retarded is the fact that in Pak's concurrent X-termination run , the Celestials were repeatedly credited as being the architects of Creation and the most powerful beings in the universe .

Interestingly enough , Pak also explained that Celestials are actually aspects of a singular entity linked throughout the multiverse , so I'll be willing to bet that the Arishem which the Apoc twins killed in the above scan from UA#7 , is merely an aspect of the true Arishem .

This is why I kind of blame the editors more than I do any sort of writer. Editorial should be catching stuff like this but, either because they don't care or because they're weak, they don't. It seems like Marvel's writers get to run amok without much (needed) oversight.

#12 Edited by X_insignia1 (1393 posts) - - Show Bio

This actually angers me. Now i understand why some readers tend to drop certain issues. This is utter, and complete bull. Someone needs to get fired.

#13 Posted by Xwraith (18328 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc: I think it's now safe to say that Remender peaked very early.

#14 Posted by lol (5158 posts) - - Show Bio

No, marvel was very inconsistent but not in all stories in the last years

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.